Case 1816 electric clutch

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Junkcollector

New to the site, in search of electric clutch for case 1816 with original techumseh oh160 engine, or suitable replacement ideas for clutch. The terminals were ripped out of the field coil and am unable to repair.

OP
OP
J

Junkcollector

Thank you flyer dan! I will check it out right now!
No such luck on the field coil from messicks, I ordered it and they refunded me shortly after and said the part was obsolete with no replacements found. Was hoping I could come up with another machines electric clutch setup to use with the 3 rib pulley on the case. I saw someone post that they used one off of an old Jacobsen commercial mower. Does anyone have any experience with this route? Thanks for any help

fubaru4

I too am in need of a magnetic clutch for a case 1816, were you able to find a replacement?
No such luck on the field coil from messicks, I ordered it and they refunded me shortly after and said the part was obsolete with no replacements found. Was hoping I could come up with another machines electric clutch setup to use with the 3 rib pulley on the case. I saw someone post that they used one off of an old Jacobsen commercial mower. Does anyone have any experience with this route? Thanks for any help

SkidRoe

I know some of the older 3XX series John Deere Garden tractors used a magnetic clutch on the PTO - the 318 used an ONAN engine as well... shot in the dark...

the.hogman

I know this is an older thread but if it helps!

I replaced the Tecumseh motor with a 16HP Onan out of an old Sears garden tractor. (Super easy). Honestly, the power taken by the hydraulics has never been an issue. I never flip the switch on mine. Engaged all of the time, cold or warm weather. Starts right up.

Maybe try a standard pulley and get away from the electric?

rjitreeman0909

I know some of the older 3XX series John Deere Garden tractors used a magnetic clutch on the PTO - the 318 used an ONAN engine as well... shot in the dark...
318 has a single groove pulley. Try a motor rebuild shop they may be able to repair existing coil or rewind new. Should be cheaper than OEM replacement.
OR try direct contact with clutch manufacturers. They maybe able to rebuild using existing mainframe and magnetic parts.
I know some of the older 3XX series John Deere Garden tractors used a magnetic clutch on the PTO - the 318 used an ONAN engine as well... shot in the dark..

pogo

I have a couple sears tractor electric clutches [I think sears] single groove B belt brand new, fit 1-1/8 shaft. I don't know about mounting to your particular engine but I think they were using 16 or 18 hp onan at that time.. $125.oo plus ship, via usps flat rate under $15 I think.. If you tex me at 860-308-6581 and give me a tex number I can send you a few pic.

Latest posts