Case 1816b Skidsteer 18 HP

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1816b

I have borrowed my father inlaws case skidster 1816b. It has been running great until the last couple of weeks. The engine has been running rough at times. When I start it it runs great for about 10 - 20 minutes. Then after it warms up, for some reason it does not want to stay running and stalls out. If I pull the choke all the way out ( on ) it runs fine for a few minutes and starts to run rough again. Then I push the choke back in ( off ) and it will run fine for a few minutes then it starts to run rough again so I pull the choke out ( on ) again and it run fine for a few minutes. I am getting tired of doing this I would like to fix the problem. I have put a fuel cleaner and water remover in the gas tank thinking this may help but it made no change good or bad. Then I changed the fuel and air filter thinking that might be the problem, but again no change still runs the same having to push and pull the choke. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong, and how to fix it. I asked my father inlaw if he had any ideas and he said it might be the fuel pump, he was not sure. Can anyone help. Thank you.

Tazza

Staff member
I would suspect the carb needs a clean out. If the jets are blocked, you some times can keep it running with using the choke. The only problem is when you do this, you use more fuel and can make things get hotter than they should. I would start with giving the carb a good clean out and re-tune it.

ben@g2g

I would suspect the carb needs a clean out. If the jets are blocked, you some times can keep it running with using the choke. The only problem is when you do this, you use more fuel and can make things get hotter than they should. I would start with giving the carb a good clean out and re-tune it.
I agree. Had the same problem on my snow blower, and using the choke on and off got me through finishing the driveway. Then cleaned out the carb, and it's been running good ever since.