Bobcat 743 extremely jerky controls

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Brookview1

Hello, my first post. Ive got a 1985 743 in the shop and this thing bucks and carrys on like no other. Typically I would go to the dampers first off. However, this one doesnt have them. It has one centering spring for the controls. The centering spring was loose, however once adjusted and tightened it didnt make a difference. When travelling forward there isnt much resistance on the levers. They like to go all the way forward. The other thing I notice is a noisy pump, like when the fluid is low and the pump cavitates. Fluid is full and clean, new filter, but extremely jerky. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Tazza

Staff member
What are you using for hydraulic fluid? It probably calls for motor oil.
You may need a new spring if there is verry little resistance on the steering levers. I assume you adjusted neutral?
You did check all the linkages for play? i have owned quite a few 743 machines, none never really bucked around
A squeeling noise when moving is pretty common, if it has good power i wouldn't be too worried. You could go to the trouble of flattening the wear plates inside the pump, but it is a big job.

Rcasen

You may need a new spring if there is verry little resistance on the steering levers. I assume you adjusted neutral?
You did check all the linkages for play? i have owned quite a few 743 machines, none never really bucked around
A squeeling noise when moving is pretty common, if it has good power i wouldn't be too worried. You could go to the trouble of flattening the wear plates inside the pump, but it is a big job.
On my 743 after many adjustments and repairs it was the o rings in both drive motors

Latest posts