843 door latch

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Heetseeker

Just purchased an 843 and i'm getting things back to working order.. New to the skid steer machines and can't seem to find pictures of what the back door latch system is supposed to look like. I'll fabricate something but don't want to reinvent the wheel if members have a better solution for these older machines. I basically have a bolt and nut holding the door closed and want to change it out to something more secure, with a battery disconnect switch and lock for the door. Any ideas ? Thanks!

HanSolo

You should be able to get inexpensive used parts from sites like Iron Planet, etc. Do a Google search for used heavy equipment parts. I've bought several used parts for my 843 at good prices. Especially the metal parts like your engine door latch. You find a lot of 843s die in engine fires when the battery comes loose, arcs and ignites up all that grease. Those machines still have good parts that haven't melted LOL

tndigger

You should be able to get inexpensive used parts from sites like Iron Planet, etc. Do a Google search for used heavy equipment parts. I've bought several used parts for my 843 at good prices. Especially the metal parts like your engine door latch. You find a lot of 843s die in engine fires when the battery comes loose, arcs and ignites up all that grease. Those machines still have good parts that haven't melted LOL
On my 843 the latch end has a t-bar that goes into the slot and when you turn the handle 90 degrees it holds then you push the latch down to secure. Parts should be easy to find. A battery quick disconnect would be a good idea especially if you mounted it in the cab. I have had my starter solenoid stay engaged several times and its a mad scramble to get out, unlatch the door and unhook a battery cable. It would be handy to be able to charge the battery from the outside. FYI check the condition of all your fuel lines esp the line in the tank.

OP
OP
H

Heetseeker

On my 843 the latch end has a t-bar that goes into the slot and when you turn the handle 90 degrees it holds then you push the latch down to secure. Parts should be easy to find. A battery quick disconnect would be a good idea especially if you mounted it in the cab. I have had my starter solenoid stay engaged several times and its a mad scramble to get out, unlatch the door and unhook a battery cable. It would be handy to be able to charge the battery from the outside. FYI check the condition of all your fuel lines esp the line in the tank.
thanks for the info...i'll look for that door part on iron planet. Good to know about the battery as well. I found a picture of the door latch finally. i'll keep looking for the parts. cheers!