853 water leak ..... need help where to start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

agtonut69

my 853 has a major water leak , after this winter i put the loader in my garage to do the oil change, filters ect. after checking all the fluids i discovered the radiator being low on fluid. I added a gallon and then another , this is not common for my machine , needless to say the water ended up directly in my oil pan almost as fast as i put it in. I sure that this is not good, now im wondering if its a head gasket , cracked block/cracked head or a cyl. sleeve. not sure how to approach the problem , should i pull the engine just to make it easier to work on ? any help would be great. and how much of a pain is it to pull the engine? does the operator cab have to come off? the machine has 3700 hrs

Tazza

Staff member
The engine is fairly easy to pull. It really could be a few things... I would seriously doubt its a head gasket allowing that much water to run out. It could be a welch plug in the head though that is used to seal the water jacket. Then as you said, cylinder liner.
Before you pull the engine, remove the rocker cover and ensure the plugs are intact. I don't know a whole lot about the engines they run, it could be a hole in the front housing where the water pump runs too.
Start by inspecting the plugs in the head with the rocker cover off, you don't need to pull the engine to do that.

skidsteer.ca

The engine is fairly easy to pull. It really could be a few things... I would seriously doubt its a head gasket allowing that much water to run out. It could be a welch plug in the head though that is used to seal the water jacket. Then as you said, cylinder liner.
Before you pull the engine, remove the rocker cover and ensure the plugs are intact. I don't know a whole lot about the engines they run, it could be a hole in the front housing where the water pump runs too.
Start by inspecting the plugs in the head with the rocker cover off, you don't need to pull the engine to do that.
I'd contact Isuzu and ask if this problem has a common failure point on this model engine.
Also you can pressure test your water jacket to help find leaks, (though internal ones may be tough to spot. The water is not getting into the combustion chamber and piston though? Engine runs fine without steam?
Ken