Case 1840 Problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

stss

I post in the Skid Steer section then noticed this area. I am getting a noise from the underside of my 1840, it only occurs after being worked for a few hours and will go away after the machine has been sitting for some time, I asked a local mech. on his thoughts and he said that the drive chains could be binding due to the lack of chain lube, I need to know if the chain box on this model is filled with gear oil or if it is lubricated with grease. The dealer i purchased the unit from had informed me that the drive chains where replaces with in the last few years. It is a 1998 1840. Also would anyone know of a online manual for this model. Any information would be helpful. Thanks Bill

Tazza

Staff member
I would suspect it simply runs in oil like most of the other machines.
How much chain noise are you talking about? a small amount of 'chain slap' isn't a real issue. You can try lifting the wheels off the ground and see how much each wheel will rotate by hand. On each side, they should turn the same amount back and forth with the slack in the chain.
I'm wondering of it gets noisier as the oil warms and thins out, the noise "may" be normal.
I have a bobcat that uses a steel guide for the chain, it makes a slapping noise. The other one i have uses plastic, its quiet as a mouse.

OP
OP
S

stss

I would suspect it simply runs in oil like most of the other machines.
How much chain noise are you talking about? a small amount of 'chain slap' isn't a real issue. You can try lifting the wheels off the ground and see how much each wheel will rotate by hand. On each side, they should turn the same amount back and forth with the slack in the chain.
I'm wondering of it gets noisier as the oil warms and thins out, the noise "may" be normal.
I have a bobcat that uses a steel guide for the chain, it makes a slapping noise. The other one i have uses plastic, its quiet as a mouse.
Thanks for the re: It is a very loud knocking snapping noise, I can feel it on the foot plate when it happens. I am thinking then that there is no oil or very little in the chain case. I use the machine this morning for about 40 minutes an no noise, I know when I clean a larger area and work it hard it will most likely come back. Anyone have an idea how to check the level of the drive chain oil? Thanks again. Have a great day!

jerry

Thanks for the re: It is a very loud knocking snapping noise, I can feel it on the foot plate when it happens. I am thinking then that there is no oil or very little in the chain case. I use the machine this morning for about 40 minutes an no noise, I know when I clean a larger area and work it hard it will most likely come back. Anyone have an idea how to check the level of the drive chain oil? Thanks again. Have a great day!
https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/webparts/main.php On this website it shows a pipe plug between the wheels low down on the chain case which may be the oil level. The one I saw is item 4.

skidsteer.ca

https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/webparts/main.php On this website it shows a pipe plug between the wheels low down on the chain case which may be the oil level. The one I saw is item 4.
Also the 1840 I'd looked at had a oval ? cover in each front corner of the cab, won't show you the oil level but very easy to inspect the chains. Do the slack test also,and while its upin the air see if you have any play in the wheels bearings by shoving them in and out and try up and down.
Ken

DRTURBO69

Also the 1840 I'd looked at had a oval ? cover in each front corner of the cab, won't show you the oil level but very easy to inspect the chains. Do the slack test also,and while its upin the air see if you have any play in the wheels bearings by shoving them in and out and try up and down.
Ken
Inspect parking brake pins for adjustment at front wheels-mine cable was worn out and tried to apply pin. Thanks Doc