Am I splitting hairs between these models?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TDog77

We are taking over one of my parents properties where the original homestead was destroyed many years ago by a tornado and I know to get it done I want a skid to do it. I have been running them for years in construction from CAT, Bobcat (the only one I would never purchase...flame suit donned) Deere, Case and New Holland. We made our decision years ago and went with New Holland and got my dad a LX-885 and that thing has been a champ. I will need it to carry Round bales, dig post holes, do a lot of grading on soft sandy loam soil with no rocks, tree cleanup, trenching etc. I got a lead on a L-175 unit on what I think is a good price but in the back of my mind I keep thinking I should go with the L-180 model. It is around 3 horse larger, weighs about 800 lbs more, has a longer wheelbase and the Hydro flow on standard capacity is 500psi higher and about 3 gallons per minute more. The lifting capacity is 2000 vs 2200 and the tipping load is 400 lbs more. Money is tight and I want the least used unit possible and needless to say the L175 is cheaper. Will the difference be fairly negligible and I should just go with the best deal or should I size up. As a side not my dads old and tired LX-885 has done everything we ask of it and then some and state wise it sits about in between the 175 and 180 I am looking at. Opinions?

Mike10

I have yet to see anyone who goes down in skid loader size happy. The L175 is a good loader but will not do what your 885 or 180 will do. While the lift capacity is close the breakout force difference is significant. The controls on the 175 are stiffer since they do not have servo assist. If you could swing it I would suggest you go with an LS.B or L series large frame loader.

OP
OP
T

TDog77

I have yet to see anyone who goes down in skid loader size happy. The L175 is a good loader but will not do what your 885 or 180 will do. While the lift capacity is close the breakout force difference is significant. The controls on the 175 are stiffer since they do not have servo assist. If you could swing it I would suggest you go with an LS.B or L series large frame loader.
I moved up to the L180 and am looking at the L185 as well.