Bobcat 313 hi speed electrical Clutch

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BrunoBelgium

Hello everybody, brain new in your forum as my name says it I am from far away ... and I need your help. I just bought a very old Bobcat 313 and I m starting the overhaul of it. now I am facing a problem with the high speed clutch ( the one closer from the engine) apparently he doesn't work how can i test it and could someone explain me the principle of working ( when does he receives power, what will be the action, is it possible to rewired myself, is there friction plates ? ) or is it easy to find in replacement part and where ? So many questions ;-) best regards Bruno

Tazza

Staff member
Welcome to the site
The clutches should be almost like an automotive AC pump setup. Power is applied, the magnet makes the clutch engage and spin the pulley. I have never worked on a 313, but have read a few posts about people working on clutch driven hi and low speed modes. Hopefully some of them will see this and comment for you.

Hotrod1830

Welcome to the site
The clutches should be almost like an automotive AC pump setup. Power is applied, the magnet makes the clutch engage and spin the pulley. I have never worked on a 313, but have read a few posts about people working on clutch driven hi and low speed modes. Hopefully some of them will see this and comment for you.
Tazza is correct. they are a electro magnetic clutch and operate the same as a automotive ac clutch, or riding lawn mower deck clutch.
Originally, they had a switch on the drive lever that actuated a 5 pin relay that either engaged the high speed clutch, or the low speed clutch as default. BAsicly, if you have the key on with engine off, you should have voltage at the low speed clutch( outermost pulley from engine) If you press and hold the button on the lever, you should have voltage to the inner pulley for high speed. If you ohm the windings, they should be close the the same low/high. If one works, the other should measure the same. If it is open, you can buy another from bobcat, or you can buy coated copper magnet wire off ebay and rewind it yourself. I rewound my high speed clutch. pretty easy. You cant rewind the low speed, as it is welded/sealed.