Adding Chains to Hydra-Mac 12C SAFE?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dozer

I am thinking about adding chains to my SkidSteer VS buying a CTL. My question is since I will have to put 2" spacers on to get the tracks to fit will the tires being 2" further out plus the weight of the tracks damage the drivetrain on my SS? Hydra-Macs are all hydrostatic with no chains so I am curious if this will play a role in its durability with tracks. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated since rebuilding those pumps cost $1500+ and repairing the axles will be just as much I imagine. Dozer

OP
OP
dozer

dozer

Here is a old post for you.
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=12798
I believe the Hydra Mac had a gear reduction between the motor and the wheel as opposed to chain drive/reduction?
Ken
Thanks for the info. I had read that thread I was just curious about the full-hydrostatic thing would affect it. I should have posted later since I did call the hydra-mac dealer and he said it didn't hurt the machine at all as long as you added spacers. But since I sold the Mac it doesn't apply to me any longer DOZER

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for the info. I had read that thread I was just curious about the full-hydrostatic thing would affect it. I should have posted later since I did call the hydra-mac dealer and he said it didn't hurt the machine at all as long as you added spacers. But since I sold the Mac it doesn't apply to me any longer DOZER
Sorry, I mis understood your first post. Adding tracks does increase the operators ability to stress the driveline. My take on it is, if you can get in and around your job site without spinning holes and cutting ruts, and get the job done in less time , the tracks are a asset to your production, saving time spent wearing a tearing the machine.
The other benifit of hydraulic drive is that unlike gear drives it does have some cushion built in and the amount of force available can be adjusted by setting the relief pressures.
Ken