Attachments - Case 1816?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

aaa123

Hi, newbie here. I'm looking at getting a tiny skidsteer such as the Case 1816, just to be my big strong buddy at a new house I'm buying with a shop to be renovated and a lot of work to do. Carrying stuff, loading/unloading trucks, light landscaping - mostly pushing stuff around, that sort of thing. I want something tiny that can go inside a building and get into tight places, and this seems to be just the ticket. I see there are attachments out there for skidsteers, such as, say, an auger. I think I understand the bob-tach system which it seems the industry standardized to a while back and that the 1816 didn't come with any such thing but a mount like that can be purchased for it. Is it possible for this little Case to run small attachments like a post-hole auger? A concrete breaker? trencher? If so how do the hydraulics attach? I would like to be able to rent them somewhere per day, and I just need a bucket and forks and maybe a snowplow long-term. I did find a pdf of a nice brochure for the bobcat 463 which seems to be a similar size machine with 700lb ROC. The brochure showed all kinds of attachments in use, and that machine is 22hp, 10gpm hydraulics vs 16hp and 8gpm hydraulics for the 1816. Well, that was a mouthful! Great forum and I hope you guys can give me some info. thanks! -Hans

skidsteer.ca

Hans
The 463 and the 1816 are not going to run the standard skidsteer attachments, they are too small. A 553 bobcat (or S 95 ? new numbers) is the smallest bobcat brand loader with a standard quick attach.
Loaders made in the last 5 or so years have the best hydraulic pump capacity (flow in gpm, and pressure p.s.i.) to run augers and such kept getting higher on the newer machines in this weight class.
With the 1816 you need to make sure it has auxilary hydraulics (evident by quick couplers plumbed out on the boom behind the bucket) and even if it does the most it would likely handle would be the angle on a snow plow or a cylinder on a grapple. Again the newer machines have better hyd specs. For auger work you need at least 8 to 10 gpm and at least 2000 psi
Some of the new mini skidsteers you sit in share attachments with the mini skidsteers you stand on or walk behind. Bobcat has its own quick attach going on with the 463 if I understand it right.
However Toro dingo and simular walk behinds share there attachments with several other makes and models and if I was going mini I would be looking to see who around me might have these attachments for rent and what type or quick attach they use.
In all honesty I would be temped to rent a 463 or simular and try it. They are cute little machine and will vastly out work a wheel barrel, but as far as renting attachments you will be greatly limited by going smaller then the standard skidsteer quick attach.
I had a 553c 8.5 gpm 2000 psi, which I sold, it was good for dirt work, marginal for auger work, no extension to drill deeper because the loader would not lift high enough to pull the bit with a extension out of the ground, limiting drilling to 5 feet.
It was very tippy on uneven ground, do to short wheel base and narrow width.
No reasonable priced tracks could be had for it because the tires were smaller then 10 by 16.5
Way better then a wheel barrow, but if a 1300 lb lift machine with standard 10 by 16.5 tires and a standard QA and 13 to 15 gpm at 2500 or higher psi will fit in your jobsite I recommend going that way. You will be so much more versatile. Also with a mini, look at what you pallet fork ratings will be with the load center of gravity out 18" further forward, it will be much lower then the rated lift capacity of the loader. My 553 was rated 850 lbs, tipping load was 1700 lbs, forks were rated for 500 lb (from memeory) and maybe 900 max , All provided the ground is flat, add in a slope and it drops even more.
Regards
Ken

OP
OP
A

aaa123

Hans
The 463 and the 1816 are not going to run the standard skidsteer attachments, they are too small. A 553 bobcat (or S 95 ? new numbers) is the smallest bobcat brand loader with a standard quick attach.
Loaders made in the last 5 or so years have the best hydraulic pump capacity (flow in gpm, and pressure p.s.i.) to run augers and such kept getting higher on the newer machines in this weight class.
With the 1816 you need to make sure it has auxilary hydraulics (evident by quick couplers plumbed out on the boom behind the bucket) and even if it does the most it would likely handle would be the angle on a snow plow or a cylinder on a grapple. Again the newer machines have better hyd specs. For auger work you need at least 8 to 10 gpm and at least 2000 psi
Some of the new mini skidsteers you sit in share attachments with the mini skidsteers you stand on or walk behind. Bobcat has its own quick attach going on with the 463 if I understand it right.
However Toro dingo and simular walk behinds share there attachments with several other makes and models and if I was going mini I would be looking to see who around me might have these attachments for rent and what type or quick attach they use.
In all honesty I would be temped to rent a 463 or simular and try it. They are cute little machine and will vastly out work a wheel barrel, but as far as renting attachments you will be greatly limited by going smaller then the standard skidsteer quick attach.
I had a 553c 8.5 gpm 2000 psi, which I sold, it was good for dirt work, marginal for auger work, no extension to drill deeper because the loader would not lift high enough to pull the bit with a extension out of the ground, limiting drilling to 5 feet.
It was very tippy on uneven ground, do to short wheel base and narrow width.
No reasonable priced tracks could be had for it because the tires were smaller then 10 by 16.5
Way better then a wheel barrow, but if a 1300 lb lift machine with standard 10 by 16.5 tires and a standard QA and 13 to 15 gpm at 2500 or higher psi will fit in your jobsite I recommend going that way. You will be so much more versatile. Also with a mini, look at what you pallet fork ratings will be with the load center of gravity out 18" further forward, it will be much lower then the rated lift capacity of the loader. My 553 was rated 850 lbs, tipping load was 1700 lbs, forks were rated for 500 lb (from memeory) and maybe 900 max , All provided the ground is flat, add in a slope and it drops even more.
Regards
Ken
Ken, Thanks very much for taking the time; that was all a great summary that brought a lot of things into focus and gave me some numbers to work with. I had to read it a few times and look at some spec sheets again, but now it's coming clear. The info on forks is important to me - usually I'm under 500 lb, but occasionally I need to pick up something closer to 700 lb. I'm limited by budget so I'm trying to get a machine I can afford but also I want to be able to transport it sometimes. For the bigger machines you start needing a lot more trailer and truck than I have now, so I've been shying away from the bigger models. I do just need marginal abilities to run small attachments for now, so I'll keep digging and learning and come up with something. Thanks! -Hans

skidsteer.ca

Ken, Thanks very much for taking the time; that was all a great summary that brought a lot of things into focus and gave me some numbers to work with. I had to read it a few times and look at some spec sheets again, but now it's coming clear. The info on forks is important to me - usually I'm under 500 lb, but occasionally I need to pick up something closer to 700 lb. I'm limited by budget so I'm trying to get a machine I can afford but also I want to be able to transport it sometimes. For the bigger machines you start needing a lot more trailer and truck than I have now, so I've been shying away from the bigger models. I do just need marginal abilities to run small attachments for now, so I'll keep digging and learning and come up with something. Thanks! -Hans
Hans
Yes all things are relative. If a 553 was the only machine I had ever worked with, it would be awesome in my mind, and they will do alot. but I got spoiled by the large machine and have the truck to move it and the space for it to work in (usually).
Also how often you are going to need attachments really figures into how much machine you need. A friend bought a 1830 case, and it is much better then the 4 wheeler he had prior. But he is now debating the points I previously mentiioned to you. It has a non standard QA, but it is QA at least. So far he made the plow from his plow truck fit it. Much better then the truck for snow. Only other downside on them is a realtive slow 4.8 mph speed, where the 553 has 6 mph. It still cost him 5 grand though, the 1816 like you mention start around 3k. A 1/2 ton will move either machine in those sizes.
Do your homework and you will be happy with what you buy. Any used loader will hold its value so long as you keep it running.
Ken

OP
OP
A

aaa123

Hans
Yes all things are relative. If a 553 was the only machine I had ever worked with, it would be awesome in my mind, and they will do alot. but I got spoiled by the large machine and have the truck to move it and the space for it to work in (usually).
Also how often you are going to need attachments really figures into how much machine you need. A friend bought a 1830 case, and it is much better then the 4 wheeler he had prior. But he is now debating the points I previously mentiioned to you. It has a non standard QA, but it is QA at least. So far he made the plow from his plow truck fit it. Much better then the truck for snow. Only other downside on them is a realtive slow 4.8 mph speed, where the 553 has 6 mph. It still cost him 5 grand though, the 1816 like you mention start around 3k. A 1/2 ton will move either machine in those sizes.
Do your homework and you will be happy with what you buy. Any used loader will hold its value so long as you keep it running.
Ken
Ken, You totally understand where I'm at. I don't even have a 4-wheeler! :) I keep looking and turning it over, and finally I think I have enough vehicle to pull it and I just need a beefier trailer which I can find for not too much. I see bobcat 600 and 700 series machines come up at prices I can afford, and they are reasonable still to carry around I think. I can find gpm ratings for them, but I can't find psi ratings anywhere. Would those machines run common rental attachments? How about the Case 184x machines? From trying Case and Bobcat machines briefly, I much more like the hand controls over foot controls in the bobcat. Not many Case machines showing up for sale. -Hans p.s. how do you get the text into paragraphs instead of all run together?