Are Skidsteers jumpy?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TheMEGAbobcatman

Hi, I'm just woundering if the Bobcat 553 or 463 is jumpy, because I want to buy a Bobcat 553 or 463, but I want to know how jumpy it will even be? or will it even be jumpy?, and how could I make the Bobcat less jumpier? Thanks :)

OldMachinist

Not really sure what you mean by jumpy but like all machines a rough ride depends on operator, terrain, load, tires or tracks. My 453 without a load on the arms rides a little rough and when someone new starts using it can look like its jumping all over the place until they learn to stop over compensating with the steering levers.

skidsteer.ca

Not really sure what you mean by jumpy but like all machines a rough ride depends on operator, terrain, load, tires or tracks. My 453 without a load on the arms rides a little rough and when someone new starts using it can look like its jumping all over the place until they learn to stop over compensating with the steering levers.
Yes it is more a matter of the machine being more responsive then the operator. Once the two get in sinc with each other they are actually vary smooth. A combination of being able to see exatly what your doing and a machine with infinitely variable speed (or braking/stopping) isvary smooth. Ride however is rough, but you can slow up or stop then acellerate to full speed and never have to shift a gear, so just slow down when needed.
The short wheelbase (453 553 753 etc) machines however are more suited to flat country though and the operator must make a pont of driving "heavy end first" to climb hills. Some models with longer wheel bases like 763 or heavier machines like JD and NH are better suited to hills.
Ken

waggles

Yes it is more a matter of the machine being more responsive then the operator. Once the two get in sinc with each other they are actually vary smooth. A combination of being able to see exatly what your doing and a machine with infinitely variable speed (or braking/stopping) isvary smooth. Ride however is rough, but you can slow up or stop then acellerate to full speed and never have to shift a gear, so just slow down when needed.
The short wheelbase (453 553 753 etc) machines however are more suited to flat country though and the operator must make a pont of driving "heavy end first" to climb hills. Some models with longer wheel bases like 763 or heavier machines like JD and NH are better suited to hills.
Ken
Newer machines (S130) have hydraulic dampers on the steering to smooth out control inputs. Thats good for some but I took mine off, because they slowed me down too much and after 22 years driving bobcats I am used to no dampers on my old 743.

Tazza

Staff member
Newer machines (S130) have hydraulic dampers on the steering to smooth out control inputs. Thats good for some but I took mine off, because they slowed me down too much and after 22 years driving bobcats I am used to no dampers on my old 743.
The major cause of jumpyness is wear, i have an S250 with worn alloy blocks that bolt to the pump. The small amount of slop there sure makes the machine jump around, especially when you're trying to do precise movements. I'm in the process of buying a new set of blocks to fix the problem.

tawilson1152

The major cause of jumpyness is wear, i have an S250 with worn alloy blocks that bolt to the pump. The small amount of slop there sure makes the machine jump around, especially when you're trying to do precise movements. I'm in the process of buying a new set of blocks to fix the problem.
Tazza, seeing as I just purchased a S250, I'm curious about these alloy blocks you mention and is there something to be done to help prevent the wear?

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, seeing as I just purchased a S250, I'm curious about these alloy blocks you mention and is there something to be done to help prevent the wear?
The only prevention you can perform is to make sure the bolts on them stay tight. If they become loose, they will wollow out. New blocks aren't expensive, its just a pain to find time to get in there to do the job.
The part that wears is the square drive that attaches to the pump.