853H hydraulic fluid refill

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Kgoedeke

Hi, just bought my first machine and after a couple hours of use had a major leak and ended up replacing 3 tubes. I refilled the hydraulic fluid tank to the dip stick range- added about 5 gallons. Started up and ran but after a few minutes the hydraulics started acting funny. I checked the dipstick again and it was below the line. I've added another 3 gallons to the hydraulic tank and am still not touching the dipstick. Started it up and lifted the seat, there are no visual leaks or new puddles. I'm assuming when I started the machine most of the fluid refilled the hydraulic system but wanted to make sure this is normal. Other than a mower this is My first machine so I'm pretty "green". Thanks

flyerdan

If you're losing fluid and it's not going onto the ground, chances are that it's going into the chaincase from a leaking drive motor.

flyerdan

Thanks. If that's the case how much am I looking at in repair/replacement costs?
Not knowing your mechanical skills, and what you might find, it's difficult to guess at cost.
Before assuming the worst, the best thing to do would be to top it off again (It could have been a couple quarts shy of the stick, you have no way of knowing) and cycle everything to work the air out. If after a couple of purge sessions, the level still isn't coming up, then it's time to check the chaincase.
There are a couple of books for the 853 in the manual thread, maybe a letter or two behind what you have, but the mechanics haven't changed. They outline how to check the level, and are a good resource to have anyway.

OP
OP
K

Kgoedeke

Not knowing your mechanical skills, and what you might find, it's difficult to guess at cost.
Before assuming the worst, the best thing to do would be to top it off again (It could have been a couple quarts shy of the stick, you have no way of knowing) and cycle everything to work the air out. If after a couple of purge sessions, the level still isn't coming up, then it's time to check the chaincase.
There are a couple of books for the 853 in the manual thread, maybe a letter or two behind what you have, but the mechanics haven't changed. They outline how to check the level, and are a good resource to have anyway.
Thank you!