Battery pad heater??"s

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mrbb

OK I was wondering if anyone here uses or used a battery pad heater , to help heat a battery in cold temps?
like a pad you stick under the battery, that claims it will warm the battery to get the battery up to full cranking power, or well, just more power than a cold battery would,,

I am looking at one of the kat's battery pad heaters for a machine I have that tends to be a hard starter in colder temps( group 31 battery size)

I have never used one before, and cannot seem to find much info on anyone that has, for how they like it or, it really worked out?,
so, anyone have any experience here with them?

foton

I have not used the pad style ,but have used the blanket type with good results, the problem is from what I delt with is I could only find one for a group 27 battery and like you have a group 31 so there is a area that is not wrapped. But it still seems to do a good job, I do use it with a freeze plug type block coolant warmer, and between the two my backhoe starts much easier after 1 hour or so of plug in. I use a timer so if I know when I am gonna use it just set the timer and it turns itself on and I am ready to go.

OP
OP
M

mrbb

I have not used the pad style ,but have used the blanket type with good results, the problem is from what I delt with is I could only find one for a group 27 battery and like you have a group 31 so there is a area that is not wrapped. But it still seems to do a good job, I do use it with a freeze plug type block coolant warmer, and between the two my backhoe starts much easier after 1 hour or so of plug in. I use a timer so if I know when I am gonna use it just set the timer and it turns itself on and I am ready to go.
thanks for the reply, last yr I bought one of the battery blanket wraps, the largest I could find, that wouldn;t allow a over wrap,a s they cannot be over wrapped, it was a Kat's model, 36 inches long, it left about 6-7 inches of battery exposed, I then wrapped things with some reflective heat insulation to try and help it keep heat all around battery,
it seemed like it worked OK< but the power cord self destructed , it turned to a gooey sticky mess and the wires started to poke out of it at the plug,
I Tried contacting Kat's about it as it was just over a yr old before I found it(found tit recently doing PM's on machine for winter) but the only one from them that got back to me was there middle na(doesn;'t make things) and he based on my info decided I got a faulty cord, but he couldn;t help me other wise
the KAT"S brand was bought by a new company using there name, and has not returned any reach outs to them I have made, (email, phone call messages) Just bad luck I gather!

SO< rather than buy another wrap, that didn.;t fully go around my battery, I was thinking of trying the battery pad instead!
was hoping someone had some hands on experience here with them, or there likes, I know most reviews I have found are on passanger cars, and I never needed one ona car before, they all started good in cold as long s battery was good, but a older diesel motor, is a different animal IMO< so, the reviews didn;t seem to be very helpful to me? per application!

I plan to place the pad under battery and also wrap battery with foil heat insulation, this way it should keep the battery warmer and also prevent battery from excessive heat in summer time

SO< guess time will tell
will update after winter

OP
OP
M

mrbb

well I'll just add a small update, as had my first plow able snow fall, and has been below freezing for past 48+ hours!
was 28 degree's I plugged in both my battery pad heater and oil pan magnetic heater for 2.5 hours, went to start machine, a, air temp was about 30 still below freezing! and WOW< what a noticeable difference in how much easier it started,a s to its normal cold starting!

I have the battery wrapped in insulation and the pad under things, which I think is making a big difference as its keeping the heat in the battery!

I will see if it works like this when things get much colder, as winter is just starting, but I thought I would add, what in put I have , in case others have thought about using one?

I wish it was easier to get to battery to use a laser temp gauge on it to see how warm it actually gets after just a few hours, , as is, I cannot do so, panels in way and cannot remove them in my building when parked!, maybe later into winter I will try that, and see! maybe remove panels and park over night one day and take some readings before and after a few hours!

so far I am happy with its improvements and costs!