909 Backhoe attachment

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
I just bought a 909 backhoe, does anyone have a user manual for one of these? Just so i know what the levers do and ways i *should* be using it.
It looks like it has very little use, the bucket looks like it has no wear, the paint looks good, just a little fading due to weather.

skidsteer.ca

Tazza
I have a couple sheets of the parts breakdown of the boom. I'll try to find them .
It will have hardened bushing inserts at all the boom pins and self aligning bearing for the swing pivots.
They are known for developing minor cracks on the top side of the main boom, that can easily be reinforced with with 2 ft of 1/8 by 1" flat bar. If yours does not have these cracks or repairs from them it has been used very little.
Cracks from the top down right near where the rod end of the outside boom cylinder is. There is 1/8 thick gussets on top of the boom, on each side that end in this area.
I welded the cracks on mine and extended the gussets up the boom to the pivot between the main and second boom and had no more problems
The levers are straight forward. Short ones are your down riggers and the taller ones are the boom controls. Watch the swing they are quite fast. Same pattern as Deere uses.
ken

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza
I have a couple sheets of the parts breakdown of the boom. I'll try to find them .
It will have hardened bushing inserts at all the boom pins and self aligning bearing for the swing pivots.
They are known for developing minor cracks on the top side of the main boom, that can easily be reinforced with with 2 ft of 1/8 by 1" flat bar. If yours does not have these cracks or repairs from them it has been used very little.
Cracks from the top down right near where the rod end of the outside boom cylinder is. There is 1/8 thick gussets on top of the boom, on each side that end in this area.
I welded the cracks on mine and extended the gussets up the boom to the pivot between the main and second boom and had no more problems
The levers are straight forward. Short ones are your down riggers and the taller ones are the boom controls. Watch the swing they are quite fast. Same pattern as Deere uses.
ken
I hooked it up yesterday to give it a go, its not bad. I still need to adjust the mountings a bit to hook on the chassis for support and swap the fittings as the oil goes in the wrong direction in detent mode. The controls are a touch sticky and one stabilizer leg isn't attached to the ram, it should be an easy fix though. I didn't notice any welds or cracks so i really believe it has done almost no work. The swing is indeed fast! the controls will need a bit of time to get used to but i'm sure that will come in time.
The rams are all dry, no leaks can be seen anywhere. The hoses are a bit cracked from weather damage. I can get hoses made at cost so thats easy to fix.
It came with a 743 i bought at auction on Monday (technically the 743 came with the hoe). I was told the machine was not working and there is a can of aerostart in the cab!. I do have a spare engine i can throw at it. It looks like it will be another project to do up over x-mas.
I need to build another shed! i have no room left to work. I used to have 4 bobcats in my "bob port" but now only 1 fits.

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
I hooked it up yesterday to give it a go, its not bad. I still need to adjust the mountings a bit to hook on the chassis for support and swap the fittings as the oil goes in the wrong direction in detent mode. The controls are a touch sticky and one stabilizer leg isn't attached to the ram, it should be an easy fix though. I didn't notice any welds or cracks so i really believe it has done almost no work. The swing is indeed fast! the controls will need a bit of time to get used to but i'm sure that will come in time.
The rams are all dry, no leaks can be seen anywhere. The hoses are a bit cracked from weather damage. I can get hoses made at cost so thats easy to fix.
It came with a 743 i bought at auction on Monday (technically the 743 came with the hoe). I was told the machine was not working and there is a can of aerostart in the cab!. I do have a spare engine i can throw at it. It looks like it will be another project to do up over x-mas.
I need to build another shed! i have no room left to work. I used to have 4 bobcats in my "bob port" but now only 1 fits.
Ken, i had a closer look on the weekend, it does have 2 small cracks on the support gusset on the top of the boom. I will have to repair these. I also fixed the RH stabilizer leg. For some reason they removed the pin and re-installed it without putting it through the eye of the ram. The leg was just hanging down. I think it was done by an employee that wanted to buy the machine and attachment cheap. This machine and hoe attachment is probably my best buy to date! The machine is desperate for a coat of paint but the engine and hydrostats are excellent. On a 25-30C day the engine starts easily on compression alone. I just wish the engine i fully re-built did that......
The swing is deadly!!! I need to get used to it. I'm considering installing a pair of restrictors to slow things down a tad, just an in-line fitting with a smaller hole drilled to restrict the flow a bit.
None of the rams leak either, i gave it a little bit of a work out and dug a small ditch, it works pretty well. I just need to get used to the controls.