bobcat exchange failing

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dwmaster

Anyone know how to get the bucket to be tight again and prevent it from falling off. Can I build something up with welding? Should I just convert to the new system with a pin. Mine is a 2002 341 with the bar for changing buckets.

Tazza

Staff member
I don't know what style your machine uses, but there is no reason why you can't build up the worn parts with weld or replace the pins.
I want to take a lot of the slack out of my excavator attachment and i was thinking of changing the bucket mounting to a universal style that is easy to change.

OP
OP
D

dwmaster

I don't know what style your machine uses, but there is no reason why you can't build up the worn parts with weld or replace the pins.
I want to take a lot of the slack out of my excavator attachment and i was thinking of changing the bucket mounting to a universal style that is easy to change.
Its the quick exchange that they don't use anymore for just the reason that I'am haveing a problem. To change the bucket there is a bar that you use to move a lever then the rest can be done from the seat. The machine is to powerful and wears it out. I like the system though. The new system uses a pin that has to be driven in. The machine is new to me and I don't know the original measurments on the worn surfaces.

Fishfiles

Its the quick exchange that they don't use anymore for just the reason that I'am haveing a problem. To change the bucket there is a bar that you use to move a lever then the rest can be done from the seat. The machine is to powerful and wears it out. I like the system though. The new system uses a pin that has to be driven in. The machine is new to me and I don't know the original measurments on the worn surfaces.
i agree that the first generation on bobcat bucket exchange was a failure , i usually see the pin that holds the locking wedge is bent , kinda hard to see it assemblied , but any way a way to fix your problem is to either buy from bobcat and modified or fabricate your own old style pinned bucket ears , cut the exchange system off your bucket and weld on the pin set up or buy some old style buckets as they will fit right on after removing the exchange

Land-Tech

i agree that the first generation on bobcat bucket exchange was a failure , i usually see the pin that holds the locking wedge is bent , kinda hard to see it assemblied , but any way a way to fix your problem is to either buy from bobcat and modified or fabricate your own old style pinned bucket ears , cut the exchange system off your bucket and weld on the pin set up or buy some old style buckets as they will fit right on after removing the exchange
I would take the time to modify to the pin system, you're not messing with two greasy pins and it's a lot faster. You do have to have a hammer and a rod to drive the pin all the way out. I use a 1" x 30" round stock and keep everything in the cab. the head of the pin mushroomed to where I cut it off and welded a head back on. Now that needs to be replaced. I try to reduce tension on the pin when I drive it out. It seems to be holding up real well so far other than the pin.. Scott
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg301/LANDTEKK/P5240060.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg301/LANDTEKK/P5240059Medium.jpg

OP
OP
D

dwmaster

I would take the time to modify to the pin system, you're not messing with two greasy pins and it's a lot faster. You do have to have a hammer and a rod to drive the pin all the way out. I use a 1" x 30" round stock and keep everything in the cab. the head of the pin mushroomed to where I cut it off and welded a head back on. Now that needs to be replaced. I try to reduce tension on the pin when I drive it out. It seems to be holding up real well so far other than the pin.. Scott
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg301/LANDTEKK/P5240060.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg301/LANDTEKK/P5240059Medium.jpg
Thanks for the info. During my research i came across a story were the xchange system let go of the bucket and a man was killed. That system is going in the dump!!!!!! I ordered a new sigle pin from bobcat and will convert the three buckets that don't have the right set up.

Sven

Thanks for the info. During my research i came across a story were the xchange system let go of the bucket and a man was killed. That system is going in the dump!!!!!! I ordered a new sigle pin from bobcat and will convert the three buckets that don't have the right set up.
In europe the have Klac coupers insted of the Xchange. It makes changing buckets a joy (takes 30 seconds to change buckets and 15 of that is you getting out of the cab pulling a key and getting back in) and they're real safe- it impossible to drop the bucket. I think the death that Dwmaster was talking about was in England on some messed up english system...Don't think it was an x-change