Bobcat 632

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OsceolaCabin

I just picked up a 1980 632 and have a few questions. I found a leaking hose from just behind the hydro filter to the front, tore it out of the machine tonight. Plan on having a new hose made in the morning. When I removed the hose fitting from the front it drained close to a gallon and half of fluid. First, is there a main drain to remove the remainder of the hydro fluid? Second, type of fluid to replace (10W40)? I do have a new filter I plan on installing. Next, do I have to bleed the hydro system? If so, how? I do plan on ordering the service manual or stopping by the Bobcat dealer in the morning. I did have a 2001 653 that was a great, downsized for around the house/property use. Also before I forget, it seems to strain and will not spin on a dime. Seems to be a left side drive issue. Could this be due to the leaking hose (medium leak) or being out of adjustment? Thanks for the assistance, great website. -Jim

Tazza

Staff member
The system is self purging, so just install the hose and run it, it will get all the air out in time.
There is no way to drain ALL the oil from the system. 10W40 is correct, any engine oil will do the trick 10W30 10W40 20W50 etc. You can try removing the hose that goes to the oil tank to drain as much as you can. Thats about the only way i'm afraid.
The drive issue, this could be a worn pump or motor, if the hose had only a slight leak it will not be the cause. Adjustment is possible, if its only small but on a machine of that age i'd suspect wear. Does it squeel when you try and turn? if so, it could be a suction line filter. These are generally hidden and most ppl have no idea its even there. If you can take a piccie of the hydro pump i can tell you if you have one or not.

sterlclan

The system is self purging, so just install the hose and run it, it will get all the air out in time.
There is no way to drain ALL the oil from the system. 10W40 is correct, any engine oil will do the trick 10W30 10W40 20W50 etc. You can try removing the hose that goes to the oil tank to drain as much as you can. Thats about the only way i'm afraid.
The drive issue, this could be a worn pump or motor, if the hose had only a slight leak it will not be the cause. Adjustment is possible, if its only small but on a machine of that age i'd suspect wear. Does it squeel when you try and turn? if so, it could be a suction line filter. These are generally hidden and most ppl have no idea its even there. If you can take a piccie of the hydro pump i can tell you if you have one or not.
your 632 is the same as my 630 on top of the hydraulic pump there is a block with 4 hoses on it down the left side looking from the top the middle hose contains a filter remove the hose and then the fitting the filter is in there you can try that they are cleanable but only cost about 15 bucks. a service manual is worth every penny. good luck .............Jeff

OP
OP
O

OsceolaCabin

your 632 is the same as my 630 on top of the hydraulic pump there is a block with 4 hoses on it down the left side looking from the top the middle hose contains a filter remove the hose and then the fitting the filter is in there you can try that they are cleanable but only cost about 15 bucks. a service manual is worth every penny. good luck .............Jeff
Is this the port block you are describing? I took off the seat and the hose leaking was on this block (directly under the seat). Or is the hydro pump another location? I definitely want to clean that filter, read many past post concerning. Ordered the service manual from the Bobcat dealer today, should have it early next week. Thanks for the input...

Tazza

Staff member
Is this the port block you are describing? I took off the seat and the hose leaking was on this block (directly under the seat). Or is the hydro pump another location? I definitely want to clean that filter, read many past post concerning. Ordered the service manual from the Bobcat dealer today, should have it early next week. Thanks for the input...
Yes, the port block is what you are looking for, most people have no idea what i'm talking about when i say that :)
As sterlcan said, on the left in the middle of the block. Remove the hose and remove the fitting from the port block. There will be a spring that holds the filter in place. I used diesel and compressed air to clean mine but they are cheap to buy.
That should fix your drive issues, it sure did for me!

OP
OP
O

OsceolaCabin

Yes, the port block is what you are looking for, most people have no idea what i'm talking about when i say that :)
As sterlcan said, on the left in the middle of the block. Remove the hose and remove the fitting from the port block. There will be a spring that holds the filter in place. I used diesel and compressed air to clean mine but they are cheap to buy.
That should fix your drive issues, it sure did for me!
Had some time to run the machine, chase leaks and turn the wrench. A couple things (1) the spark plugs are white'ish on the tips...always thought white was head gasket (I do add 5-6 oz of coolant to the radiator each time (1-2 hours)). However doing some internet research, it seems that a white'ish color is what you should be looking for. (2) Front right behind the tire is leaking, what is that called...what to do and difficulty (I just got my manual and haven't been able to get to that section. (3) It has the I4-98 Ford, what temperature should it be running @ (currently around 190) & oil pressure (currently around 40 @ full throttle/20'ish @ idle). Overall, the 632 did a pretty good job yesterday spreding 18 yards or so. Takes a little getting used to the power difference from the 753G, but it will do fine for around the house and at our camp.

Tazza

Staff member
Had some time to run the machine, chase leaks and turn the wrench. A couple things (1) the spark plugs are white'ish on the tips...always thought white was head gasket (I do add 5-6 oz of coolant to the radiator each time (1-2 hours)). However doing some internet research, it seems that a white'ish color is what you should be looking for. (2) Front right behind the tire is leaking, what is that called...what to do and difficulty (I just got my manual and haven't been able to get to that section. (3) It has the I4-98 Ford, what temperature should it be running @ (currently around 190) & oil pressure (currently around 40 @ full throttle/20'ish @ idle). Overall, the 632 did a pretty good job yesterday spreding 18 yards or so. Takes a little getting used to the power difference from the 753G, but it will do fine for around the house and at our camp.
If you are using coolant it sounds like you have a head or head gasket problem, it could even be a small leak in the radiator that you can't see. White plugs sound normal to me, it just means its burning nice and clean. The leak behind the front wheel sounds like an axle seal. They aren't easy to do but can be done, just be thankful that its not a rear one! those are the hardest of all to do.

Latest posts