863G vs. 863

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

gaziger

Hi, I'm a little confused. I see 863's advertised as having a 74 hp motor and 863G's as having a 50 hp motor. Is that correct? Second question is what is the lift capacity of the 863? I need to offload concrete siding board from a flatbed trailer. Any help would be appreciated. Gaziger in Dallas Gaziger - fast like a gazelle, strong like a tiger, hence a gaziger.

Tazza

Staff member
Well the 863G is rated at 1900 lbs and tips at 3800 lbs. I have always found i can sneak a bit more out of the lift capacity by grabing things and tilting forward taking up the slack then tilting back to lift it. But the machine just will not pick up more than the rated tipping load.
How heavy is the concrete siding board?
On the historical specs on bobcats website they don't seem to list a straight 863. The difference you mention may be because the G is turbo charged which shoud give about 20 more HP out of a 50 HP engine.
Historical specs page:
http://www.bobcat.com/products/historical/lookup.html?machineType=SSL

OP
OP
G

gaziger

Well the 863G is rated at 1900 lbs and tips at 3800 lbs. I have always found i can sneak a bit more out of the lift capacity by grabing things and tilting forward taking up the slack then tilting back to lift it. But the machine just will not pick up more than the rated tipping load.
How heavy is the concrete siding board?
On the historical specs on bobcats website they don't seem to list a straight 863. The difference you mention may be because the G is turbo charged which shoud give about 20 more HP out of a 50 HP engine.
Historical specs page:
http://www.bobcat.com/products/historical/lookup.html?machineType=SSL
Thanks for the link. I have to check with my supplier to determine the weight of the siding. I just didn't want to buy a piece of equipment that was as limited as a forklift, when a B-cat can do so much more.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for the link. I have to check with my supplier to determine the weight of the siding. I just didn't want to buy a piece of equipment that was as limited as a forklift, when a B-cat can do so much more.
That 50 hp must be a typo, the older 853c are rated a 58 and the 863 are at 73hp on bobcats web page. You can lift vary close to the tipping load of 3800 lbs, if you can carry it low to the ground, then moving around can be done quite safely. Backing up, lowering the load, backing up hill, slowing down or stopping going down hill all increase the chance of forward tip over. Do all of them together and you had better stay close to the 1900 lb rated capacity. Any skidsteer has a vary short wheel base, compared to other types oaders, so working on slopes, working with loads near tipping capacity, must be done with more care. But with an operator that knows this and how to go about the work, a skidsteer is one of the most flexible machine ever. Ken

skidsteer.ca

That 50 hp must be a typo, the older 853c are rated a 58 and the 863 are at 73hp on bobcats web page. You can lift vary close to the tipping load of 3800 lbs, if you can carry it low to the ground, then moving around can be done quite safely. Backing up, lowering the load, backing up hill, slowing down or stopping going down hill all increase the chance of forward tip over. Do all of them together and you had better stay close to the 1900 lb rated capacity. Any skidsteer has a vary short wheel base, compared to other types of loaders, so working on slopes, working with loads near tipping capacity, must be done with more care. But with an operator that knows this and how to go about the work, a skidsteer is one of the most flexible machine ever. Ken

siduramaxde

That 50 hp must be a typo, the older 853c are rated a 58 and the 863 are at 73hp on bobcats web page. You can lift vary close to the tipping load of 3800 lbs, if you can carry it low to the ground, then moving around can be done quite safely. Backing up, lowering the load, backing up hill, slowing down or stopping going down hill all increase the chance of forward tip over. Do all of them together and you had better stay close to the 1900 lb rated capacity. Any skidsteer has a vary short wheel base, compared to other types of loaders, so working on slopes, working with loads near tipping capacity, must be done with more care. But with an operator that knows this and how to go about the work, a skidsteer is one of the most flexible machine ever. Ken
I had an 863 that had a counter weight on the inside of the back door. It supposedly raised the roc from 1900#s to 2000#s. I always thought the 863 was a good machine but the lifting capacity was not too good. I now have T200 (same as 863 but with tracks) and it's lifting capacity is great compared to a 863. I went from a 72" bucket on the 863, which was very tippy when full of lime, to a 80" bucket on the T200 and it doesn't feel the least bit tippy when full of lime.

skidsteer.ca

I had an 863 that had a counter weight on the inside of the back door. It supposedly raised the roc from 1900#s to 2000#s. I always thought the 863 was a good machine but the lifting capacity was not too good. I now have T200 (same as 863 but with tracks) and it's lifting capacity is great compared to a 863. I went from a 72" bucket on the 863, which was very tippy when full of lime, to a 80" bucket on the T200 and it doesn't feel the least bit tippy when full of lime.
Track loaders ROC is only 35% (if I remember correctly) of tipping capacity, instead of 50% for a skidsteer, So trac vs skidsteer with the same roc, the trac loader should feel more stable.

Tigerotor77W

A few comments. skidsteer.ca is correct in that the 863G's 50HP rating is a typo. The 863, since its inception, has had at least 73 horsepower.

The 863 has, as Tazza mentioned, 1,900 pounds of lift capacity. BEWARE: this is with a standard bucket. When you use pallet forks, especially on the 863, you will lose quite a bit of capacity. I would think that the biggest load you could unload at truck-bed height with an 863 (no counterweights and with pallet forks) would be around 2,000 pounds (safely). An 863 with a full bucket at carry position is already pretty tipsy, so I'm worried the 2,000 pound figure is too high.

Stone Hands

A few comments. skidsteer.ca is correct in that the 863G's 50HP rating is a typo. The 863, since its inception, has had at least 73 horsepower.

The 863 has, as Tazza mentioned, 1,900 pounds of lift capacity. BEWARE: this is with a standard bucket. When you use pallet forks, especially on the 863, you will lose quite a bit of capacity. I would think that the biggest load you could unload at truck-bed height with an 863 (no counterweights and with pallet forks) would be around 2,000 pounds (safely). An 863 with a full bucket at carry position is already pretty tipsy, so I'm worried the 2,000 pound figure is too high.
To all. I agre with Tazza. I have a 863 turbo series F and I found that the tip capacity is very accurate. I am a former Operating Engineer so I am comfortable using the weight of the unit when moving, lifting and pulling. you can accomplish alot but I stay slightly south of the specs for saftey reasons. By the way Tazza,,,, do you know if the F series of 863 touted anything special as compared to the E or G models?

Tazza

Staff member
To all. I agre with Tazza. I have a 863 turbo series F and I found that the tip capacity is very accurate. I am a former Operating Engineer so I am comfortable using the weight of the unit when moving, lifting and pulling. you can accomplish alot but I stay slightly south of the specs for saftey reasons. By the way Tazza,,,, do you know if the F series of 863 touted anything special as compared to the E or G models?
As far as i was aware, the G series just had more embedded computer controlled systems like proportional aux hydraulics, automatic glow plugs etc. Different cab as it has triangular head lights and more of a curved look.
Other than that, its essentially the same i believe.