BOBCAT 553 won't start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Rodney

I recently purchased a 553 F series with 1700 hours. The only problem I noticed is it would emit white smoke occassionally. I used it for about an hour yesterday, I turned it off for about an hour, started it for about 3-4 minutes, turned it off and now it won't start. It turns over but that's it. I tried spraying a small amount of ether in the aircleaner but that hasn't done anything. Just prior to using it I did change the oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter. Any ideas?

StuZ

Does it turn over fast enough ?? Did it at least fire on the ether ?? How long has it run after you changed the fuel filter ?? Is there any smoke when you are trying to start it ??

OP
OP
R

Rodney

Does it turn over fast enough ?? Did it at least fire on the ether ?? How long has it run after you changed the fuel filter ?? Is there any smoke when you are trying to start it ??
It turns over fast enough. It barely started to fire once with the ether.(I used more than enough) I ran it for about an hour, when it wouldn't start I thought I may have run the fuel down to low so I purged it. Still thought there may be air in it so I used the ether. The one time it started to fire I had a puff of smoke.

sterlclan

It turns over fast enough. It barely started to fire once with the ether.(I used more than enough) I ran it for about an hour, when it wouldn't start I thought I may have run the fuel down to low so I purged it. Still thought there may be air in it so I used the ether. The one time it started to fire I had a puff of smoke.
hows the anti freeze look? white smoke sometimes is anti freeze burning. the not firing with ether could be compression related (low) does it spin really fast or just so so?

OP
OP
R

Rodney

hows the anti freeze look? white smoke sometimes is anti freeze burning. the not firing with ether could be compression related (low) does it spin really fast or just so so?
The anti freeze level doesn't seem to have changed since I purchased it. The engine seems to turn over the same as it did in the past. I wasa thinking compression myself. A friend had stated the smoke could be the head gasket. Could that be the compression problem?

reno611

The anti freeze level doesn't seem to have changed since I purchased it. The engine seems to turn over the same as it did in the past. I wasa thinking compression myself. A friend had stated the smoke could be the head gasket. Could that be the compression problem?
Something as simple as making sure the engine stop control is pushed back in. Check this, because I cannot count the times I have left it pulled out and forget about it and then cranked and cranked..... Now I make sure I push it in before I exit the machine. Just an idea...

sterlclan

Something as simple as making sure the engine stop control is pushed back in. Check this, because I cannot count the times I have left it pulled out and forget about it and then cranked and cranked..... Now I make sure I push it in before I exit the machine. Just an idea...
yup thif the head gasket is bad that could be the compression problem is there any water in the oil or oil in the water? sounds like lack of compression to me ether usally works as long as you have compression thats why I was wondering about cranking speed fast=low compression usally

OP
OP
R

Rodney

yup thif the head gasket is bad that could be the compression problem is there any water in the oil or oil in the water? sounds like lack of compression to me ether usally works as long as you have compression thats why I was wondering about cranking speed fast=low compression usally
I am not familiar with the engine stop control. Would that be something your machine has and mine doesn't? I thought at least with the ether It would at least start to fire, but agian it barely did that and a small puff of smoke came out.

OP
OP
R

Rodney

I am not familiar with the engine stop control. Would that be something your machine has and mine doesn't? I thought at least with the ether It would at least start to fire, but agian it barely did that and a small puff of smoke came out.
I pulled the injectors off and there isn't any fuel pumping in the cyclinders when I turn it over? A neighbor told me he's had diesel's that won't fire with ether sometimes. Any one else ever experience this?

sterlclan

I pulled the injectors off and there isn't any fuel pumping in the cyclinders when I turn it over? A neighbor told me he's had diesel's that won't fire with ether sometimes. Any one else ever experience this?
no fuel sounds like the filter has air in it or the fuel shutoff is closed,is there a valve on the tank?check the linkage from the throttle and make shure it opens the injector pump when you open the throttle. and follow the fuel line and see if there is a shut off in the line my gas job has an electric valve that stops the fuel when the key is off if it dosent open =no run good luck

reno611

no fuel sounds like the filter has air in it or the fuel shutoff is closed,is there a valve on the tank?check the linkage from the throttle and make shure it opens the injector pump when you open the throttle. and follow the fuel line and see if there is a shut off in the line my gas job has an electric valve that stops the fuel when the key is off if it dosent open =no run good luck
Your machine may not have an engine stop control..Mine does and it kills the engine when pulled out. I believe it actually chokes the engine down by cutting off the air. It looks like choke pull. Mine is located on the right side of the seat. I have the Kabota diesel engine that is how the engine is shut off, then the key is switched off.. Anyway just a thought. Hope that you find the problem soon and can get back to work.

OP
OP
R

Rodney

Your machine may not have an engine stop control..Mine does and it kills the engine when pulled out. I believe it actually chokes the engine down by cutting off the air. It looks like choke pull. Mine is located on the right side of the seat. I have the Kabota diesel engine that is how the engine is shut off, then the key is switched off.. Anyway just a thought. Hope that you find the problem soon and can get back to work.
After cracking the injectors, I don't have any fuel coming out of them. I have three wires going to the pump. When I turn the key one click, I have power to the red wire going to the pump. I have spoken to the dealer and he seems to think it's the pump. Has anyone ever pulled one of these onto a trailer. There are instructions in the manual but they are not very descriptive.

Jack

After cracking the injectors, I don't have any fuel coming out of them. I have three wires going to the pump. When I turn the key one click, I have power to the red wire going to the pump. I have spoken to the dealer and he seems to think it's the pump. Has anyone ever pulled one of these onto a trailer. There are instructions in the manual but they are not very descriptive.
I would do some more diagnostics, before you let the dealer near it. Those wires obviously control a fuel solenoid of some description. My comments are generic as I have a 753. Pull the solenoid off the pump and confirm that it indeed works. I would not think its the pump UNLESS the drive is broken etc. Did the machine make any suspicious noises before the problem occurred?

StuZ

I would do some more diagnostics, before you let the dealer near it. Those wires obviously control a fuel solenoid of some description. My comments are generic as I have a 753. Pull the solenoid off the pump and confirm that it indeed works. I would not think its the pump UNLESS the drive is broken etc. Did the machine make any suspicious noises before the problem occurred?
Why not swap 1 of the relays next to the fuse panel. There should be 4 of them, and they are all the same. 1 should be for the fuel shut down solenoid. It doesn't have a cable shut down, all electric. Tell me more about the smoke ?? Does it smoke when you are trying to start it, or when it is running ?? What color is the smoke ?? Do the glow plugs work ?? Not many hours on it for internal problems .......

OP
OP
R

Rodney

Why not swap 1 of the relays next to the fuse panel. There should be 4 of them, and they are all the same. 1 should be for the fuel shut down solenoid. It doesn't have a cable shut down, all electric. Tell me more about the smoke ?? Does it smoke when you are trying to start it, or when it is running ?? What color is the smoke ?? Do the glow plugs work ?? Not many hours on it for internal problems .......
I called the dealer and the service manager stopped by to look at it and pick it up. He pulled the solenoid(electronic fuel shut off) off the pump and it started without a problem. He said I'd be able to just replace it and it would be fine(no charge). He states I'm getting some smoke from a bad injector and since he was there with the flatbed and wasn't going to charge me to take it in, I told him to rebuild the injector and go over the machine just to check on everything else as I'm not to familiar with them. I asked him about the ether and he stated he doesn't like to use it and the machines don't always respond well to it. He stated if there was an issue with compression when it was started I would get a little smoke coming out of the oil dipstick hole when it is removed, which I wasn't. Thanks for the responses and assistance.

Jack

I called the dealer and the service manager stopped by to look at it and pick it up. He pulled the solenoid(electronic fuel shut off) off the pump and it started without a problem. He said I'd be able to just replace it and it would be fine(no charge). He states I'm getting some smoke from a bad injector and since he was there with the flatbed and wasn't going to charge me to take it in, I told him to rebuild the injector and go over the machine just to check on everything else as I'm not to familiar with them. I asked him about the ether and he stated he doesn't like to use it and the machines don't always respond well to it. He stated if there was an issue with compression when it was started I would get a little smoke coming out of the oil dipstick hole when it is removed, which I wasn't. Thanks for the responses and assistance.
At least its fixed! But, best you do ALL of the injectors, not just one of them. At least the dealer was a help to you for no charge! I would patronise him in the future for parts etc, seems he is an honest one.

OP
OP
R

Rodney

At least its fixed! But, best you do ALL of the injectors, not just one of them. At least the dealer was a help to you for no charge! I would patronise him in the future for parts etc, seems he is an honest one.
He did suggest doing all the injectors and I told him to dgo ahead and do it. He did seem honest so that's why I sent the machine with him to take care of. For future reference what type of a job is it to rebuild the injectors?

sterlclan

He did suggest doing all the injectors and I told him to dgo ahead and do it. He did seem honest so that's why I sent the machine with him to take care of. For future reference what type of a job is it to rebuild the injectors?
I dont think the injectors themselves are rebulidable automotive ones arent do ypurself a favor and buy a repair manual I found mine on ebay for 30 dollars it has saved me plenty of money and headaches glad it is going to work out