Buzzer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ThomasM

Just wondering why they dont put a buzzer in the older model bobcat skid loaders? Mine is a 1993 743B and it does not have this. I just think it would be benificial for when you are outside of the cab say running a log splitter or backhoe attachment and the engine or hydraulics get hot, or any other malfunction. I know the system shutdown module is an option. I know case loaders have the buzzer in the older models, just not sure why bobcat didnt. I was thinking of adding one.

Tazza

Staff member
It would be a nice addition, you can buy a "watchdog" system that will shut the machine down if it detects over temperature/loss of coolant or low oil pressure.
If you are indeed worried about that situation, they are only about $100, cheap insurance against a $5,000 engine! I'm seriously thinking of adding one to my 751 that i'm doing.

OP
OP
T

ThomasM

It would be a nice addition, you can buy a "watchdog" system that will shut the machine down if it detects over temperature/loss of coolant or low oil pressure.
If you are indeed worried about that situation, they are only about $100, cheap insurance against a $5,000 engine! I'm seriously thinking of adding one to my 751 that i'm doing.
I would think you could also wire in a buzzer so it sounds if any of the 2 warning lights come on. A few diodes and a buzzer would do the trick I think.

Tazza

Staff member
I would think you could also wire in a buzzer so it sounds if any of the 2 warning lights come on. A few diodes and a buzzer would do the trick I think.
That would tell you if your hydraulics had problems or oil pressure, but not heat..... I think the biggest problem would be over heating, it would be very rare for the others to have issues when you were out the machine.
All i know is i'm sort of paranoid about my machine over heating.... Probably because i know that if it did, i'm up for around $1500 for a new head!.

OP
OP
T

ThomasM

That would tell you if your hydraulics had problems or oil pressure, but not heat..... I think the biggest problem would be over heating, it would be very rare for the others to have issues when you were out the machine.
All i know is i'm sort of paranoid about my machine over heating.... Probably because i know that if it did, i'm up for around $1500 for a new head!.
I think the engine light monitors oil press and engine coolant temp. The trans light monitors charge press and oil temp. I get this info out of my manual. I agree with you on the over heat of the engine. I noticed in the book that the diesel 743B doesnt have a thermostat and the gas 742 does. Whey dont they put it in the diesel? because it has no cab heater?

Tazza

Staff member
I think the engine light monitors oil press and engine coolant temp. The trans light monitors charge press and oil temp. I get this info out of my manual. I agree with you on the over heat of the engine. I noticed in the book that the diesel 743B doesnt have a thermostat and the gas 742 does. Whey dont they put it in the diesel? because it has no cab heater?
My 743 only has a light for the oil pressure, it doesn't have anything for coolant temp when its over temp, it just has a gauge. The engines do have a thermostat..... No idea why the manual would say it didn't.

OP
OP
T

ThomasM

My 743 only has a light for the oil pressure, it doesn't have anything for coolant temp when its over temp, it just has a gauge. The engines do have a thermostat..... No idea why the manual would say it didn't.
Maybe they are alittle different mine is a "B". Yah, my service manual shows switches for coolant temp, oil press, hyd. temp, charge psi, and filter for hyd. Mine has the water temp gauge as well. My manual does't show removal/installation for a thermostat, but it does for the 742B in the book. Mine runs cooler in the winter than in the summer. not too shure i guess.

bobo

Maybe they are alittle different mine is a "B". Yah, my service manual shows switches for coolant temp, oil press, hyd. temp, charge psi, and filter for hyd. Mine has the water temp gauge as well. My manual does't show removal/installation for a thermostat, but it does for the 742B in the book. Mine runs cooler in the winter than in the summer. not too shure i guess.
I was wondering that also.What I came up with was a motorcycle horn that I spliced into my temperature sending unit,as I only have a light.So now if it should ever get too hot it will trip the horn and then troubleshoot the problem.