Bobcat 331 Specs

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

frank123

Anybody know what kind of dig depth a 1996? 331 would have? Looking at a used one and I'm guessing on the year by the serial # comparing to ones out on the net. Also, it has steel tracks instead of rubber. Any opinions on this?

Frank

nobull1

Can't give you an answer on the depth but can give you an opinion on the steel tracks. The steel tracks will work in all conditions and last a lot longer than the rubber. The rubber tracks are prone to cuts tears as well as torn cleats. If you plan on using the machine in the woods, shale, around metal, mud or similar materials, steel is the best way to go. The only real advantages to rubber is less noise and marking on asphalt and concrete, other than that steel is far superior IMO. If you go and look up my nic and rubber tracks on tractor by net you will see a lot more of my opinions as well as others with the pros and cons,
Brian

Land-Tech

I have a 96 and it digs a little over 10', although it depends on on what size stick is on the machine. Its been a great rig but nobull's right about the tracks.I bought it in 99 and I've replaced the tracks twice. Once when I had a winter job and couldn't keep the frozen stuff off the machine and i think I stretched the tracks themselves,the second time I cut them on some shot rock out of a quarry.Rubber tracks shouldn't scare you away from a machine but there are situations where you should be very careful. Steel tracks might last longer and be be more expensive to rebuild but they seem to turn better on grass and certainly add weight to to lower end. The hydralics have held up great with little seal leakage and the kubota engine has run like a champ and always starts.My machine has been used and abused,(I learned on this machine what you can and cannot do) over 5000 hr and still capable. I have a new 435 and the technolgy is really nice but I will probably trade before too many hr because I see a high cost to rebuild or repair. Other than the tracks, I've replaced a track roller,and one hydralic line that frayed and broke.The swing pinion is wore and seems sloppy but with the hrs and abuse I feel thats pretty good.

RonRock

I have a 96 and it digs a little over 10', although it depends on on what size stick is on the machine. Its been a great rig but nobull's right about the tracks.I bought it in 99 and I've replaced the tracks twice. Once when I had a winter job and couldn't keep the frozen stuff off the machine and i think I stretched the tracks themselves,the second time I cut them on some shot rock out of a quarry.Rubber tracks shouldn't scare you away from a machine but there are situations where you should be very careful. Steel tracks might last longer and be be more expensive to rebuild but they seem to turn better on grass and certainly add weight to to lower end. The hydralics have held up great with little seal leakage and the kubota engine has run like a champ and always starts.My machine has been used and abused,(I learned on this machine what you can and cannot do) over 5000 hr and still capable. I have a new 435 and the technolgy is really nice but I will probably trade before too many hr because I see a high cost to rebuild or repair. Other than the tracks, I've replaced a track roller,and one hydralic line that frayed and broke.The swing pinion is wore and seems sloppy but with the hrs and abuse I feel thats pretty good.
"The swing pinion is wore and seems sloppy but with the hrs and abuse I feel thats pretty good." I just bought a 331 and the Swing seems loose to me. Anybody know how to "Tighten it up"? 1st post, Cool Forum. Thanks MrJimi. Hope I don't wear out my welcome. Cheers, Ron

SnowCat

"The swing pinion is wore and seems sloppy but with the hrs and abuse I feel thats pretty good." I just bought a 331 and the Swing seems loose to me. Anybody know how to "Tighten it up"? 1st post, Cool Forum. Thanks MrJimi. Hope I don't wear out my welcome. Cheers, Ron
I have a 320 from new 2000 hours on it rubber tracks they r still original they r fine i dont understand how guys beat the crap out of them, anyways the 320 will dig down almost 8 feet i have been alot deeper you do what you have to do dig it out in levels or whatever.

Land-Tech

I have a 320 from new 2000 hours on it rubber tracks they r still original they r fine i dont understand how guys beat the crap out of them, anyways the 320 will dig down almost 8 feet i have been alot deeper you do what you have to do dig it out in levels or whatever.
Hey guys,
I should update my previous post and clarify that any wear or sloppiness that wasn't there from the factory is due not to operator abuse or lack of maintenence,but the abusive conditions that I worked the machine.Getting this machine at the time was a big deal for me so the first scratch that I put on it was a bummer. And regular maintenence is one of the best ways to extend the working life of a machine. so I did it.
Digging frozen ground or hardpan is hard on any machine, the shot rock I build retaining walls with is soft and when broken is very sharp,by the time the wall is done there are small pieces all over that can cut rubber tracks. The machine had 1200 hr on it when I bought in 98.I put another 1300 hrs or three years before I replaced the tracks. I had to replace one side 1000 hrs later when I backed into a sharp rock and cut the edge into the cord.I replaced it and saved it as a backup. It now has 5000 hrs and considering the history and lack of serious repairsI can only recommend 331.
Like the tires on my skidsteer or truck,tracks only last so long especially if you work them in difficult conditions.I feel that if the rubber tracks, along with your cutting edges may have to replaced more often which is an reasonable trade off considering the rate of return on my investment.Say I only charged for 3000 hrs out of those 5000 on the meter at 65-75 dollars,you can do the math and put it into perspective. Thanks

Latest posts