Bobcat, Polaris alliance

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Kelly

Does anyone have any inside information on this new alliance that was announced? All that I can find is the generic press release. Hopefully now we will have a real utility vehicle. Maybe I can get a discount on one of those new Victory motorcycles!

pondfishr

I found this on the web. Chicago Tribune. BISMARCK, N.D. - North Dakota-based Bobcat Co., known for its skid-steer loaders, is forming an alliance with snowmobile-maker Polaris Industries Inc., in a move both companies hope will add customers and boost profits as they battle an economic slump. Polaris CEO Scott Wine said his company will make work vehicles and sell them to Bobcat, for sale through Bobcat's dealer network. Later, the two companies will develop other vehicles and share technology, he said. Polaris spokeswoman Marlys Knutson said the initial wave of vehicles will be made at the company's plant in Spirit Lake, Iowa, beginning next year. They will be sold as Bobcats but will be "highly different than what we are selling at Polaris now," Knutson said. Polaris, based in Medina, Minn., makes all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles and motorcycles. Bobcat, based in West Fargo, N.D., makes compact construction equipment.

thetool

I found this on the web. Chicago Tribune. BISMARCK, N.D. - North Dakota-based Bobcat Co., known for its skid-steer loaders, is forming an alliance with snowmobile-maker Polaris Industries Inc., in a move both companies hope will add customers and boost profits as they battle an economic slump. Polaris CEO Scott Wine said his company will make work vehicles and sell them to Bobcat, for sale through Bobcat's dealer network. Later, the two companies will develop other vehicles and share technology, he said. Polaris spokeswoman Marlys Knutson said the initial wave of vehicles will be made at the company's plant in Spirit Lake, Iowa, beginning next year. They will be sold as Bobcats but will be "highly different than what we are selling at Polaris now," Knutson said. Polaris, based in Medina, Minn., makes all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles and motorcycles. Bobcat, based in West Fargo, N.D., makes compact construction equipment.
My guess would be that Bobcat wants to market its Utility Vehicle to the non-contractor public, so the average guy could have dealership-provided financing options?
Lotsa folks like the Bobcat 2200's and 2300's, but the way I understand it is Bobcat dealerships only have financing available to companies in the business, so a non-business type guy who wants a Bobcat Utility Vehicle for recreational use tends to look elsewhere.
It may be a smart move to get in to the recreational market.

thebobcatguy

Wasn't it Polaris that started ASV? And what ever happened to the Polaris ASL30? It will be interesting to see where this goes.