Bobcat 743 Brake Problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

pondfishr

is there any reason that the system brake would not work other than being out of adjustment. The pedal on mine and the mechanism under the cab just flop back and forth without seeming to grab anything. My adjustment bolt has concrete on it and I am unable to adjust it but so far. Just wondering if I should buy a new bolt or is it possible that there is something bad wrong internal on the machine.

Tazza

Staff member
The brake system is very simple, it uses a cam that pushes on brass pucks that lock 2 brake disc's in the chain case. If the bolt is too loose it won't put enough pressure on the brass pucks. You will simply need to tighten the nut on the long bolt you were talking about. Its best to bash the concrete off as its a pig to install a new bolt. It fowles on just about everything when trying to get it out and worse when putting it back in. It takes a LOT of wear to make you need to replace any of the braking system.
I have had machines that the nut was really tight, i used vice grips on the bolt and a rattle gun on the nut. You may need to do the same.
You don't need the pedal to be really stiff, you want it firm but not really tight. It doesn't take that much pressure to lock the brake disc's, it really is a very good braking system (when adjusted correctly)

Fishfiles

the adjustment bolt on the brake of a 743 can get frozen up pretty good ,have had a few that never did break lose even with heat , cut it out and replace it if neccessary , if you do get it loosened up and can't get enough adjustment to make the pedal roll over and lock in I have had luck putting a spacer under the adjustment nut to get a little more out of it , a nut the next bigger size where it slide over the bolt works well , if adjustment doesn't get you need a puck job

OP
OP
P

pondfishr

the adjustment bolt on the brake of a 743 can get frozen up pretty good ,have had a few that never did break lose even with heat , cut it out and replace it if neccessary , if you do get it loosened up and can't get enough adjustment to make the pedal roll over and lock in I have had luck putting a spacer under the adjustment nut to get a little more out of it , a nut the next bigger size where it slide over the bolt works well , if adjustment doesn't get you need a puck job
Thanks guys I will check it out and let you know..