Battery for 1995 873 deutz

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

slewpumper

Need to replace the battery in my bobcat. Just wondering, never owned a deisel before. Should I get a high cranking amp battery. Any input would be great.

Tazza

Staff member
Diesel engines require a lot of power to start. You need a high CCA rating on your battery.
I was also told to get a bonded element battery, the lead plates handle vibrations better than the standard plates do so they should last longer than a standard battery. They aren't that much more than a standard battery. If you are just using it around home you could get away with a standard style one.

WebbCo

Diesel engines require a lot of power to start. You need a high CCA rating on your battery.
I was also told to get a bonded element battery, the lead plates handle vibrations better than the standard plates do so they should last longer than a standard battery. They aren't that much more than a standard battery. If you are just using it around home you could get away with a standard style one.
You need a Group size 31A battery, HD with at least 900 CCA. These are very common, and available at most battery retailers.
Mark

OP
OP
S

slewpumper

You need a Group size 31A battery, HD with at least 900 CCA. These are very common, and available at most battery retailers.
Mark
I did have the battery checked and the battery was OK. It was a bobcat battery but was a group size 24 so I chose to get the one it call for which has 1000 Cranking amps. Now I suspect the alternater isn't working even though the gage shows it is charging. ( battery slowing lost charge is the orig. problem. was fine when I bought it but everytime I started it it slowly got weaker). Went to napa to have it checked but couldn't do it because of the brand. ( has melroe sticker and pn# on it). They could get me a new though for $250. Way out of line if you ask me. Going to have someone else check it out tomorrow.

Tazza

Staff member
I did have the battery checked and the battery was OK. It was a bobcat battery but was a group size 24 so I chose to get the one it call for which has 1000 Cranking amps. Now I suspect the alternater isn't working even though the gage shows it is charging. ( battery slowing lost charge is the orig. problem. was fine when I bought it but everytime I started it it slowly got weaker). Went to napa to have it checked but couldn't do it because of the brand. ( has melroe sticker and pn# on it). They could get me a new though for $250. Way out of line if you ask me. Going to have someone else check it out tomorrow.
Thats awfully expensive, i paid about $120 AUD for my bonded element one. I think it was around the 1000-1100 CCA area.
If you have access to a multi-meter i'd check the battery voltage when the machine is not running and again when it is running. Running it should be around 14.4V and off should be arounf the 12 mark. It will obviously dip when you crank and use the glow plugs.
Have you done any welding to the machine at all? if you did and forgot to disconnect a battery cable you most likley blew your voltage regulator. I did this myself....... A new regulator isn't very expensive at least.
It doesn't discharge over night does it? only when you are using the machine?

OP
OP
S

slewpumper

Thats awfully expensive, i paid about $120 AUD for my bonded element one. I think it was around the 1000-1100 CCA area.
If you have access to a multi-meter i'd check the battery voltage when the machine is not running and again when it is running. Running it should be around 14.4V and off should be arounf the 12 mark. It will obviously dip when you crank and use the glow plugs.
Have you done any welding to the machine at all? if you did and forgot to disconnect a battery cable you most likley blew your voltage regulator. I did this myself....... A new regulator isn't very expensive at least.
It doesn't discharge over night does it? only when you are using the machine?
Tazza thanks for your reply. That battery that I bought was $70 it is the alternater they want $250 for. It took a matter of 2 weeks for the battery to drain down. Amp gage always showed it was charging so I assume it to be the battery. I will see what they find out when they check the alternater tomorrow.

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza thanks for your reply. That battery that I bought was $70 it is the alternater they want $250 for. It took a matter of 2 weeks for the battery to drain down. Amp gage always showed it was charging so I assume it to be the battery. I will see what they find out when they check the alternater tomorrow.
AHHH thats sounds better.
Sorry, i need to pay a little more attention.
I'd still assume if it was bad it would be brushes or the voltage regulator. Its a lot of money to throw at something that may be cheap to fix.

sar4937

AHHH thats sounds better.
Sorry, i need to pay a little more attention.
I'd still assume if it was bad it would be brushes or the voltage regulator. Its a lot of money to throw at something that may be cheap to fix.
If the amp gauge always shows that it is charging it is possible that you have a drain running down the battery. You can take a test light, remove the negative cable from the battery, and bridge the cable to the battery with the light. If the filament glows it indicates current flow, then it is just a matter of unhooking wires or pulling fuses to find the drain. This will include the alternator wires- all of them. It might be possible to find and electrical rebuild shop that could install brushes or regulator if needed. If the alternator appears to be the drain one of the rectifying diodes have shorted to ground normally

OP
OP
S

slewpumper

If the amp gauge always shows that it is charging it is possible that you have a drain running down the battery. You can take a test light, remove the negative cable from the battery, and bridge the cable to the battery with the light. If the filament glows it indicates current flow, then it is just a matter of unhooking wires or pulling fuses to find the drain. This will include the alternator wires- all of them. It might be possible to find and electrical rebuild shop that could install brushes or regulator if needed. If the alternator appears to be the drain one of the rectifying diodes have shorted to ground normally
Guys will you refer to my new post "873 still won't start". Thanks