873F control valve rebuild questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I have a Bobcat 873F. Yesterday oil started leaking out of the tilt spool of the control valve on the spring end. I unhooked the linkage and took the 2 allen head screws out of the cap and pulled the spool piece out. The seal is orange in color and was damaged and I'm going to replace it. My question is how do you replace the seal on the other end. It looks to be recessed into the control valve block about 1" back and I don't see how you pull it out because there is a groove it appears to be recessed in so it doesn't appear you can just pull it out. Thanks for any help

OP
OP
A
You need a o-ring pick and then you just get under it and pull it out.
I appreciate the reply, but I don't know if that is gonna work on this valve. The seal is back inside the hole about 1". The hole to the outside of the valve is only a few thousandths bigger than the spoolpiece. I tried to push a new seal back threw the hole before taking the old seal out. You pretty much have to crush the seal in half to start it back and I don't think it will turn sideways into the groove when you push it in. Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Tazza

Staff member
I appreciate the reply, but I don't know if that is gonna work on this valve. The seal is back inside the hole about 1". The hole to the outside of the valve is only a few thousandths bigger than the spoolpiece. I tried to push a new seal back threw the hole before taking the old seal out. You pretty much have to crush the seal in half to start it back and I don't think it will turn sideways into the groove when you push it in. Any more ideas would be appreciated.
The seals are made to bend and flex. 1" in seems a fair way in....
For example, gland nut seals for the rams, you need to smoosh them up pretty good to get them to go into the groove inside the gland nut, don't be afraid to distort them to get them in place. Just make sure they seat the correct way around! Being so small, i know its not easy to do.