853 project #2

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
3,853
Well finally its done. (except ordering the back and top window from the glass shop)
Put about 8 hours on it this week and think I have everything in order.
This has the non spring loaded tensioner on the main drive belt, so the new belt has needed re tensioned a couple times, and I still have to adjust the steering a little (r side is faster then left in forward, and the oposite in reverse)
I'm getting use to the steering as it seem to have a slight lag compared to the others I have run. You push the stick and it starts to move then in half a second or so it “takes off” with the real speed and power for the position of the stick, makes it easy to push the stick further then you meant to. Levers have a real lite feel to them compared to the 700's or 500's I'm used to.
That said though it is a lifting animal and the gear reduction makes spinning the tires easy when loading gravel, the motor barely breaks a sweat.
Happy 4th to our southern neighbours. Were on our way to enjoy the fire works there tonight.
Ken
IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG
 

siduramaxde

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
362
Looks great!!!! If you don't mind me asking...how much $$$ do you have involved in this project???
Looks as if you may be getting some good use from your machine doing the dirt work around the new construction I can see in the background of you pics. Keep us informed of how the machine is performing.
Rod
 

Tazza

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
16,697
Looks great!!!! If you don't mind me asking...how much $$$ do you have involved in this project???
Looks as if you may be getting some good use from your machine doing the dirt work around the new construction I can see in the background of you pics. Keep us informed of how the machine is performing.
Rod
Nice work Ken.
I should have gotten you to do mine for me :) i have been working on mine for about 6 months, its almost there. I just need a volt meter a few springs for the bobtach a bolt and decals. I then need to do a little work on the bucket then i will be all finished!.
I too am interested in ust how much $$$ you have sunk into it. I know you can't really work it out with all the time you have spent.... I would hate to think of how many hours i have spent on mine.... All up my 743 cost me around the $9,000 mark ($2,500 of that was just the engine). That includes buying the machine for $4,000 plus ooh so many hours of work....
 

skidsteer.ca

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
3,853
Nice work Ken.
I should have gotten you to do mine for me :) i have been working on mine for about 6 months, its almost there. I just need a volt meter a few springs for the bobtach a bolt and decals. I then need to do a little work on the bucket then i will be all finished!.
I too am interested in ust how much $$$ you have sunk into it. I know you can't really work it out with all the time you have spent.... I would hate to think of how many hours i have spent on mine.... All up my 743 cost me around the $9,000 mark ($2,500 of that was just the engine). That includes buying the machine for $4,000 plus ooh so many hours of work....
I really need to add it all up still, I'll let yous know when I do.
This damn house project is really eating my free time right now.
Ken
 

skidsteer.ca

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
3,853
I really need to add it all up still, I'll let yous know when I do.
This damn house project is really eating my free time right now.
Ken
Well it ads up to this.
Used 96 853 2200 hrs 9800 us including freight or 11000 cdn
Primer paint 75.00 cdn
Sand for blasting 200.00
Bobcat paint, decals, valve spool seals, main drive belt (55usd) , muffler(155 usd) see aftermarket available on ebay for 65.00, (waterpump 180 usd from isuzu), thermostat, gasket, steering lever shocks, foot pedals linkage bushings. seat bar pivots and bushings, misc small stuff 1000.00 us 1125.00 cdn
Labour 160 hired help, 2400.00
dissasemble,drill out rusted, twisted off bolts, sandblast, straighten cab and repair rust, clean parts, change all fluids and filters, reassemble and adjust.
labour personal 40 plus hours 800.00
machine new bosses for bobtach, weld in , install bushings and pins. Project planning and material gathering, misc assembly and testing.
Est @ 15600.00 if you count all the labour. Because I may resell I'm including labor. I had intended to do more myself to but got busy with the house thing and turned alot over to my hire man. Mechanically this machine was good other then the bobtach pins. But rust wise it was bellow average for its year. We ended up spending quite a bit of time removing twisted off bolts to get interior panels and cab items apart. And @ 3 days to sandblast it all. The panel behind operators feet and under the seat were rusted through.
There was a couple spots in the engine bay where there was surface rust that we just cleaned and oiled, because proper painting would have meant pulling the engine too. But it plenty good the way it is for my intentions. If you wanted it new you could double the labor figure. I just want it to be reliable and not look like a piece of junk.
Had the paint been average or better I would have likely skipped that step to help keep cost down. Myself I look past the paint to the function, but to rent or resell most people have a hard time seeing past something that looks like junk.
I'll get some rental use out of it this summer and probably put it up for sale in the fall. Hopefully I'll sell a new attachment or two with it. Its not a real get rich quick scheme, but a hobby that makes me a few bucks.
Ken
 
Top