Any problems w/ tracks and aired-tires?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jklingel

I've been reading about the pros/cons of running over the tire tracks, and have come across concerns about extra strains imposed by tracks over, at least, solid tires. Have any of you had a chance to put many hours on over the tire tracks while using normal, aired tires? I am about to receive (getting itchy!) a new JD 332 and am considering using tracks on occasion, but when I called my dealer I got "We don't even sell tracks. Too many warranty issues." That was a bad omen. Experiences w/ aired or solid tires and tracks? Does it make any difference what type of track tread (steel, rubber, etc)? Thanks. j

Tazza

Staff member
I don't have any experience with tracks but the things i have heard about them on here aren't all bad. One thing that does cause problems is using solid tyres. They are hard on your drive train (chains and sprockets). I read somewhere if you are going to run chains all the time its a good thing to remove your front drive chains so only your back tyres are powered and you will not snap your chains.
I would seriously doubt you will have any issues if you only run them every so often. With the effort to fit and remove them, i doubt you will be taking them off all that often!
I'm sure others will have more to add on the subject.

sandhills-elect

I don't have any experience with tracks but the things i have heard about them on here aren't all bad. One thing that does cause problems is using solid tyres. They are hard on your drive train (chains and sprockets). I read somewhere if you are going to run chains all the time its a good thing to remove your front drive chains so only your back tyres are powered and you will not snap your chains.
I would seriously doubt you will have any issues if you only run them every so often. With the effort to fit and remove them, i doubt you will be taking them off all that often!
I'm sure others will have more to add on the subject.
I have heard that the rubber over the tire is smooth but they can built up and cause bearing problems. I was going to put tracks on my machine and just about every one said if you want a track machine buy a track machine and it will do more that over the tire. When you put tracks on then you need spacer and then bucket is to narrow, and maybe different tires, you never know where to stop. Metal over the tire makes it bad to be on concret or asphalt. I am not say that you can't do more with tracks on, just going to have to give somwhere. They are bound to make more wear on a machine because it was designed for tires only. Just my 2 cents. Good luck Brent.

mllud

I have heard that the rubber over the tire is smooth but they can built up and cause bearing problems. I was going to put tracks on my machine and just about every one said if you want a track machine buy a track machine and it will do more that over the tire. When you put tracks on then you need spacer and then bucket is to narrow, and maybe different tires, you never know where to stop. Metal over the tire makes it bad to be on concret or asphalt. I am not say that you can't do more with tracks on, just going to have to give somwhere. They are bound to make more wear on a machine because it was designed for tires only. Just my 2 cents. Good luck Brent.
All the negatives are true. As long as the operator or owner knows and accepts the sacrafice in wear and tear,he then gets the benefits of the traction and versatility.I have foam filled tires and Loegering tracks.Bad boy, Bad boy. .I took my tracks off too try to save the lawn from damage. By the end of the second day I was putting them back on.Ill sacrafice some wear and tear for the benefits.How and what you use you loader for makes a differance.In another post I asked if it would be better to let the tires spin to not bog the machine down. Ken had a good answer. better to get the job done than to spin tires. I believe he is right.Knowing how far to push is the key. Not doing Bat Turns when can be avioded. Just my opinoin. Mike

OP
OP
J

jklingel

All the negatives are true. As long as the operator or owner knows and accepts the sacrafice in wear and tear,he then gets the benefits of the traction and versatility.I have foam filled tires and Loegering tracks.Bad boy, Bad boy. .I took my tracks off too try to save the lawn from damage. By the end of the second day I was putting them back on.Ill sacrafice some wear and tear for the benefits.How and what you use you loader for makes a differance.In another post I asked if it would be better to let the tires spin to not bog the machine down. Ken had a good answer. better to get the job done than to spin tires. I believe he is right.Knowing how far to push is the key. Not doing Bat Turns when can be avioded. Just my opinoin. Mike
Mike: Thanks for the info. I have a few questions to make sure I am clear as to what you said. (1) I assume you mean you have the over-tire Loegers. ??? Which series, and how are they lasting? I am wondering if the N-series would be OK on a JD 332 for occasional use, or if that is just wishful thinking. (2) How much time does it take to put the tracks on? (3) By spinning the wheels, do you mean w/in the tracks? I assume NOT, but dunno. (4) Why Loegers over, say, the lighter (?) McLaren's? Thanks a lot, and to the others that posted here. I think you made a good point about "take it easy". john

mllud

Mike: Thanks for the info. I have a few questions to make sure I am clear as to what you said. (1) I assume you mean you have the over-tire Loegers. ??? Which series, and how are they lasting? I am wondering if the N-series would be OK on a JD 332 for occasional use, or if that is just wishful thinking. (2) How much time does it take to put the tracks on? (3) By spinning the wheels, do you mean w/in the tracks? I assume NOT, but dunno. (4) Why Loegers over, say, the lighter (?) McLaren's? Thanks a lot, and to the others that posted here. I think you made a good point about "take it easy". john
I have over the tire and am running them on a 60 HP New Holland.They came with the loader so I a havent looked at loegering web site to identify the series.The cleats are about 4 inches wide. They take me about 30 minuts to put on. I have the wratchet strap loegering sells to put them on.I cant spin the tracks. once in a while it will spin a tire a little inside the track. not often.I run my tracks just a hair looser than recomended because I have foam filled tires.A little slack in case something gets inside between the track and tire. The Foam filled tires also came with the loader. It would be better to run air in tires.If they had not came with the machine I may have gone with lighter tracks.I dont know what HP a John deer 332 i but from your question Im guessing 40 or so. You might be better with lighter tracks on a mid sized machine. I have a neighbor that has the same tracks, His are worn but I think he said he had over 1200 hours. My tracks have a couple hundred hours on them. Not enough to judge. Hopefully Ken will come on . He has some loegering that have been tested. There tracks that you can buy two or more pair for the price of loegering. Mike

mllud

I have over the tire and am running them on a 60 HP New Holland.They came with the loader so I a havent looked at loegering web site to identify the series.The cleats are about 4 inches wide. They take me about 30 minuts to put on. I have the wratchet strap loegering sells to put them on.I cant spin the tracks. once in a while it will spin a tire a little inside the track. not often.I run my tracks just a hair looser than recomended because I have foam filled tires.A little slack in case something gets inside between the track and tire. The Foam filled tires also came with the loader. It would be better to run air in tires.If they had not came with the machine I may have gone with lighter tracks.I dont know what HP a John deer 332 i but from your question Im guessing 40 or so. You might be better with lighter tracks on a mid sized machine. I have a neighbor that has the same tracks, His are worn but I think he said he had over 1200 hours. My tracks have a couple hundred hours on them. Not enough to judge. Hopefully Ken will come on . He has some loegering that have been tested. There tracks that you can buy two or more pair for the price of loegering. Mike
I went to J/D webite, your J/D is huge. The last sentence on the lat post I meant to say. There are tracks , not, There tracks. Tracks make a huge difference.

mllud

I went to J/D webite, your J/D is huge. The last sentence on the lat post I meant to say. There are tracks , not, There tracks. Tracks make a huge difference.
John
I didnt see N series on loegering web site. I have the F series they are rated up to 120 H/P. They should work fine on your 85 H/P. When I talked about spinning tires in my first post, that was with the tracks off.

OP
OP
J

jklingel

John
I didnt see N series on loegering web site. I have the F series they are rated up to 120 H/P. They should work fine on your 85 H/P. When I talked about spinning tires in my first post, that was with the tracks off.
Mike: Thanks for clarifying those issues for me. Yes, the 332 is pretty big, as far as skid steers go. I am hoping I did not get a machine that proves to be "too small to be REAL useful, but too big to be really used (on smaller jobs)". Boy, putting on tracks in a half hour is not a big deal; I expected to hear "an hour or two". With my browser, Loeger has VST, QTS , then F, Z, and N-series, the N being "economy" types. I don't think N will work for me. F seem to be more floatation, and Z more grip. If I recall, one type of the McLaren tracks are about $2500, and lighter than steel by about 500 lbs/pair. Don't quote me on that; vague memory. Will have to recheck. I'll see what the Loegers cost, but I hear they are spendy.

OP
OP
J

jklingel

Mike: Thanks for clarifying those issues for me. Yes, the 332 is pretty big, as far as skid steers go. I am hoping I did not get a machine that proves to be "too small to be REAL useful, but too big to be really used (on smaller jobs)". Boy, putting on tracks in a half hour is not a big deal; I expected to hear "an hour or two". With my browser, Loeger has VST, QTS , then F, Z, and N-series, the N being "economy" types. I don't think N will work for me. F seem to be more floatation, and Z more grip. If I recall, one type of the McLaren tracks are about $2500, and lighter than steel by about 500 lbs/pair. Don't quote me on that; vague memory. Will have to recheck. I'll see what the Loegers cost, but I hear they are spendy.
Brent: Yes, once to change a system, the old ripple effect can nail your butt real hard. Bigger loader needs a bigger trailer, which needs a bigger receiver hitch and a pintel hook. And tracks may put me a tad over the weight limit on my trailer.... yet a BIGGER trailer? That is a good point you made about the tracks now being wider than the bucket; I'll have to watch that. Did not think of it. Hmm.... Is the answer to put the money in the bank and just hire someone once in a while, and NOT work? Sheeees.

mllud

John
I did find the n series, Im sure they would work fine. You will be amazed at the versitility of your slid loader. There are a lot of other threads on this subject. You might try a search or Just go back and look.There are to many over the tire tracks running for them to be to destructive. I dougt that you are going to be abusive to your new tool. Mike

mllud

John
I did find the n series, Im sure they would work fine. You will be amazed at the versitility of your slid loader. There are a lot of other threads on this subject. You might try a search or Just go back and look.There are to many over the tire tracks running for them to be to destructive. I dougt that you are going to be abusive to your new tool. Mike
John One more disadvantage to over the tire tracks. The tracks raise your loader a couple of inches. So when your boom is all the way down against the stops. Your bucket doesnt set flat on the ground. It changes the angle that the cutting edge touches the ground. Takes getting usse to when finish grading.

skidsteer.ca

I wonder if JD had that policy about OTT tracks before they brought there CTL out.
If you want your loader to last the most possible hours, just start it and leave it idle forever.
If you want it to get the most possible work done b4 it wears out then tracks may be a good option depending on your jobsite. If they prevent you from getting stuck and /or allow you to be more productive, they will pay for themselves in a short period.
If you run ott too tight or if you routinely get rocks the size of you fist or larger inside the track and force it through between the track and you tire, (remember the slack in the track and the cushion in the tire has to make room for the obsticle) you can break drive chains, and wheel bearing on some machines. This is a factor of knowing your job site. If its full or rocks, don't make tight turns that push dirt and rocks up against and possibly into the side of track. If you do get something in there, when the loader engine and pumps moan and groan and the track get tight, stop get out and remove it.
My policy is not to make tight turns when ever possible anyway. If you love spinning in tight circles your just tearing up tires and turf for nothing anyway. I'd ask another dealer or two.
I think they're pushing their track loader. And if you have the budget, track loader will out perform ott because the track is longer and better supported. But it also cost another (at least) $10 a hour in wear to operate.
With ott you have the option. That being said I find the ott pay me back in tire wear savings. With 500 hours in my tires are 65%. In mud you will go 3 times further before getting stuck is a issue. In gravel you can push twice as hard to fill the bucket without spinning.
Solid tires are a no no. I have run foam filled for 500+ hours without issue on a 773, which likely has smaller drive chains then any new loader # 80 I think.
1/2 to 2/3 those hours where rentals.
MacClaren claims there flat proof tires are softer then foam and ok with tracks. (I'd consider them the same, but have not used theirs so they may be right)
So I'd say ask you dealer if he will refuse warranty if you run tracks and go from there.
Ken

OP
OP
J

jklingel

I wonder if JD had that policy about OTT tracks before they brought there CTL out.
If you want your loader to last the most possible hours, just start it and leave it idle forever.
If you want it to get the most possible work done b4 it wears out then tracks may be a good option depending on your jobsite. If they prevent you from getting stuck and /or allow you to be more productive, they will pay for themselves in a short period.
If you run ott too tight or if you routinely get rocks the size of you fist or larger inside the track and force it through between the track and you tire, (remember the slack in the track and the cushion in the tire has to make room for the obsticle) you can break drive chains, and wheel bearing on some machines. This is a factor of knowing your job site. If its full or rocks, don't make tight turns that push dirt and rocks up against and possibly into the side of track. If you do get something in there, when the loader engine and pumps moan and groan and the track get tight, stop get out and remove it.
My policy is not to make tight turns when ever possible anyway. If you love spinning in tight circles your just tearing up tires and turf for nothing anyway. I'd ask another dealer or two.
I think they're pushing their track loader. And if you have the budget, track loader will out perform ott because the track is longer and better supported. But it also cost another (at least) $10 a hour in wear to operate.
With ott you have the option. That being said I find the ott pay me back in tire wear savings. With 500 hours in my tires are 65%. In mud you will go 3 times further before getting stuck is a issue. In gravel you can push twice as hard to fill the bucket without spinning.
Solid tires are a no no. I have run foam filled for 500+ hours without issue on a 773, which likely has smaller drive chains then any new loader # 80 I think.
1/2 to 2/3 those hours where rentals.
MacClaren claims there flat proof tires are softer then foam and ok with tracks. (I'd consider them the same, but have not used theirs so they may be right)
So I'd say ask you dealer if he will refuse warranty if you run tracks and go from there.
Ken
Mike/Ca: Thanks again. All good info to digest. I will see what kind of work I get into, but I can imagine that summer rains, thawing ground that pumps to mush, and general "need more push" will encourage me to get tracks. I better start pricing them, and will read wherever I can about users' experiences w/ each brand. john