7753 Eating starter relays

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

gjinc

Kinda of a weird problem. it takes the 30 amp auto relay, one for start and the other I believe for the glow plugs.
Turn the key on, wait, then turn the key to start and nothing. Swap out the relay and it will start. It would do this every so often.
I got a good deal on 80amp winch relays with wiring and connector for the heavy relay, I soldered the wires together.
Machine was down a few months for exhaust manifold problem and when I went to start it I had to replace the relay.
1 week later only 1 or 2 starts, I had to replace the relay. It lasted 1 day, I don't know how many times they turned it off and started it.
The relay controls 1 wire going to the starter solenoid, not a big amp draw.
I don't get it. I pulled the cover off a couple of the relays. the coils still work but the contact going to the starter solenoid is destroyed.

Attachments

• 20220715_171547.jpg
    20220715_171547.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220715_171608.jpg
    20220715_171608.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76

foton

the green on the one relay would indicate a water issue ,which would cause the hot side of the relay power to run to ground as long as the battery is connected and pull a lot of amps maybe causing the other damage from the arcing. those parts look real ruff for the use you say they got.

OP
OP
G

gjinc

the green on the one relay would indicate a water issue ,which would cause the hot side of the relay power to run to ground as long as the battery is connected and pull a lot of amps maybe causing the other damage from the arcing. those parts look real ruff for the use you say they got.
Yes the one that sat for a week looked like water got into it. I took care of the water issue, but others that lasted a day or two didn't have time or signs of water. The coils still work. I am thinking I might as well run a new wire from the relay to the starter, can;t hurt anything.
Thanks

OP
OP
G

gjinc

I really didn't see a reason to change the wire. The schematic does not show a diode like the 853 schematic shows.
I threw a condenser on it to see if that changes anything.

jsantos

I would check for a short obviously and run a new wire. Starter could be internally short it also