bolt on cutting edges

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

753g

go buy one, save your bucket from wear and tear, cut throught the snow and ice with ease, nuff said.

Tazza

Staff member
I am considering doing this to my 4 in 1, my last machine had a 4 in 1 with teeth which i love, they are especially great for attaching chains to for lifting. But i got another machine that has a smooth lip 4 in 1, which i found does an excellent finishing job when leveling.
I would like to make a bolt on tooth cutting edge for it.
From what i have heard with bolt on cutting edges, be carefull you don't get them too hard, as the harder they get the more brittle they get, you don't want to hit a rock and break the rotten thing in half.
Snow, whats that??? its 30-36 degrees C over here..... I need someone to post me some cooler weather...

OP
OP

753g

I am considering doing this to my 4 in 1, my last machine had a 4 in 1 with teeth which i love, they are especially great for attaching chains to for lifting. But i got another machine that has a smooth lip 4 in 1, which i found does an excellent finishing job when leveling.
I would like to make a bolt on tooth cutting edge for it.
From what i have heard with bolt on cutting edges, be carefull you don't get them too hard, as the harder they get the more brittle they get, you don't want to hit a rock and break the rotten thing in half.
Snow, whats that??? its 30-36 degrees C over here..... I need someone to post me some cooler weather...
I've got a bobcat 'bucket bite' also which is the tooth bar and that does kick some arse for playing in the dirt. I bought the smooth bolt on edge so i'd have a good sharp edge for scraping the driveway clean. It seams to be more than strong and hard enough it barely has any wear on it so far and i did catch a chunk that was missing from the edge of the drive and I accidently managed to rip out a 2 foot section of pavement with no damage to the bolt on edge. no complaints just a genuine bobcat part.

goodtech

okay guys this one is right up my alley. Cutting Edges are cheap compared to having to have some one take and air arc the weld on cutting that comes with the bucket and weld a new one one. time I'm usually done it is close to paying for a new bucket. I also recommend when you do put a cutting edge on hard face the cutting edge, along with the sides, and the bottoms of the buckets. This will save your buckets in the long run, especially excavator buckets. Maintaince is cheap guys.

Tazza

Staff member
okay guys this one is right up my alley. Cutting Edges are cheap compared to having to have some one take and air arc the weld on cutting that comes with the bucket and weld a new one one. time I'm usually done it is close to paying for a new bucket. I also recommend when you do put a cutting edge on hard face the cutting edge, along with the sides, and the bottoms of the buckets. This will save your buckets in the long run, especially excavator buckets. Maintaince is cheap guys.
Mine has some that runs only a few inches up the sides of the bucket, but i think i will get some new steel and run it the full length of the sides, as for the bottom, it has nothing.... just the sheet metal, would you happen to have any pictures of a bucket without the edge so i can see what i need to do modify it to suit a bolt on. Then i need to work out how to drill the rotten stuff..... i may just have to buy a carbide drill bit for this one.

As for maintenance, i tell people constantly this, spend a small amount now, save a lot down the track. For instance, i know a scarppie that has a bobcat for loading containers and squashing cars. The engine oil is JET BLACK, the rocker cover nuts are loose and you can see them spinning around. A new filter and oil every few months sure beets what, $6,000 for a new engine? I don't use my machines all that much, but i make sure i change my oil/filters every 6 moths or so, or after any major work.

OP
OP

753g

Mine has some that runs only a few inches up the sides of the bucket, but i think i will get some new steel and run it the full length of the sides, as for the bottom, it has nothing.... just the sheet metal, would you happen to have any pictures of a bucket without the edge so i can see what i need to do modify it to suit a bolt on. Then i need to work out how to drill the rotten stuff..... i may just have to buy a carbide drill bit for this one.

As for maintenance, i tell people constantly this, spend a small amount now, save a lot down the track. For instance, i know a scarppie that has a bobcat for loading containers and squashing cars. The engine oil is JET BLACK, the rocker cover nuts are loose and you can see them spinning around. A new filter and oil every few months sure beets what, $6,000 for a new engine? I don't use my machines all that much, but i make sure i change my oil/filters every 6 moths or so, or after any major work.
Sorry for the delay Tazza, I usually read this thing in the middle of the night. (not quite with it) I'll take some pics real soon and post them under the media section, as far as buying a carbide drill bit.. "He who dies with the most toys wins" Oh yes, And Happy New Year. -Dan

OP
OP

753g

Sorry for the delay Tazza, I usually read this thing in the middle of the night. (not quite with it) I'll take some pics real soon and post them under the media section, as far as buying a carbide drill bit.. "He who dies with the most toys wins" Oh yes, And Happy New Year. -Dan
Oh yes and as far as the color of engine oil, skiping changes is plain stupid. however if your oil doesn't appear to be getting 'dirty' or 'darker' within about 6-12 hours on that oil change, it's time to change oil brands. When it appears dark that means the oil is holding the contaminants in suspention which is a good thing becuase that the only way the filter will be able to pick them up and remove them(contaminants). That is how detergent oil works.

500K_773

Oh yes and as far as the color of engine oil, skiping changes is plain stupid. however if your oil doesn't appear to be getting 'dirty' or 'darker' within about 6-12 hours on that oil change, it's time to change oil brands. When it appears dark that means the oil is holding the contaminants in suspention which is a good thing becuase that the only way the filter will be able to pick them up and remove them(contaminants). That is how detergent oil works.
Anybody try a Rezloh Edge? I contacted my local Case dealer for availability and pricing, but they haven't got back with me yet. I just e-mailed Rezloh direct today and hope to here back from them also. I think it would do great for spring time hard pack snow removal and in the summer with my silty / loamy soils.

OP
OP

753g

Anybody try a Rezloh Edge? I contacted my local Case dealer for availability and pricing, but they haven't got back with me yet. I just e-mailed Rezloh direct today and hope to here back from them also. I think it would do great for spring time hard pack snow removal and in the summer with my silty / loamy soils.
it looks like it will chew right threw pavement and scar up concrete pretty bad. However for dirt it looks like a pretty bad a$$ toy. Another aspect to it though is that it only has one edge on it, where as my bobcat edge is reversible. Consider this aspect to the cost of it.

Eric

it looks like it will chew right threw pavement and scar up concrete pretty bad. However for dirt it looks like a pretty bad a$$ toy. Another aspect to it though is that it only has one edge on it, where as my bobcat edge is reversible. Consider this aspect to the cost of it.
Looks interesting. Definitely looks like a good idea if your running a skip loader, backhoe, or a wheel loader. As for running a skidsteer. I think having a smooth and tooth bucket is best because attachments are so easy to change unlike the other machines and the issue of two buckets taking up more space is not an issue for me. I always get a smooth bucket a couple of inches larger than the tooth bucket and store the tooth inside the smooth. At $700 a bucket, thats a reasonable investment.
http://www.rezloh.com/
blade.jpg

500K_773

Looks interesting. Definitely looks like a good idea if your running a skip loader, backhoe, or a wheel loader. As for running a skidsteer. I think having a smooth and tooth bucket is best because attachments are so easy to change unlike the other machines and the issue of two buckets taking up more space is not an issue for me. I always get a smooth bucket a couple of inches larger than the tooth bucket and store the tooth inside the smooth. At $700 a bucket, thats a reasonable investment.
http://www.rezloh.com/
I stopped by the Case dealer today and finally got a price on one for my 74" bucket. $875 (freight included) and 2 to 3 weeks delivery time. Wow, pretty spendy. Nearly 3x as expensive as a bolt on, reversible, smooth cutting edge. I don't know if it would perform well enough to justify the cost.

skidsteer.ca

I stopped by the Case dealer today and finally got a price on one for my 74" bucket. $875 (freight included) and 2 to 3 weeks delivery time. Wow, pretty spendy. Nearly 3x as expensive as a bolt on, reversible, smooth cutting edge. I don't know if it would perform well enough to justify the cost.
Wow, may as well buy a tooth bucket, easier to put it on then a edge. Ken