Broken Tilt Cylinder Upper Mount on Lifting Arm - 843

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mattholew

I have an 843 that recently sheared the tilt cylinder pin at the top mounting location and when it did it ripped the top portion of the mount off the lifting arm from the bushing up. Has anyone else had this happen and if so how did you repair it? I have pictures of it but I'm not sure how to share those on here.

flyerdan

I, as I'm sure a lot of others would like to see those, and the story of what it took to incur this carnage.
You can put the pics in an online hosting site, or you can start an album here (photos, top of the page) and just drop the link text in a post. I, or one of the other mods, will come along and sort the code so they show up.

farmshop

We had this happen on our 743 and a 753. I was able to pound the piece back down and weld it the put a plate over it with a hole around the bushing

Tazza

Staff member
We had this happen on our 743 and a 753. I was able to pound the piece back down and weld it the put a plate over it with a hole around the bushing
I have had it happen too, i made new bosses and ground the area to give me access to lay a good weld. The hardest part is getting it back into place so the cylinder is straight. Give it a tack weld then make sure the cylinder moves without binding or breaking the tacks, if it looks good, weld all the way round.

spitzair

I have had it happen too, i made new bosses and ground the area to give me access to lay a good weld. The hardest part is getting it back into place so the cylinder is straight. Give it a tack weld then make sure the cylinder moves without binding or breaking the tacks, if it looks good, weld all the way round.
My dad did this to his 732 many moons ago as well by being VERY rough with the machine. Tore the hoses off the cylinder as well, bent it, etc... needed a new cylinder too if I recall correctly. He welded new pin bosses in and pounded the top plate back down and welded that back up too. Unfortunately he didn't get the location of the pin quite right and now the bucket won't roll back as far as it ought to and it will dump out too far causing the cylinder to go over center and then the bucket is stuck tilted too far forward. We've gotten used to it so we know now not to dump the bucket too far but someone not familiar with the machine will usually have it over centered the first time they dump the bucket. Not a huge deal, just drop the bucket on the ground and drive backwards and it usually comes back up but if you try to roll the bucket back while over center it will pull the bucket further back towards the cab until the bobtach comes in contact with the cylinder rod causing it to bend. So like Tazza says make sure you get the location of the cylinder right before welding it solid!