Airconditioning

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Marc1

Hi there! Has anyone attempted to fit a door and aircon to an open cab loader? It's a CAT 257B Any suggestions appreciated.

thetool

Hi to you! You posted this a while ago and nobody replied......=(
Anyway-As caterpillar is good and all, I'd bet that they have a kit like Bobcat does--mebbe Bobcat_Ron knows. Kits, rather.....Bobcat has a kit to enclose the cab, a kit for a heater, and a kit for a/c. Easily installed but spendy(it's all relative, I guess).
I'd like to know, too.

bobcat_ron

Hi to you! You posted this a while ago and nobody replied......=(
Anyway-As caterpillar is good and all, I'd bet that they have a kit like Bobcat does--mebbe Bobcat_Ron knows. Kits, rather.....Bobcat has a kit to enclose the cab, a kit for a heater, and a kit for a/c. Easily installed but spendy(it's all relative, I guess).
I'd like to know, too.
It's cheaper to buy a machine with the A/C, but if you plan on doing the work yourself, it's not that hard, Cat does proveide awesome plans with descriptive drawings, and Cat skid steers are very easy to work on.

mdterp

It's cheaper to buy a machine with the A/C, but if you plan on doing the work yourself, it's not that hard, Cat does proveide awesome plans with descriptive drawings, and Cat skid steers are very easy to work on.
How long have you worked for Caterpiller, I have (and alot of people)have had only nightmares with them

Digdeep

How long have you worked for Caterpiller, I have (and alot of people)have had only nightmares with them
The question was "Does CAT have an A/C kit", not "Do you think CAT sucks". This is the second forum where you've done nothing but bash CAT. They are not my favorite brand either, nor is NH, Case or JD but I refrain from injecting "they have all kinds of "nightmares" into my posts. I sold almost 80 Bobcat machines a year for over 8 years and some of them had problems (plenty of them had lots of problems) but I don't bash them either. Just maybe there is one happy MTL customer out there, at least I think so, CAT has sold thousands of them to be second in marketshare.

Fishfiles

The question was "Does CAT have an A/C kit", not "Do you think CAT sucks". This is the second forum where you've done nothing but bash CAT. They are not my favorite brand either, nor is NH, Case or JD but I refrain from injecting "they have all kinds of "nightmares" into my posts. I sold almost 80 Bobcat machines a year for over 8 years and some of them had problems (plenty of them had lots of problems) but I don't bash them either. Just maybe there is one happy MTL customer out there, at least I think so, CAT has sold thousands of them to be second in marketshare.
Yea , it's not nice to pick on the mechanically chalanged under achievers , just cause they suck , you shouldn't say it out loud ---------I think it would be a nightmare money pit to add a/c to your kiddy cat , unless maybe you mounted a unit on the roof -----that would be a good question for a cat site , what answer did you expect on a Bobcat forum -----------after selling 80 Bobcats a year for 8 years you should have realized by now which one is the best tracked loader ---Takeuchi

Digdeep

Yea , it's not nice to pick on the mechanically chalanged under achievers , just cause they suck , you shouldn't say it out loud ---------I think it would be a nightmare money pit to add a/c to your kiddy cat , unless maybe you mounted a unit on the roof -----that would be a good question for a cat site , what answer did you expect on a Bobcat forum -----------after selling 80 Bobcats a year for 8 years you should have realized by now which one is the best tracked loader ---Takeuchi
True...this is a bobcat site, but there are also many posts on this site related to multiple brands. Takeuchi's machines do have some nice features, but there are many things that I don't like about them that keep me from seriously considering them. I have nothing against mdterp but this is the second forum that he has visited, made a few posts and primarily hammered on CAT, then left. I'm no big fan of the CAT MTL but I think its important to try to be constructive. Chirping up with "CAT's are nightmares" in a discussion related to fitting an A/C to a machine doesn't further the conversation or help the person asking. Just my two cents. maybe I'm too uptight.

thetool

True...this is a bobcat site, but there are also many posts on this site related to multiple brands. Takeuchi's machines do have some nice features, but there are many things that I don't like about them that keep me from seriously considering them. I have nothing against mdterp but this is the second forum that he has visited, made a few posts and primarily hammered on CAT, then left. I'm no big fan of the CAT MTL but I think its important to try to be constructive. Chirping up with "CAT's are nightmares" in a discussion related to fitting an A/C to a machine doesn't further the conversation or help the person asking. Just my two cents. maybe I'm too uptight.
The guy's bobcat_ron's nemesis.
Perhaps his hit-and-run cat-bashing is the board's preparation for the "fairness doctrine" soon to be imposed on all?.....=)

mdterp

The guy's bobcat_ron's nemesis.
Perhaps his hit-and-run cat-bashing is the board's preparation for the "fairness doctrine" soon to be imposed on all?.....=)
Hit and run?? I just started on these type of sites. I am not trying to be negitive or bash caterpiller but the amount of praise the mtl's get from certin people is shocking. I am no there to cause any problems just to exchange ideas will fellow equipment guys and gals. as for Digdeep sorry to cause your blood pressure to rise!

Digdeep

Hit and run?? I just started on these type of sites. I am not trying to be negitive or bash caterpiller but the amount of praise the mtl's get from certin people is shocking. I am no there to cause any problems just to exchange ideas will fellow equipment guys and gals. as for Digdeep sorry to cause your blood pressure to rise!
No big deal. I do appreciate the different opinions. As I stated earlier, CAT is not my favorite, nor is Bobcat and I sold them for over 8 years. After leaving the sales side of life and purchasing a machine that I could earn income with I went with the machine that best fit my needs and stayed away from focusing on the brand.

mdterp

No big deal. I do appreciate the different opinions. As I stated earlier, CAT is not my favorite, nor is Bobcat and I sold them for over 8 years. After leaving the sales side of life and purchasing a machine that I could earn income with I went with the machine that best fit my needs and stayed away from focusing on the brand.
Try not to get so emotional when someone see a problem with your choices. I see why you go so excited with my Caterpiller comments because they related to your ASV purchase. You have to live with it and the comments that come along with it. Nothing personal, its the choice you made

Digdeep

Try not to get so emotional when someone see a problem with your choices. I see why you go so excited with my Caterpiller comments because they related to your ASV purchase. You have to live with it and the comments that come along with it. Nothing personal, its the choice you made
I've been "round the horn" enough not to get "emotional" with the choices I've made or what others say. The fact that you don't care for the CAT MTLs is actually pretty close to how I feel. Other than the 247, I think that the MTLs are too heavy in the rear, underpowered, too wide, etc. I never really considered a CAT prior to my purchase because I don't care for the local CAT dealer. I definitely did not consider Bobcat after selling and seeing all of the issues my customers experienced. Takeuchi makes a pretty good machine but they don't perform well on lawns, sidewalks, or the snow. I've gotten great performance, reliability, and production out of my machine and i'm sure many folks get what they consider the same out of the brand they they bought. I'm looking forward to see what you can share with us on these forums. i'm sure you have lots of experience and input.

OP
OP
Marc1

Marc1

I've been "round the horn" enough not to get "emotional" with the choices I've made or what others say. The fact that you don't care for the CAT MTLs is actually pretty close to how I feel. Other than the 247, I think that the MTLs are too heavy in the rear, underpowered, too wide, etc. I never really considered a CAT prior to my purchase because I don't care for the local CAT dealer. I definitely did not consider Bobcat after selling and seeing all of the issues my customers experienced. Takeuchi makes a pretty good machine but they don't perform well on lawns, sidewalks, or the snow. I've gotten great performance, reliability, and production out of my machine and i'm sure many folks get what they consider the same out of the brand they they bought. I'm looking forward to see what you can share with us on these forums. i'm sure you have lots of experience and input.
OK, wow, well yes, this is a bobcat forum. Well... I own a bobcat T180 and also a CAT 257B and want to fit a A/C kit to both. I found an original bobcat cab kit enclosure easy enough on ebay. and will get the A/C kit and enclosure installed next week. I now know to asvoid the after market plastic enclosures, they do not compare with the original and are not that much cheaper. I ordered both kit from Caterpillar a month ago and they are still somwhere unkown. Hopefully soon. To answer my own question, both brand provide kits, it's just a matter of finding a dealer that is reliable. As for the economics of it and for the "you are better off buying one with AC already installed" I beg to differ. When buiying a second hand machine, the choices are limited and the work involved in choosing the right model, low hours, light worked, non rental is hard enough to limit it even further with more requirements like A/C. All in all the cab and A/C kit are around $4000 Australian and installation around $1000. Had I found a good deal with A/C I would of course taken it. As it is I got a realy good deal without A/C. Now even adding the cost of new cab enclosure and A/C it is still a very good deal and I have new door and window and A/C. Now where do I install the radio? Yes I know I would have been better off buying one with radio.....only kidding. Lighten up folks, life is short and bobcats are fun. By the by, what do you know about tracks? Which tracks brand are good or bad? There is a wild difference in prices. I can buy tracks forthe T180 for $700 or $1800 ...(?)

Tazza

Staff member
OK, wow, well yes, this is a bobcat forum. Well... I own a bobcat T180 and also a CAT 257B and want to fit a A/C kit to both. I found an original bobcat cab kit enclosure easy enough on ebay. and will get the A/C kit and enclosure installed next week. I now know to asvoid the after market plastic enclosures, they do not compare with the original and are not that much cheaper. I ordered both kit from Caterpillar a month ago and they are still somwhere unkown. Hopefully soon. To answer my own question, both brand provide kits, it's just a matter of finding a dealer that is reliable. As for the economics of it and for the "you are better off buying one with AC already installed" I beg to differ. When buiying a second hand machine, the choices are limited and the work involved in choosing the right model, low hours, light worked, non rental is hard enough to limit it even further with more requirements like A/C. All in all the cab and A/C kit are around $4000 Australian and installation around $1000. Had I found a good deal with A/C I would of course taken it. As it is I got a realy good deal without A/C. Now even adding the cost of new cab enclosure and A/C it is still a very good deal and I have new door and window and A/C. Now where do I install the radio? Yes I know I would have been better off buying one with radio.....only kidding. Lighten up folks, life is short and bobcats are fun. By the by, what do you know about tracks? Which tracks brand are good or bad? There is a wild difference in prices. I can buy tracks forthe T180 for $700 or $1800 ...(?)
O_O he is talking AUD? there aren't many of us on the site. I know exactly why you want AC, its warming up a little up here, i HATE Brisbane summer... So humid!
The AC kits, how are they fitted? is it the style that bolts to the top of the ROPS or does it have vents inside the cab?
Also remember the factory option for AC usually had a turbo fitted to compensate for the power loss from the compressor, you will still be able to deal with the loss of power by not pushing it as hard.
Good luck with the kits and staying nice and cool in summer.

siduramaxde

O_O he is talking AUD? there aren't many of us on the site. I know exactly why you want AC, its warming up a little up here, i HATE Brisbane summer... So humid!
The AC kits, how are they fitted? is it the style that bolts to the top of the ROPS or does it have vents inside the cab?
Also remember the factory option for AC usually had a turbo fitted to compensate for the power loss from the compressor, you will still be able to deal with the loss of power by not pushing it as hard.
I have a radio in my T200 and I never listen to it. It is already too loud in the cab. I don't need the speakers blasting in my ears. I use peltor worktunes, look them up on the web. For about $50 USD you can have a pair.

OP
OP
Marc1

Marc1

Ha ha, you got it in one. Can't compare a close cab with an open one. Dust noise, and heat. Installation of the compressor is standard. The kubota engine comes with the pulley on the flywheel already, cover with two slots, the works. No need to modify anything. The evaporator will go under the seat somwhere and all the conduits are also factory standard. Will give you more details when I see it installed. The radio was only a joke, I can imagine it would be as useless as a horn on an aircraft or an ashtray on a motorbike...howver it would prbably be a good sale point when it comes to sale. may be two big subwoofer one each side of the head? Take it easy folks and don't forget to have fun. Marc

OP
OP
Marc1

Marc1

Ha ha, you got it in one. Can't compare a close cab with an open one. Dust noise, and heat. Installation of the compressor is standard. The kubota engine comes with the pulley on the flywheel already, cover with two slots, the works. No need to modify anything. The evaporator will go under the seat somwhere and all the conduits are also factory standard. Will give you more details when I see it installed. The radio was only a joke, I can imagine it would be as useless as a horn on an aircraft or an ashtray on a motorbike...howver it would prbably be a good sale point when it comes to sale. may be two big subwoofer one each side of the head? Take it easy folks and don't forget to have fun. Marc
Well for what it's worth, my Bobcat T180 is now perfectly encolosed with factory door, and windows, That door is a real beauty with its onw lifter, safety switch, lock, windscreen wiper. Aircon is a pleasure, all in all a very good choice. Whoever is still sweaeting or freezing with an open cab, don't. Installation took just over 3 hours for two guys and $1000. Now Its the time for the CAT. My local agent is still scratching his head thinking who could possibley do the job. -"I should ask one of the sparkies" was his last line. God help us! The Bobcat installer said he will do it. Will see.

bobcat_ron

Well for what it's worth, my Bobcat T180 is now perfectly encolosed with factory door, and windows, That door is a real beauty with its onw lifter, safety switch, lock, windscreen wiper. Aircon is a pleasure, all in all a very good choice. Whoever is still sweaeting or freezing with an open cab, don't. Installation took just over 3 hours for two guys and $1000. Now Its the time for the CAT. My local agent is still scratching his head thinking who could possibley do the job. -"I should ask one of the sparkies" was his last line. God help us! The Bobcat installer said he will do it. Will see.
It's still cheaper to buy a unit with A/C, the beauty of Cat's system is that they use an electric motor to power the A/C compressor pump, it's in the belly pan of the machine and the cooling rad is cooled by 2 small electric fans, nothing but electrical energy is needed from the engine, I like that, a true remote set up.
If you can do all the work your self, go for it, but it's a lot of work, all that wiring and bolting, it's going to take sometime.

thetool

It's still cheaper to buy a unit with A/C, the beauty of Cat's system is that they use an electric motor to power the A/C compressor pump, it's in the belly pan of the machine and the cooling rad is cooled by 2 small electric fans, nothing but electrical energy is needed from the engine, I like that, a true remote set up.
If you can do all the work your self, go for it, but it's a lot of work, all that wiring and bolting, it's going to take sometime.
Beauty?
Interesting, and good to know, tho, so thanks.
Sounds to me like they had to figure out a way to hang it in limited space, and settled for less-than-ideal.
Do the math. All things being equal, what's more efficient: Burning fuel to drive a flywheel that powers a belt that drives a compressor, or burning fuel to drive a flywheel that powers a belt that drives a generator that generates electricity that powers a motor that drives a compressor?