Bobcat 742 - Backfiring, stalling, loss of power, points - Resolution electronic ignition

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JohnDoe44

Hi all, I just wanted to share my experience on issues I was having with my Bobcat 742 Model 5018-M-20059 and I hope this can be useful for other people in the future to resolve there problem quickly on this type of bobcat that has points in there system instead of digging through threads for a resolution. When my bobcat was warmed up and working I started having problems about 30-45 mins into a job. My bobcat would either start to slowly lose power, backfire, stall or idle really rough. When I came here to the forums there were several suggestions on older threads to replace the coil, rotor, cap, plugs and wires. After replacing all of those parts the bobcat ran better then before, but then after some time the same problems came back. There were suggestions on here to adjust the points in the distributor, but with my lack of experience on adjusting points and the common knowledge that points will need to be readjusted every so often I wanted to search for a long term solution. Then I came across using electronic ignition by PerTronix to replace the points in my bobcat 742. Ever since I tossed the points and ran with electronic ignition my bobcat has been running smooth, starts quickly, and has more power throughout the rpm range. I provided the details below the parts I used. I hope this helps other people! The Problem - Rough idle, back firing, loss of power and stalling The Diagnosis - Old coil and points need adjusting/replacement Replacement Part - PERTRONIX IGNITOR 1843 BOSCH DISTRIBUTOR 4 CYL Models 231186023,231146077,231170307 *** Model of distributor is located under the cap and is stamped on. You may need clean the area to see it.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for posting the details, i'm sure others will find it helpful.

esters dad

Hello i have a 722 i just bought , no fire from dist i installed a new electronic ignition still no fire i have power to coil from switch but no ground from dist to coil ?anyone have a idea

Hotrod1830

Your ignition switch provides the power to the coil, the ignition module supplies the ground, and interupts it to create the spark. Check the power/wiring on the electronic ignition again.