863 spun bearing?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ncdodgeman20

hey yall iam new to this forum and this is my first post so i just bought a bobcat 863 that i know it didnt run when i bought it for 800 bucks so i have been working on it got it to turn over but i think it has spun a bearing cause the guy i got it from said it was ran out of oil then shut off and when i turn it over the motor sounds like crap.iam a mechanically inclined person iam thinking bout rebuilding the motor myself either buying a overhaul kit or short block but what i want to know is were would be a good place to get parts and prices and if anyone has rebuilt one of these motor any insight would be great!!thanks for yalls help mike..

Tazza

Staff member
Parts for these engines are expensive. The only way to tell for sure if its a bearing is to pull the sump and check them.
If it was run dry, its very possible a bearing has spun, but you need to check them all to know if its just one or not.
Why did it run out of oil? leady oil cooler? they hold a fair amount of oil, something would have had to have gone really wrong to run dry.

Tazza

Staff member
Parts for these engines are expensive. The only way to tell for sure if its a bearing is to pull the sump and check them.
If it was run dry, its very possible a bearing has spun, but you need to check them all to know if its just one or not.
Why did it run out of oil? leady oil cooler? they hold a fair amount of oil, something would have had to have gone really wrong to run dry.
I'm assuming this is an oil cooled Deutz

OP
OP
N

ncdodgeman20

I'm assuming this is an oil cooled Deutz
yes it is the oiled cooled deutz motor and the guy i bought the bobcat from i have known for a few years and i know the bobcat has had a lot of oil leaks that he never fixed and he would just hope in it go to work and never check the oil level other then once a week thnks for ur help i will pull the motor andthen the oil pan to have a look thanks tazza also could u point to a website for parts for this motor?

skidsteer.ca

yes it is the oiled cooled deutz motor and the guy i bought the bobcat from i have known for a few years and i know the bobcat has had a lot of oil leaks that he never fixed and he would just hope in it go to work and never check the oil level other then once a week thnks for ur help i will pull the motor andthen the oil pan to have a look thanks tazza also could u point to a website for parts for this motor?
Did you drain the oil and remove the hose. If a bearing spun there should be bearing material everywhere. Did you cut open the filter?
These motors will only run for 3 seconds without the sensor seeing oil pressure.
What happened theat the owner finally quit using it. Or did he run it low multiple times. I don't think just once would kill it, but thats only my guess.
Skidsteer.ca

OP
OP
N

ncdodgeman20

Did you drain the oil and remove the hose. If a bearing spun there should be bearing material everywhere. Did you cut open the filter?
These motors will only run for 3 seconds without the sensor seeing oil pressure.
What happened theat the owner finally quit using it. Or did he run it low multiple times. I don't think just once would kill it, but thats only my guess.
Skidsteer.ca
the owner i got it from has let me use it in the pass and i know it had a major oil leak cuase i would have to put all most half a gallon of oil in it the next day before i would use it again and i told the owner that its needs to be fixed fast but he dindt listen and he is one of those guys that dont check the machine over before he starts it he just hops in and goes to work so i know he has ran it very low in the past and then i guess this last time it was bout out of oil and just quite then he called me asking if i wanted to buy it from him really cheap and i did cut the oil filter open and found serval big flat chucks of metal in the filter

wd2011

the owner i got it from has let me use it in the pass and i know it had a major oil leak cuase i would have to put all most half a gallon of oil in it the next day before i would use it again and i told the owner that its needs to be fixed fast but he dindt listen and he is one of those guys that dont check the machine over before he starts it he just hops in and goes to work so i know he has ran it very low in the past and then i guess this last time it was bout out of oil and just quite then he called me asking if i wanted to buy it from him really cheap and i did cut the oil filter open and found serval big flat chucks of metal in the filter
I have an 873 with the same engine that I just rebuilt. Memoparts is a great place for parts for these engines. Get your model and motor number off the serial tag on the valve cover and give them a call. They have great prices. Go to memoparts.com to get their info. I feel like I am advertising for them as many times as I have mentioned them now, but they have treated me right so I will give them all the shout outs I can.
As for the major oil leak check for a hole in the bottom of the oil pan. It sounds weird I know, but I heard it is common for these engines in these machines and mine had one. It was on the back of the oil pan right on an outside ridge where it turns underneath the pan. I am not sure if friction from the gas tank causes it or what but it was about the size that looked like a 16 penny nail was put through it! I layered JB weld on the inside and outside of the hole to patch it up. Good Luck!

OP
OP
N

ncdodgeman20

I have an 873 with the same engine that I just rebuilt. Memoparts is a great place for parts for these engines. Get your model and motor number off the serial tag on the valve cover and give them a call. They have great prices. Go to memoparts.com to get their info. I feel like I am advertising for them as many times as I have mentioned them now, but they have treated me right so I will give them all the shout outs I can.
As for the major oil leak check for a hole in the bottom of the oil pan. It sounds weird I know, but I heard it is common for these engines in these machines and mine had one. It was on the back of the oil pan right on an outside ridge where it turns underneath the pan. I am not sure if friction from the gas tank causes it or what but it was about the size that looked like a 16 penny nail was put through it! I layered JB weld on the inside and outside of the hole to patch it up. Good Luck!
wd2001 thanks for the info on what site to gets parts and stuff from if u dont mind me asking how much did u have in the build and was it a complete motor rebuild you did? and roughly how long did it take?thanks for the help from u and all the other guys on here this is a great forum thanks guys

wd2011

wd2001 thanks for the info on what site to gets parts and stuff from if u dont mind me asking how much did u have in the build and was it a complete motor rebuild you did? and roughly how long did it take?thanks for the help from u and all the other guys on here this is a great forum thanks guys
Sorry for the delayed response, I was away from a computer for longer than expected for the holidays.
I will be honest I learned a lesson in doing my project. We started this as more of a trial and error repair, when we should have just done a complete motor overhaul from the beginning. Our process took about 3 months to get the engine running, but keep in mind we only worked on the weekends on it. We ended up pulling the engine 3 times, which we have down pat now as we can have the engine pulled in about an hour now. But now that it is running nice strong the only thing that was not done on the engine rebuild was machining the block. We rebuilt the head, rebuilt the turbo, replaced all the gaskets and seals, the lower end was rebuilt with new bearings, new piston rings and crankshaft grinding. I think memo quoted a major engine rebuild kit for about $1600 which I should have done in the beginning, but didn't. If we had done the major overhaul in the beginning even with the weekend only work we probably would have been done with a running engine in 2-3 weeks and saved probably $500 or so in multiple gaskets, shipping, wrong parts, etc. But All in all I believe I have about $2800 in the engine. I would have to break down all my invoices for a definite number as I have done more than just engine work on this machine.
Again good luck, and I'm happy to share my 2 cents when i can.

mrdeere1959

Sorry for the delayed response, I was away from a computer for longer than expected for the holidays.
I will be honest I learned a lesson in doing my project. We started this as more of a trial and error repair, when we should have just done a complete motor overhaul from the beginning. Our process took about 3 months to get the engine running, but keep in mind we only worked on the weekends on it. We ended up pulling the engine 3 times, which we have down pat now as we can have the engine pulled in about an hour now. But now that it is running nice strong the only thing that was not done on the engine rebuild was machining the block. We rebuilt the head, rebuilt the turbo, replaced all the gaskets and seals, the lower end was rebuilt with new bearings, new piston rings and crankshaft grinding. I think memo quoted a major engine rebuild kit for about $1600 which I should have done in the beginning, but didn't. If we had done the major overhaul in the beginning even with the weekend only work we probably would have been done with a running engine in 2-3 weeks and saved probably $500 or so in multiple gaskets, shipping, wrong parts, etc. But All in all I believe I have about $2800 in the engine. I would have to break down all my invoices for a definite number as I have done more than just engine work on this machine.
Again good luck, and I'm happy to share my 2 cents when i can.
replacement engine from bobcat is $8000.00. there are also reman places too