Another 863 Bogging/Dying fuel problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

endo27

Hello all. I have literally read through over 100 posts here in the last 2 days, searching for a conclusive answer to my 863's dying issue. The machine is an old 863(F) Melroe Ingersoll Rand unit, serial #514431251 powered by the Deutz BF4M 4 cyl diesel.
The problem is the same as many others have presented here, but I can not find a conclusive, definitive solution.
The machine runs great for a little bit then will start bogging down and eventually dying while running at full throttle. Even does this at lower RPMs and idle though not as bad. The issue has been getting worse (happening sooner) as time goes on.
This problem all started two years ago with a broken pick-up tube in the fuel tank. I replaced that and things were good for a little while then the problem returned. Thinking maybe the new pick-up tube (not hard-plastic type) was floating up in the tank and sucking air, I pulled it out and replaced with a 2nd new one. I wired a lead fishing weight to the end of the new pick up tube and re-installed in the tank. Same issues, no change.

Things I've done:
Replaced the pick-up tube 3X
Replaced the squeeze-bulb 2X
Removed squeeze-bulb completely (currently)
Added in-line one-way check valve between pick-up tube and canister filter
Removed the one-way check valve (currently)
Replaced the mechanical fuel (lift) pump 3X (Amazon Chinese)
Replaced the external canister fuel filter/water separator 2X
Replaced ALL rubber fuel hoses
Added clear fuel filter in line between pick-up tube and mechanical fuel pump
Added electric fuel pump between pick-up tube and mechanical fuel pump
Bled and bled and bled through bleeder screw on canister filter housing
Made sure bleeder screw is tightly closed.
Checked fuel shut-off solenoid - clicks open with every key-on
Replaced all rubber return hoses at each injector
Cracked each injector individually, with engine running, with a shower of diesel spraying out
Drained and refilled fuel tank 2X

Currently the machine has a new pick-up tube with lead weight on the end, new rubber fuel lines, inline clear fuel filter between pick-up tube and added inline electric fuel pump (7-9psi) before running into the mechanical fuel pump. New mechanical fuel pump, removed squeeze bulb, new canister fuel filter/water separator. Full, fresh fuel in tank, new return rubber lines from injectors.

A few things I read here and haven't had a chance to try yet:
Placing electric fuel pump AFTER the mechanical fuel (lift) pump
Loosening and/or replacing fuel cap

What is going on with this monster of a machine ? ! Could there be an issue with the injector pump ? What about the injectors ? I've read a mention in one thread about checking the governor. Does this Duetz engine have a governor ? If so, where is it located and how would one test it?

I'm just about to the point of putting this machine in the auction and find a newer replacement machine.... Does anybody have any more sage suggestions ? ? ?

Thanks to any who take the time to read through all this and offer their help !

laurencen

when machind died did you check bulb to see if it was colapsed? if not would it easily pump fuel.

I would try a lift pump for starters

polishpete

that or u have garbage in the tank meaning when u start is ok but it works like a vacum
clogs the tube did u clean the tank

OP
OP
E

endo27

when machind died did you check bulb to see if it was colapsed? if not would it easily pump fuel.

I would try a lift pump for starters
I have removed the squeeze bulb, it is no longer on the machine. I have replaced the lift pump 3X...

OP
OP
E

endo27

that or u have garbage in the tank meaning when u start is ok but it works like a vacum
clogs the tube did u clean the tank
Air - How or where would air be entering the closed system ? Through the injector pump ?
I have completely drained the fuel tank twice now and have notice any 'crap' come out of it. I have not removed the tank to clean it out as it's mounted under the engine and pump on this 863. But speaking of vacuum, do you think it could be a faulty fuel cap not allowing air into tank therefore creating a vacuum ?

OP
OP
E

endo27

yea sounds like u have debri in the tank wash it out
I will try running the machine from a clean diesel can of fuel and see if that changes anything. That's the other thing I haven't tried yet. Thanks for keeping me thinking.

brdgbldr

I have removed the squeeze bulb, it is no longer on the machine. I have replaced the lift pump 3X...
I could be wrong, but I believe that the squeeze bulb has a check valve in it to prevent the fuel in the line from returning to the tank.

This also means that it could be installed backwards if not paying attention.

polishpete

run it with cap off u tried eveything pretty much does it smoke could be loss of comprssion
but i doubt it

polishpete

well air if their is a whole or pinch in a line could also be the fuel line
is kinked and u dont see it

OP
OP
E

endo27

Sooo, I went out and played with the machine again today: Took out the inline disposable fuel filter and had good flow out the electric pump, once it was re-primed. Notice the fuel coming out of bleeder was horribly clouded/milky (water in fuel !) flushed lines until fuel cleared up, this took a couple minutes pumping through the electric pump. Left the disposable filter out and put everything back together. Machine fired right up. Left it running at full throttle for about five minutes without a single hiccup. Told my operator to run the crap out of the machine and try to run all the fuel out of it, and I left. About three hours later my operator called to tell me the machine once again died - "lost it's prime" was his thought as he wasn't getting any fuel supply coming out of electric pump. He re-primed pump and it fire up and seem to run fine. He drove it back up to solid ground where he discovered he lost the air-bleed screw from the canister filter. Argh... He was going to run to town to try and find a new bleed screw and re-install a new disposable filter.
Now when we did get it going, we had the fuel cap off the machine. After it was running, I replaced the fuel cap and it was running for those 3 hours with the fuel cap on....

One way check valve was mentioned above also. The new fuel pick-up tube has a one-way check ball in the end of it, so I've left the squeeze-bulb off. I hate to say it, but yeah, it's looking more and more like a dirty tank ? ! I might try draining the tank several times with 10 gallons of fuel a few times and see if anything nasty comes out of the drained fuel ?
Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

polishpete

WELL i dont rember but i belive u could stick a little vacum in their not sure or
fill it up so the debrie floats and than use a vacum if u understand what i tryingt to say
the machine works like a vacum once start will run but than it starts picking up debri blocking the tube

foton

If the fuel was milkey I would assume that is water contamination, if it is possible for you to pump the tank out some other way than the stated two times you have done already I would try that, pulling the tank for a proper cleaning would be best but time consuming. maybe a water fuel seperator as used in the marine industry could be used ,they typically have a view window so the fuel can be looked at for purity, and a petcock so contaminates can be drained off.

OP
OP
E

endo27

If the fuel was milkey I would assume that is water contamination, if it is possible for you to pump the tank out some other way than the stated two times you have done already I would try that, pulling the tank for a proper cleaning would be best but time consuming. maybe a water fuel seperator as used in the marine industry could be used ,they typically have a view window so the fuel can be looked at for purity, and a petcock so contaminates can be drained off.
Foton; That was an option I've been thinking about - adding another fuel/water separator. Though it's starting to get a bit crowded in that area of the engine - LOL

Latest posts