Aux Hydraulics

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ddmacy

I attached a 709 backhoe to my s185. I pressed the aux hydraulics button but the backhoe won't work. It will move very very slowly thats it. It doesn't seem to matter if in is in variable or max position. If i click the right trigger on the stick it seems to turn on and off each time i Hit the trigger. It sounds like I am getting flow because the engine changes pitch when I hit the button. This has the keyless start if that makes any diffrence. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Dave

skidsteer.ca

Dave
The only thing that comes to mind is once I robbed the quick couplers off my tilt attach to use on my hoe. What i did not realize is that the tilt attach had a restrictor orrifice ( about 1/10 inch dia,) in the 90 degree fitting so the tilt would not move to quick. Therefore neither would the hoe. It was not visable until I removed the coupler from the 90 degree fitting.
The hoe had good power but was running 10% speed, motor was labouring as it was spilling 90% of its flow over the 3000 psi relief valve. Had I run it any time the hyd oil may have become vary hot.
Hopefully your trouble is this simple
Ken

OP
OP
D

ddmacy

Dave
The only thing that comes to mind is once I robbed the quick couplers off my tilt attach to use on my hoe. What i did not realize is that the tilt attach had a restrictor orrifice ( about 1/10 inch dia,) in the 90 degree fitting so the tilt would not move to quick. Therefore neither would the hoe. It was not visable until I removed the coupler from the 90 degree fitting.
The hoe had good power but was running 10% speed, motor was labouring as it was spilling 90% of its flow over the 3000 psi relief valve. Had I run it any time the hyd oil may have become vary hot.
Hopefully your trouble is this simple
Ken
This hoe was on other machine and it worked fine. It seems that it is only my S185 that the problem occurs. Is there anything in the tool setup on the keyless start panel that could effect it? I am stumped

TriHonu

You might also try swapping the hydraulic couplers from one hose to the other. When I bought my Bradco Hoe, the previous owner had been running it on a CASE 1845. I demoed it on his machine and it worked well.
When I got home I attached it to my 763 and the hoe would barely move. I did notice a high pitched noise. Since it was just working before I got it home it had to be a difference between his Case and my 763. The only thing I could think of the direction of flow. So I took off the couplers and swapped them on to the opposite hose.
BINGO! hoe was running like a champ
emotion-2.gif
. It appears the valve is designed to flow in one direction so the priority valving works properly.
If you have someone to help, just have them get in the cab and switch your aux hydraulics to momentary. Have them try engaging the flow each way while you are trying to run the hoe.
Something else to try, no cost and little time.

OP
OP
D

ddmacy

You might also try swapping the hydraulic couplers from one hose to the other. When I bought my Bradco Hoe, the previous owner had been running it on a CASE 1845. I demoed it on his machine and it worked well.
When I got home I attached it to my 763 and the hoe would barely move. I did notice a high pitched noise. Since it was just working before I got it home it had to be a difference between his Case and my 763. The only thing I could think of the direction of flow. So I took off the couplers and swapped them on to the opposite hose.
BINGO! hoe was running like a champ . It appears the valve is designed to flow in one direction so the priority valving works properly.
If you have someone to help, just have them get in the cab and switch your aux hydraulics to momentary. Have them try engaging the flow each way while you are trying to run the hoe.
Something else to try, no cost and little time.
Thanks, I will give it a try. I think the hoe came off a 753 so it would seem that it should be ok but I will give it a try

skidsteer.ca

Thanks, I will give it a try. I think the hoe came off a 753 so it would seem that it should be ok but I will give it a try
Do you have another continuous flow attachment you can test your loader with (brush cutter, etc) or make a loop with a hose and a coupler on each end and plug it into your machine. see if it labours just as hard. I also have a 3500 psi guage T eed into a male and female coupler so I can hook it between the loader and the attachment to see what psi relief valves are at etc.
It does sound like something is causing a bottle neck in the loop from the pump to the reservoir for the aux hyd. You need to find if its in the hoe or your loaders aux circuit.
Is this the first aux attachment you have used or not?
Ken

OP
OP
D

ddmacy

Do you have another continuous flow attachment you can test your loader with (brush cutter, etc) or make a loop with a hose and a coupler on each end and plug it into your machine. see if it labours just as hard. I also have a 3500 psi guage T eed into a male and female coupler so I can hook it between the loader and the attachment to see what psi relief valves are at etc.
It does sound like something is causing a bottle neck in the loop from the pump to the reservoir for the aux hyd. You need to find if its in the hoe or your loaders aux circuit.
Is this the first aux attachment you have used or not?
Ken
I thought the same thing. I don't think it is bumping against the relief valve because the engine does not lug at all. I just hear a little difference in the sound when the Aux Hydraulic button is pushed. But I do think there is some kind of restriction. I will try to make a loop with a gauge. To see if it is building pressure. With the loop connected there should be no or minimal pressure in the loop. If there is a lot of pressure there must be some kind of restriction. This is the first time I have used the Aux Hydraulics and I don't have a different attachment to test it with. I am pretty sure it is in the machine because the hoe worked ok with the machine it was on before.

skidsteer.ca

I thought the same thing. I don't think it is bumping against the relief valve because the engine does not lug at all. I just hear a little difference in the sound when the Aux Hydraulic button is pushed. But I do think there is some kind of restriction. I will try to make a loop with a gauge. To see if it is building pressure. With the loop connected there should be no or minimal pressure in the loop. If there is a lot of pressure there must be some kind of restriction. This is the first time I have used the Aux Hydraulics and I don't have a different attachment to test it with. I am pretty sure it is in the machine because the hoe worked ok with the machine it was on before.
I'd say my 773 laboured quite hard , with the pump up to relief pressure 27 hp was being drawn from the engine, and it sould like it was using 1/2 or more of its power.
I'd say normal pressure just to return the oil through the hoe back to the tank should be 50 psi or so.
I one time I had the flow reversed to the hoe it just acted all goofy. The hoe levers did not make each function moved in the correct direction and speed and power was way off.
I'm not sure if the couplers can malfunction to restrict flow (I have only seen them leak) but that may be a thought.
Oh one more thought.
My 709 had a safety valve inside the left stabilizer that butted up against the loaders QA when installing the hoe, it blocked the oil flow in the event the hoe was not correctly latched to the loader.
When I got the hoe 2nd hand the previous owner had been placing cardboard inside there to give the button a little extra push because it was not opening fully.
Yours may need adjusting if it has this safety feature. I adjusted mine onto a shelf after the first time a renter unhooked my hoe in a position where it leaked and tilted backwards. I went to his place to pick up my equipment at night. I knew he was gone for the weekend.
I connected the aux hoses to right the hoe as I did with my 909 and it would not move and I had no help to hold the button in. What a pita it was to get everthing loaded that night. If you have that vavle I'd bet you money the problem is there.
Ken

OP
OP
D

ddmacy

I'd say my 773 laboured quite hard , with the pump up to relief pressure 27 hp was being drawn from the engine, and it sould like it was using 1/2 or more of its power.
I'd say normal pressure just to return the oil through the hoe back to the tank should be 50 psi or so.
I one time I had the flow reversed to the hoe it just acted all goofy. The hoe levers did not make each function moved in the correct direction and speed and power was way off.
I'm not sure if the couplers can malfunction to restrict flow (I have only seen them leak) but that may be a thought.
Oh one more thought.
My 709 had a safety valve inside the left stabilizer that butted up against the loaders QA when installing the hoe, it blocked the oil flow in the event the hoe was not correctly latched to the loader.
When I got the hoe 2nd hand the previous owner had been placing cardboard inside there to give the button a little extra push because it was not opening fully.
Yours may need adjusting if it has this safety feature. I adjusted mine onto a shelf after the first time a renter unhooked my hoe in a position where it leaked and tilted backwards. I went to his place to pick up my equipment at night. I knew he was gone for the weekend.
I connected the aux hoses to right the hoe as I did with my 909 and it would not move and I had no help to hold the button in. What a pita it was to get everthing loaded that night. If you have that vavle I'd bet you money the problem is there.
Ken
Tell me more about this valve. I will bet that is the problem. It acts just like you said. Where exactly is it located in the stabilizer and how can you bypass it. I will try it just as soon as I get home. I would put money on it.

skidsteer.ca

Tell me more about this valve. I will bet that is the problem. It acts just like you said. Where exactly is it located in the stabilizer and how can you bypass it. I will try it just as soon as I get home. I would put money on it.
Its in plain view, your one quick coupler hose goes straight to it. There are 2 7" or so round holes in the hoes QA, its on the left side, on the rh side of the left stabilizer. Hose goes in one side out the other. You need a # 10 j.i.c. male male joiner and 2 #10 caps to seal the valve off.
You may be able to adjust it towards the loader. Mine the bracket was bent that held it, hence the makeshift "shim" required.
Someone tried to dig without the hoe locked on properly and it came up and crushed themself against the loader. (not sure how you could do that with the top hooks attached, but anyway) So Bobcat shortened the handles you grab to mount the hoe and installed this valve. If you forget your levers up as soon as the hoe lifts itself away from the loader on the bottom it would stop because the oil stopped flowing. Its not a bad safety feature, but it is a pita. Even after I tried to fix mine, sometimes the handles locked down but the flow was restricted. I'd almost forgot about it.
Ken

skidsteer.ca

Its in plain view, your one quick coupler hose goes straight to it. There are 2 7" or so round holes in the hoes QA, its on the left side, on the rh side of the left stabilizer. Hose goes in one side out the other. You need a # 10 j.i.c. male male joiner and 2 #10 caps to seal the valve off.
You may be able to adjust it towards the loader. Mine the bracket was bent that held it, hence the makeshift "shim" required.
Someone tried to dig without the hoe locked on properly and it came up and crushed themself against the loader. (not sure how you could do that with the top hooks attached, but anyway) So Bobcat shortened the handles you grab to mount the hoe and installed this valve. If you forget your levers up as soon as the hoe lifts itself away from the loader on the bottom it would stop because the oil stopped flowing. Its not a bad safety feature, but it is a pita. Even after I tried to fix mine, sometimes the handles locked down but the flow was restricted. I'd almost forgot about it.
Ken
I should have said "towards the inside (meaning center) of the hoe from the LH stabilizer" in my first post about the valve. Sorry for the confusion. It's so plain and simple in my mind that i forget a important word or two.
Ken

OP
OP
D

ddmacy

I should have said "towards the inside (meaning center) of the hoe from the LH stabilizer" in my first post about the valve. Sorry for the confusion. It's so plain and simple in my mind that i forget a important word or two.
Ken
I shut down the machine, restarted it, pushed the Aux Hydraulics button and it works fine. I don't have any clue as to what the problem was but all is OK. Thanks for all the input I wish I knew what the problem was. Maybe a stuck spool valve or solenoid I just know. Its OK now. THANKS A LOT FOR ALL THE INPUT! guys Thanks Dave

Latest posts