Bobcat models without computers

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dozzerworxx

I am in the market for an upgrade. I currently have a Mighty MAC 8B (Gehl 2500). I need something bigger and with a diesel. I don't want anything that flies by wire or has computers of any kind. Can someone tell me what models or what years they started using any kind of electronic controls or engine computers so I can search the years prior to the roll out of the computers?

Lowe.Buuck

IIRC F Series and earlier are mostly electronic free. They will still have the BICS (Bobcat Interlock Control System) which makes sure there is an operator in the seat and that the safety bar is down before the loaders hydraulic/hydrostatic systems will activate.
They are easy to identify since they have rectangular headlights and were made in the 90's and earlier.
There were loaders made during this period with the optional BOSS (Bobcat Operation Sensing System). This computer system monitors the engine and hydraulic systems and will shut the engine off if sensors detect temperature or pressures that are not in the normal range. BOSS systems have a LED display in the upper right corner of the cab with 4 LED bars, a digital hour meter and a dozen or so warning symbols that will light up indicating the type of problem.
BOSS controllers can be difficult to find since they stopped making them. There is a kit that can be installed to bypass the BOSS system if it fails.
Starting around 2000, the G series loaders have triangular headlights and was the first series where all loaders have an integrated system that replaced the BOSS system in all loaders.

OP
OP
D

dozzerworxx

IIRC F Series and earlier are mostly electronic free. They will still have the BICS (Bobcat Interlock Control System) which makes sure there is an operator in the seat and that the safety bar is down before the loaders hydraulic/hydrostatic systems will activate.
They are easy to identify since they have rectangular headlights and were made in the 90's and earlier.
There were loaders made during this period with the optional BOSS (Bobcat Operation Sensing System). This computer system monitors the engine and hydraulic systems and will shut the engine off if sensors detect temperature or pressures that are not in the normal range. BOSS systems have a LED display in the upper right corner of the cab with 4 LED bars, a digital hour meter and a dozen or so warning symbols that will light up indicating the type of problem.
BOSS controllers can be difficult to find since they stopped making them. There is a kit that can be installed to bypass the BOSS system if it fails.
Starting around 2000, the G series loaders have triangular headlights and was the first series where all loaders have an integrated system that replaced the BOSS system in all loaders.
Ok so I'll stay mid 90s and look for led and warning lights in the cluster and I'll be good. Thanks for the quick reply!

Tazza

Staff member
Ok so I'll stay mid 90s and look for led and warning lights in the cluster and I'll be good. Thanks for the quick reply!
For no electronics at all, you'll be looking for a 743, or 743B, they are a great machinem they built the 743 for 10 years it was that good. Kubota diesel engine, parts are still available.
The later models have computer based parts, they start off with a little bit, then go up from there.
Personally, i'd try and avoid any BOSS based machine, when they worked, they did a good job, but parts can be expensive.

farmshop

For no electronics at all, you'll be looking for a 743, or 743B, they are a great machinem they built the 743 for 10 years it was that good. Kubota diesel engine, parts are still available.
The later models have computer based parts, they start off with a little bit, then go up from there.
Personally, i'd try and avoid any BOSS based machine, when they worked, they did a good job, but parts can be expensive.
Any of the f series machines are a good fit but then again a g series machine is also nice the computers in them are pretty simple and rarely give problems

OP
OP
D

dozzerworxx

Any of the f series machines are a good fit but then again a g series machine is also nice the computers in them are pretty simple and rarely give problems
I am looking for something with manual controls to keep costs down on repairs. I really don't care if it is an older machine, just looking for something around 50 HP or above, diesel, and manual controls for everything. BICS would be OK. I watch Andrew Camarata on YouTube and he had a Bobcat that lost servo control for the lift and the box that controlled it was like $1500. I don't have that kind of money to drop on a machine to get it back going again. I tried googling models that have mechanical controls and nothing seems to come up that is why I was asking.

reaperman

I am looking for something with manual controls to keep costs down on repairs. I really don't care if it is an older machine, just looking for something around 50 HP or above, diesel, and manual controls for everything. BICS would be OK. I watch Andrew Camarata on YouTube and he had a Bobcat that lost servo control for the lift and the box that controlled it was like $1500. I don't have that kind of money to drop on a machine to get it back going again. I tried googling models that have mechanical controls and nothing seems to come up that is why I was asking.
I think your referencing "manual controls" with hand/foot controls and not electric joystick. In the model years your looking at you wont even find electric joystick controls. You also want around 50hp. Then I would start looking at a 763 (46hp) and up. Even a 753 has good power, the same engine as 763 and 773. If you start in that era, you will eliminate a direct drive u-joint coupling between the engine and hydraulic pump that is hard to access and grease. It is probably the most forgotten maintenance area on that style machine since its not visible and hard to access. If a previous owner ignores greasing the u-joint, it can and will fail and can cause $$$ in damages. The engine has to be pulled out to repair/replace with a new u-joint. And hopefully in the process of flying apart, it doesnt damage the hydraulic pump or shaft in the process. Just keep in mind your looking for a machine in the 25 year old or older category. The 753,763 and 773 are good machines with a track record of being very reliable.

Tazza

Staff member
I think your referencing "manual controls" with hand/foot controls and not electric joystick. In the model years your looking at you wont even find electric joystick controls. You also want around 50hp. Then I would start looking at a 763 (46hp) and up. Even a 753 has good power, the same engine as 763 and 773. If you start in that era, you will eliminate a direct drive u-joint coupling between the engine and hydraulic pump that is hard to access and grease. It is probably the most forgotten maintenance area on that style machine since its not visible and hard to access. If a previous owner ignores greasing the u-joint, it can and will fail and can cause $$$ in damages. The engine has to be pulled out to repair/replace with a new u-joint. And hopefully in the process of flying apart, it doesnt damage the hydraulic pump or shaft in the process. Just keep in mind your looking for a machine in the 25 year old or older category. The 753,763 and 773 are good machines with a track record of being very reliable.
I agree with reaperman, a 753/763 is a good machine, as long as not the G series if you wanted to keep the computer controls to a minimu. They do have BICS, but it is not complicated. I believe these models did have a version that had hand pilot style controls that you did not want, you want standard mechanical linkages. feet: lift/tilt, hands: forward/backwards. The aux control is via a thumb switch, that is the only real electronic function control it has other than safety interlocks and park brake.
Good luck on your search

farmshop

I agree with reaperman, a 753/763 is a good machine, as long as not the G series if you wanted to keep the computer controls to a minimu. They do have BICS, but it is not complicated. I believe these models did have a version that had hand pilot style controls that you did not want, you want standard mechanical linkages. feet: lift/tilt, hands: forward/backwards. The aux control is via a thumb switch, that is the only real electronic function control it has other than safety interlocks and park brake.
Good luck on your search
We have had 3 different g series machines between 753 and 763 probably put 30000 combined hours and replaced 1 controller. Not bad for machines that spend their lives covered in manure dirt and mud that live outside. Even the s-175 style machines are relatively simple. I wouldn't be afraid to buy any of the mentioned machines. How many guys buy used diesel trucks only to drop many thousands on injectors.

Unicam

We have had 3 different g series machines between 753 and 763 probably put 30000 combined hours and replaced 1 controller. Not bad for machines that spend their lives covered in manure dirt and mud that live outside. Even the s-175 style machines are relatively simple. I wouldn't be afraid to buy any of the mentioned machines. How many guys buy used diesel trucks only to drop many thousands on injectors.
I just borrowed a 753 i'm thinking of buying. i did a lot of research and found the 753 was the biggest bobcat brand machine (basically) that can be hauled on a car trailer by a half ton truck. I think that could help resale, idk. 743's have a cult like following around here and i'm thinking the 753's might too. the 763 is juuust a bit too heavy legally but has a longer wheelbase which guys seem to like.

Tazza

Staff member
I just borrowed a 753 i'm thinking of buying. i did a lot of research and found the 753 was the biggest bobcat brand machine (basically) that can be hauled on a car trailer by a half ton truck. I think that could help resale, idk. 743's have a cult like following around here and i'm thinking the 753's might too. the 763 is juuust a bit too heavy legally but has a longer wheelbase which guys seem to like.
I think the only reason the 743 is so well known, is cause they made them for 10 years and sold so many of them.
The 753 is a good machine, more power, more flow, easier to work on some parts, but it does have intergrated electronics that the 743 did not have.
The 763/753 should be pretty close on the weight front though. The wheel base is slightly longer on the 763, but not sure if it's enough for most people to notice a difference.

farmshop

I think the only reason the 743 is so well known, is cause they made them for 10 years and sold so many of them.
The 753 is a good machine, more power, more flow, easier to work on some parts, but it does have intergrated electronics that the 743 did not have.
The 763/753 should be pretty close on the weight front though. The wheel base is slightly longer on the 763, but not sure if it's enough for most people to notice a difference.
Biggest difference between 753 and 763 is width. 763 has longer axles. Weight difference is only a few hundred pounds. 753 is a 1300# lift 763 is 1500 if I remember. While the newer electronics can give you grief it can also save your bacon too. Depending on machine age auto shut down is helpful as is auto glow plugs if you are in colder climates. If you work in dirty conditions the top down air flow for the radiator is easier to clean on the 753/763. The flip up screen means radiator is more likely to get looked at vs the bolt on on the 743. Both machines are solid reliable options. We put 20000 hours on a 743 and replaced it with a 753 that has 12000 and is still going