bobcat 943 4grove drive belt keeps throwing...help

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

goldhunter_2

Well I been reading your forum for a little while now but this is my first post mite as well start off with a complicated problem :) I have a older bobcat 943 rubber tire machine , my main four grove drive belt between engine and pump split in to two two grove belts and popped off so naturally I called bobcat and ordered a new one. I am used to being able to see what I am working on not trying to reach in and do it by feel :( so getting it on the first time was frustrating. Just feeling the ideal tension pulley it turns freely no wobble so assume bearings are good there is a little (1/4") side to side play on the spring pivot point arm but goes away when tighten tension spring. when I originally loosed the tension spring 3/4 nut there was about 6" of the 1/4" rod sticking out throw the center but I can't tighten more then about two inches sticking out I believe this is my issue just not sure how to get it to tighten up .....Is there some trick I just haven't figured out? Just for reference my belt is routed with tension pulley pushing up on bottom of the belt Is there some type of trick or tool needed to tighten up the tension spring more or some other reason the new belt keeps throwing off, any helpful advice wold be great

Tazza

Staff member
I have never worked on a 9 series machine, the tensioning setup should be similar to newer machines though.
The rod you are talking about, does this pull upwards and pull the tensioner up to make it tight?

OP
OP
G

goldhunter_2

I have never worked on a 9 series machine, the tensioning setup should be similar to newer machines though.
The rod you are talking about, does this pull upwards and pull the tensioner up to make it tight?
yes when loose the pulley drops lower but as you tighten the spring the pulley pushes upwards against the bottom of the belt

Tazza

Staff member
yes when loose the pulley drops lower but as you tighten the spring the pulley pushes upwards against the bottom of the belt
Bobcat did use a tensioner with a spring inside, so as you tighten it, the spring compresses and holds tension on the belt. Could the spring be broken inside the idler?