best way to find leaks?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

phaeg

What is the best way to find leaks? Is there a dye that can be added to the hyd fluid etc...?

skidsteer.ca

I believe there is a dye but have never used it or know anyone that has.
I always look for the clean spots where the dirts has been washed away. Or wipe it clean and see how where the drips begin to accumilate. Some leak with engine off, most when engine on, some only when you cycle certain functions.
Use card board to test areas that could be spraying, a fine mist can be difficult to see and can cut skin and get into your blood causing serious trouble.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
I believe there is a dye but have never used it or know anyone that has.
I always look for the clean spots where the dirts has been washed away. Or wipe it clean and see how where the drips begin to accumilate. Some leak with engine off, most when engine on, some only when you cycle certain functions.
Use card board to test areas that could be spraying, a fine mist can be difficult to see and can cut skin and get into your blood causing serious trouble.
Ken
They can be hard to find, i have one on a machine i just painted and its driving me nuts!. I know where it is, but i can't get in to fix it. When i think i got it the rotten thing leaks again!
Giving the machine a good clean is a good start, always remember oil doesn't travel up hill so find a wet patch and see if you can find the top, this is a good place to start. I know it sounds obvious but some people don't always think about it that way. With that said, they can still be deceptive, you think you found it, give it a good clean and it appears somewhere else.
Find where you feel it is, wipe and clean, run the machine and check again. Dirt and dust LOVE oil, like flies when you start the barbie.

Fishfiles

They can be hard to find, i have one on a machine i just painted and its driving me nuts!. I know where it is, but i can't get in to fix it. When i think i got it the rotten thing leaks again!
Giving the machine a good clean is a good start, always remember oil doesn't travel up hill so find a wet patch and see if you can find the top, this is a good place to start. I know it sounds obvious but some people don't always think about it that way. With that said, they can still be deceptive, you think you found it, give it a good clean and it appears somewhere else.
Find where you feel it is, wipe and clean, run the machine and check again. Dirt and dust LOVE oil, like flies when you start the barbie.
Pressure washing then blow dry with air is my procedure on a hard to find leak , if the pressure washer is not an opition at a certain location then air and sometimes brake and part cleaner which will clean and dry up and area fast , I have the dye test kit with the light that works on a/c, oil and coolant but it never really gets to that point , can usually find it before it gets that extreme , the dye does work well on air conditioning leaks ------ sometimes you need to operate a curcuit to find the leak , I will start the machine , put down seat bars and hit the operate button and aux hydraulics , lift the cage and opreate the fuctions to aid in locating a hard to find leak , I had a hard to find leak today on a T250 on a hose under the pump which was spraying onto the travel motor hoses , I rerouted that hose so it doesn't rub on the frame under the pump any more ------------what machine are you working on and where do you see oil , maybe I could give you some things to look for

OP
OP
P

phaeg

Pressure washing then blow dry with air is my procedure on a hard to find leak , if the pressure washer is not an opition at a certain location then air and sometimes brake and part cleaner which will clean and dry up and area fast , I have the dye test kit with the light that works on a/c, oil and coolant but it never really gets to that point , can usually find it before it gets that extreme , the dye does work well on air conditioning leaks ------ sometimes you need to operate a curcuit to find the leak , I will start the machine , put down seat bars and hit the operate button and aux hydraulics , lift the cage and opreate the fuctions to aid in locating a hard to find leak , I had a hard to find leak today on a T250 on a hose under the pump which was spraying onto the travel motor hoses , I rerouted that hose so it doesn't rub on the frame under the pump any more ------------what machine are you working on and where do you see oil , maybe I could give you some things to look for
643 , have fixed many leaks but I suspect the rear pump seal is leaking, the oil cooler is very wet. I replaced the hose that leads to it but that was not it.

sandhills-elect

I think someone on here said to use flour that the leaks would show up instantly. Might give it a try not much to loose. good luck

Fishfiles

I think someone on here said to use flour that the leaks would show up instantly. Might give it a try not much to loose. good luck
Could be the input seal of the pump , but I would almost bet it's one of the steel tubes that cross under the engine from one side the machine to the other , they get rust holes in them and spray up , get in the flywheel fan and go all over the place , if that is what it is locating it can be rough , changing the tube usually requires pulling the motor , if you figure what tube it is , I have put a hydraulic hose in place of the tube and rerouted it so the motor woudn't have to be pulled