Bobcat 743 cold smoking ...BAD!!!!!!!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I just got a bobcat 743 I'm told it's a early 90's.it has the kubota diesel in it ( I think they all do) when it first starts it bellows smoke from the exhaust ... It smells like it is raw-ish fuel and burns your eyes if you get in it.after it runs about 5 min it clears up and runs great. The clock says it has just over 1300 hrs but i dont know if i believe it.does anyone know what might be going on. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
What color is the smoke?
If it burns your eyes, it sounds like unburnt fuel.
I'd start with it being an injector issue. If you loosen the fittins on the top of the injectors one at a time, see what one makes the smoke stop, tha tis the one with an issue.
If it is not spraying properly it will not burn and it will smoke and eventually burn a hole in the piston.
It could also be a crack in the head causing lower compression so the fuel is not burning untill the engine warms up enough. How is the coolant level? any bubbles?

OldMachinist

If it burns your eyes, it sounds like unburnt fuel.
I'd start with it being an injector issue. If you loosen the fittins on the top of the injectors one at a time, see what one makes the smoke stop, tha tis the one with an issue.
If it is not spraying properly it will not burn and it will smoke and eventually burn a hole in the piston.
It could also be a crack in the head causing lower compression so the fuel is not burning untill the engine warms up enough. How is the coolant level? any bubbles?
Like Tazza says its likely one or more bad injectors dripping fuel into the cylinder when the engine is off. Pull them out and take to a diesel shop to have tested before you burn a piston.

OP
OP
L
Like Tazza says its likely one or more bad injectors dripping fuel into the cylinder when the engine is off. Pull them out and take to a diesel shop to have tested before you burn a piston.
Coolant seems to be fine. I'm thinking you guys might be right with it being an injector issue. How long before it burns a piston? I put some sea foam in it with some Lucas injector cleaner,I was hoping to run a tank of fuel through it before I go pulling out the injectors.

Tazza

Staff member
Coolant seems to be fine. I'm thinking you guys might be right with it being an injector issue. How long before it burns a piston? I put some sea foam in it with some Lucas injector cleaner,I was hoping to run a tank of fuel through it before I go pulling out the injectors.
I think it will take some time to do it.
Injectors are pretty easy to remove, if you take them out and look at the top, look for a really sooty or wet one, that will be the problem one.
You can try the additive, but honestly, if it is already plugged, i don't believe it will clean it up much. Avoid running it like that too long.

OP
OP
L
I think it will take some time to do it.
Injectors are pretty easy to remove, if you take them out and look at the top, look for a really sooty or wet one, that will be the problem one.
You can try the additive, but honestly, if it is already plugged, i don't believe it will clean it up much. Avoid running it like that too long.
Ok thanks guys I'll see what I can do