Bobcat 610 hyd leaks and drive belt

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

buckshot

Greetings folks, I am a first time poster and a bit excited about finding this site. I don't know what year my machine is but it has Sr# 200721. I am rebuilding the VH4D Wisconsin on my 610 as well as trying to adjust the clutches and repair some of the leaks. There seems to be hyd oil leaking from under the axle caps/hubs located on the inner sides of the frame. Is this something that can be tightened or are there gaskets located there have to be replaced ??? What should I expect to find in order to repair this kind of leak?? Can any of you tell me if there are any after market places to obtain the heavy drive belt used on the 610. The part # on the belt is (Melrose) 6515271 , the next number on the OEM belt is 46-1155. I have always experienced poor/short life span from these Bobcat belts. Both pulleys appear to be properly aligned and not slipping. I am told they have reached the $100.00 range. Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to offer. Have fun, Buckshot

Tazza

Staff member
I don't know about the oil leak sorry, but i believe the drive belt is dealer only. This came up only a week or 2 ago and i think it was stated that is a dealer only part as it was a specific size/section that was not *normal*.

OP
OP
B

buckshot

I don't know about the oil leak sorry, but i believe the drive belt is dealer only. This came up only a week or 2 ago and i think it was stated that is a dealer only part as it was a specific size/section that was not *normal*.
I don't think anyone stated it was a dealer only. Out of all the people that viewed the question there were only two people that responded. I had hoped for a greater response. One was a dealer that did state that he thought the belt was a good deal. That statement, coming from a dealer, did not surprise me. The fact that the belt sells for almost $100.00 and will not last very long makes it the weak link in the operation of a 610. I am very interested in finding out if there are others with the same problem and if they may have found other suppliers of this size belt. I thought by posting the question again under repairs there might be more responses. I sure don't think Bobcat makes the belts?

skidsteer.ca

I don't think anyone stated it was a dealer only. Out of all the people that viewed the question there were only two people that responded. I had hoped for a greater response. One was a dealer that did state that he thought the belt was a good deal. That statement, coming from a dealer, did not surprise me. The fact that the belt sells for almost $100.00 and will not last very long makes it the weak link in the operation of a 610. I am very interested in finding out if there are others with the same problem and if they may have found other suppliers of this size belt. I thought by posting the question again under repairs there might be more responses. I sure don't think Bobcat makes the belts?
These belts are alot like snowmobile drive belts. Perhaps there is one of them with similar measurement, I don't know. But you can pay 40 to over 100 bucks for one for a sled.
Also on snowmobiles the belt width and length is critical to the drive shifting properly. Does the 600 shift the clutch ratio by itself based on engine rpm or is there a lever that lets you manually select the ratio to get the speed you want?
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
These belts are alot like snowmobile drive belts. Perhaps there is one of them with similar measurement, I don't know. But you can pay 40 to over 100 bucks for one for a sled.
Also on snowmobiles the belt width and length is critical to the drive shifting properly. Does the 600 shift the clutch ratio by itself based on engine rpm or is there a lever that lets you manually select the ratio to get the speed you want?
Ken
As for Mark's comment on the part being reasonable (yes, he is a Bobcat parts sales manager) he is happy to tell us when he believes something is a crazy price. I know some people will think yeah he is just out to sell parts, but have you ever seen him post details trying to get business off any of us on the forum? I don't want to sound mean with any of what I'm saying, he has been REALLY helpful not only to myself but others too.
The Main drive belt for current machines fetch about $60 if my memory is rite. This belt covers a wide range of current machines so they would be selling thousands or tens of thousands of these a year so the price can be kept down. I'd bet there would only be a few hundred at most of the M610 series belts sold a year and I'd bet they would have to be special production run to get them made. With everything, the more you buy the cheaper they are per unit.
Again, I'm not trying to offend anyone with the above comments.

jerry

As for Mark's comment on the part being reasonable (yes, he is a Bobcat parts sales manager) he is happy to tell us when he believes something is a crazy price. I know some people will think yeah he is just out to sell parts, but have you ever seen him post details trying to get business off any of us on the forum? I don't want to sound mean with any of what I'm saying, he has been REALLY helpful not only to myself but others too.
The Main drive belt for current machines fetch about $60 if my memory is rite. This belt covers a wide range of current machines so they would be selling thousands or tens of thousands of these a year so the price can be kept down. I'd bet there would only be a few hundred at most of the M610 series belts sold a year and I'd bet they would have to be special production run to get them made. With everything, the more you buy the cheaper they are per unit.
Again, I'm not trying to offend anyone with the above comments.
I had a 610 3 years, used it a lot and never had a problem with the belt even though it was oily and running in dirt when I got it. I don't believe I have ever seen any complaints about them being short-lived.

Kiwi M610

I had a 610 3 years, used it a lot and never had a problem with the belt even though it was oily and running in dirt when I got it. I don't believe I have ever seen any complaints about them being short-lived.
Had mine 2 years, used it heaps and never touched the belt.

skidsteer.ca

Had mine 2 years, used it heaps and never touched the belt.
As with sleads likely if the belt life is short, this is a missalignment problem. Or the bushing in the sheeves are bad and the 2 side are not running parallel. How many hours are we talking here?
Ken

OP
OP
B

buckshot

As with sleads likely if the belt life is short, this is a missalignment problem. Or the bushing in the sheeves are bad and the 2 side are not running parallel. How many hours are we talking here?
Ken
I want to thank everyone for their input. I will have to check the alignment of the clutches. Both sides of the clutches appear to be parallel. This machine has the hyd control to adjust the machine speed which I recently had rebuilt because the hyd pressure would leak down slowing down the speed. I can appreciate the fact that the dealer/sales person has offered help to all who request it , my self included. I just have not had good luck with these belts. If they don't wear too quickly they chuck out. Meaning the belt will have a chuck or two of the belt structure come apart leaving the belt to shortly thereafter shread....If I can't get the hours out of the belt it does not make them a good deal at $100.00. Like the machine I guess I am just getting to old. For some time now I seem to see so many companys charging what ever the market will bare and the consumer is held hostage. Thanks again for all the help. I hope to learn more. Have Fun, buckshot

jerry

I want to thank everyone for their input. I will have to check the alignment of the clutches. Both sides of the clutches appear to be parallel. This machine has the hyd control to adjust the machine speed which I recently had rebuilt because the hyd pressure would leak down slowing down the speed. I can appreciate the fact that the dealer/sales person has offered help to all who request it , my self included. I just have not had good luck with these belts. If they don't wear too quickly they chuck out. Meaning the belt will have a chuck or two of the belt structure come apart leaving the belt to shortly thereafter shread....If I can't get the hours out of the belt it does not make them a good deal at $100.00. Like the machine I guess I am just getting to old. For some time now I seem to see so many companys charging what ever the market will bare and the consumer is held hostage. Thanks again for all the help. I hope to learn more. Have Fun, buckshot
Your driven sheaves are not rusty at all are they? If they had rust in a spot that may tend to grab the belt as you change speeds you are putting a lot of pressure on the belt if it hangs up on a spot it could possibly get to tight and tear it.

OP
OP
B

buckshot

Your driven sheaves are not rusty at all are they? If they had rust in a spot that may tend to grab the belt as you change speeds you are putting a lot of pressure on the belt if it hangs up on a spot it could possibly get to tight and tear it.
No there is no rust -- all clean. there has been some oil with the engin leaks. I have just removed the engine and gone through it from top to bottom - "all " new.

jerry

No there is no rust -- all clean. there has been some oil with the engin leaks. I have just removed the engine and gone through it from top to bottom - "all " new.
The only other thing I can think of is that for some other reason the driven sheave is not opening up smoothly as you increase the dia of the driving one and the belt gets to tight. Its a real job to take the driven one apart. Try prying it apart with a bar a few times to see if you can spot a problem.