Auger drive standard or high flow?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

NITRO

I just bought a new holland L230 and am looking around for an auger drive to dig fence post holes. The hydraulics are pushing 87litres a minute or i have a high flow button and can have 131Litres a munute with the high flow ports. The machine is 90hp. With auger drives i see a couple of different brands here in Australia list drives for high flow skid steers. Which type of auger drive should i buy? Whats the pros/ cons? Thanks.

SkidRoe

Not sure wether to get a standard or high flow auger drive?
Unless you are drilling through rock or boring extremely large holes, I do not see any advantage to a high flow auger.
With the 773 (standard flow), I typically only run the machine at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle while digging 12" diameter holes. Most times, you do not want to be running too fast, as if the auger jams on something it lessens the chance that you will break something.
HTH - SR

Tazza

Staff member
Unless you are drilling through rock or boring extremely large holes, I do not see any advantage to a high flow auger.
With the 773 (standard flow), I typically only run the machine at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle while digging 12" diameter holes. Most times, you do not want to be running too fast, as if the auger jams on something it lessens the chance that you will break something.
HTH - SR
I'm with SkidRoe on that, i honestly don't think high flow is needed for drilling holes. I don't run my standard flow machine wide open to drill holes either, idle or a little higher is all you need.

OP
OP
N

NITRO

I'm with SkidRoe on that, i honestly don't think high flow is needed for drilling holes. I don't run my standard flow machine wide open to drill holes either, idle or a little higher is all you need.
Great, ill get a standard flow one. Thanks

wings5j

Great, ill get a standard flow one. Thanks
Hi, I have next to no experience with augers but thought I would pitch in with my first encounter. I had to drill two 18" holes, 40" deep and decided to rent an 18" post hole auger and give it a try. My 742B is normal flow (I have no idea what the auger required) and it did a great job with no problems. This was in clay ground. John