Any Volvo experience?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dukedaily

Hello All! New to this but I am looking for my first skid and have decided between either a used Bobcat S175 or a Volvo MC70. Can anyone tell me the upside/downside of the Volvo?

skidsteer.ca

No, sorry. But if you buy one you can fill us in. ;)
I'm sure Volvo a great product too. You have compared the specs and asked the dealers where they feel their machine would perform above the other?
Ken

OP
OP
D

dukedaily

No, sorry. But if you buy one you can fill us in. ;)
I'm sure Volvo a great product too. You have compared the specs and asked the dealers where they feel their machine would perform above the other?
Ken
With all my buddies that do dirt work none know much if anything abt the Volvo. I found a Bobcat S175 for decent price but high hours (4000+/-) all indoors mostly idling loading pallets into semitrailers.... Any ideas on this deal with this many hours? 2004 Bobcat S175. I would be using it for approx 20 hours per month for light debris removal from buildings.

Tazza

Staff member
With all my buddies that do dirt work none know much if anything abt the Volvo. I found a Bobcat S175 for decent price but high hours (4000+/-) all indoors mostly idling loading pallets into semitrailers.... Any ideas on this deal with this many hours? 2004 Bobcat S175. I would be using it for approx 20 hours per month for light debris removal from buildings.
I have never seen a Volvo SSL, so i'm sure parts would also be pricy....
Thats quite a few hours for such a late model machine. If they said the machine did a lot of idling that too is a bad thing, when an engine stays at a set RPM for long periods of time without load the pistons and head carbon up and the bores glaze up. This causes problems with the rings making a good seal. If the price is really good and the hydrostats/hydraulics work well you can always throw a new engine at it later on. Diesel engines should never be left to idle for long periods of time. They also require about 30+% load at all times to prevent carbon build up (not too sure on the percentages though).
Personally i'd stick to the Bobcat and steer away from the Volvo, but thats just me.
Good luck on your hunt!!

OP
OP
D

dukedaily

I have never seen a Volvo SSL, so i'm sure parts would also be pricy....
Thats quite a few hours for such a late model machine. If they said the machine did a lot of idling that too is a bad thing, when an engine stays at a set RPM for long periods of time without load the pistons and head carbon up and the bores glaze up. This causes problems with the rings making a good seal. If the price is really good and the hydrostats/hydraulics work well you can always throw a new engine at it later on. Diesel engines should never be left to idle for long periods of time. They also require about 30+% load at all times to prevent carbon build up (not too sure on the percentages though).
Personally i'd stick to the Bobcat and steer away from the Volvo, but thats just me.
Good luck on your hunt!!
Thanks Tazza. While researching on this site I have seen many very good and useful posts from you! I have to agree on the high hours and this is what I was thinking but the "sidewalk superintendants" keep saying since it was used inside a warehouse it should be serviced regularly and would be a good buy...

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks Tazza. While researching on this site I have seen many very good and useful posts from you! I have to agree on the high hours and this is what I was thinking but the "sidewalk superintendants" keep saying since it was used inside a warehouse it should be serviced regularly and would be a good buy...
You are more than welcome. I'm sure my views aren't shared by everyone but everyone is entitled to make their own minds up.
Even though it was used in a warehouse situation doesn't always mean it was serviced regularly. But it would limit its exposure to dirt/dust thats the main cause of wear. I also don't know how long the pumps last in these newer machines.....

OP
OP
D

dukedaily

You are more than welcome. I'm sure my views aren't shared by everyone but everyone is entitled to make their own minds up.
Even though it was used in a warehouse situation doesn't always mean it was serviced regularly. But it would limit its exposure to dirt/dust thats the main cause of wear. I also don't know how long the pumps last in these newer machines.....
Well the hunt is over! 05 Case 40xt. Runs like a dream now I better get it dirty!

foton

some of them now are rebadged JCB's wish I had a extra 100,000.00 I would have a nice one.