can you machine a Hydraulic Pump??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mkash002

Hi all, I've got an old Bobcat 641. It seems that the hydraulic pump has given out. I took it apart and there are grooves in the back housing. I was told that this was the cause of it's poor performance My question is: can I machine the grooves out OR do I have to buy a new pump ($1000+)?

rjitreeman0909

Machine is a broad word. If a flat open surface, surface grind to achive a clean flat surface. You will then need to "machine", grind the rotating conponent similarly. It will also be necessary to grind the housing sueface to regain the required minimal clearance. I believe .0025 to .0030 would be approoruate. Machined an alumibun cover and rotor and regained OEMspecs for boom lift pump.

Tazza

Staff member
Grooves will not help, but if you do flatten it, it may help.
If it's a vane pump, a new pump cartridge will not run you 1k, talk to loader parts source, for a few hundred you'll get a new rotor with vanes and the cam plate or what they call it (the outer housing).
This is the main part of the pump, as long as the wear on the front and back plates isn't too bad, new internal parts should bring it back to life.