853h fuel problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bigmike

just put new engine in 853 and i am having fuel probolem machine is bogging down i looked today and noticed primer bulb was collasped. dealer said fuel pickup in tank is clogged i can not get it out . any one have any ideas. i thought of blowing air threw line to clean out also is their any thing you can put in fuel to clean tank to stop this from happing again.

ajwgator

Since I have read a couple of posts with this same problem of getting a fuel pickup out of the tank, this is just a thought that might help out. Instead of pulling the line out you might open up the top of the tank by pulling the fuel sending unit plate off. Then take a coat hanger or stiff wire to reach down in the tank and hook it around the pickup hose to pull it up to you through the sending unit hole. I've never tried it but if the pick up tube is flexible it should work. Then you could clean the strainer that is attached to the end of it.
Let us know if you have any luck.

ajwgator

Since I have read a couple of posts with this same problem of getting a fuel pickup out of the tank, this is just a thought that might help out. Instead of pulling the line out you might open up the top of the tank by pulling the fuel sending unit plate off. Then take a coat hanger or stiff wire to reach down in the tank and hook it around the pickup hose to pull it up to you through the sending unit hole. I've never tried it but if the pick up tube is flexible it should work. Then you could clean the strainer that is attached to the end of it.
Let us know if you have any luck.
Just wanted you to know that I pulled the fuel sending unit out of my 843 today to fix the float that had come off the sending unit. While I was in there I tried out the proceedure that I described in the above post. The pick up tube is in fact a flexible hose and you can pull it up through the sending unit hole. The strainer can be cleaned and you should be good to go. Depending on what you find on the end of your strainer, you might also want to clean the tank out by sucking out the fuel with a hand pump of some type.

Blaine

Just wanted you to know that I pulled the fuel sending unit out of my 843 today to fix the float that had come off the sending unit. While I was in there I tried out the proceedure that I described in the above post. The pick up tube is in fact a flexible hose and you can pull it up through the sending unit hole. The strainer can be cleaned and you should be good to go. Depending on what you find on the end of your strainer, you might also want to clean the tank out by sucking out the fuel with a hand pump of some type.
Some skid steers have fuel drains at the bottom of the tank. It may be worth draining the tank, washing it out with some good fuel, and then filling back up. I wouldn't blow it out with air because then all of that garbage is just floating around in the bottom and will clog it up again.

Tazza

Staff member
Some skid steers have fuel drains at the bottom of the tank. It may be worth draining the tank, washing it out with some good fuel, and then filling back up. I wouldn't blow it out with air because then all of that garbage is just floating around in the bottom and will clog it up again.
Where possible, remove the tank and wash it out properly. Mine had a heap of black crud on the botton. I gave it a good squirt with de-greaser then used the pressure washer to get it all out, it worked great. I just left it upside down for a few days to dry. I agree that if you have any blockages on the strainer you MUST clean your tank out or you will be spending your life cleaning the strainer.