773 no turning but will move forward?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

marco93l

Just had the motor replaced on a melroe bobcat 773. Drove it around for maybe 2-3 minutes, pulled in back into shop to clean it all up and replace parts and paint. I replaced the seat andhad a problem with the sensor but got it working. I raised the bucket and noticed a hose with a pin hole leak. I hooked it up and now the bobcat move forward and reverse but only " groans" when I try and turn. It isn't the interlock but acts like it just pushing against a wall or something. It will not turn right or left. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!!

OldMachinist

Will it move forward with any real force, with the bucket against a tree will it spin the tires?
You may just need to block it up in the air and cycle the drive system to purge some air.

Bobcatdan

Will it move forward with any real force, with the bucket against a tree will it spin the tires?
You may just need to block it up in the air and cycle the drive system to purge some air.
Cap the drive motor hoses. Run the machine and stroke the pump. Dead heading the system should put enough load to snub the engine. If you can do that, pump good, drive motor bad. Can't put much load on the engine, pump bad. For starters thou, check your drive belt is properly adjusted.

OP
OP
M

marco93l

I'm not to sure. Bobcat is inside the shop so I don't want to push it against anything. I am replacing another hose tomorrow and will give it a try. I replaced the lift arm hoses and they are working fine. That why I was confused why I could still drive it forward and backwards but not be able to turn. I'll lift it up and give it a try Thanks!!

OP
OP
M

marco93l

I'm not to sure. Bobcat is inside the shop so I don't want to push it against anything. I am replacing another hose tomorrow and will give it a try. I replaced the lift arm hoses and they are working fine. That why I was confused why I could still drive it forward and backwards but not be able to turn. I'll lift it up and give it a try Thanks!!
Update: I lifted the bobcat in the air and ran it for a few minutes. It seemed to run fine. I set it on the ground and it did make a big difference, but it still gets loud when it turns. It will turn but you really have to play with the controls to get to at time. What I don't understand just looking at it, is why can I drive it forward and reverse all day long with absolutely no problems. I can raise and lower the arms with no problems either. The drive motors run fluid wise the same pressure as it does when it is forward and reverse, it is just that they are running in opposite directions when turning. So how could the pump be weak if it move straight and reverse while lifting the bucket just fine and normal. Thanks

OldMachinist

Update: I lifted the bobcat in the air and ran it for a few minutes. It seemed to run fine. I set it on the ground and it did make a big difference, but it still gets loud when it turns. It will turn but you really have to play with the controls to get to at time. What I don't understand just looking at it, is why can I drive it forward and reverse all day long with absolutely no problems. I can raise and lower the arms with no problems either. The drive motors run fluid wise the same pressure as it does when it is forward and reverse, it is just that they are running in opposite directions when turning. So how could the pump be weak if it move straight and reverse while lifting the bucket just fine and normal. Thanks
Case drain filters might be clogged, when's the last time they were cleaned or replaced?

OldMachinist

Case drain filters might be clogged, when's the last time they were cleaned or replaced?
 photo CaseDrainFilters_zpsqy2iumzt.jpg

OldMachinist

Case drain filter? Are you referring to the hydraulic or hydrostatic filter? If you are, I did replace them.
See the page from the service manual I posted above. There are sintered bronze filters in the metal canisters they are pointing to. If they get clogged the hydrostatic system will make noise and it will be hard to make turns.

Bobcatdan

See the page from the service manual I posted above. There are sintered bronze filters in the metal canisters they are pointing to. If they get clogged the hydrostatic system will make noise and it will be hard to make turns.
Case drains won't cause a problem. Extremely low pressure drain off circuit. I'd start simple and insure the drive belt is tight.

OP
OP
M

marco93l

Case drains won't cause a problem. Extremely low pressure drain off circuit. I'd start simple and insure the drive belt is tight.
Well, I changed the filter and move it back outside on some gravel. I noticed that when I move the sticks (one forward and one back) that most of the time, only the side that I am moving forward will move forward. The opposite side that I am pulling back with the lever, isn't moving at all. It is mostly trying to drag that side. When the sticks/handles are in the same direction, the bobocat moves fine (forward and reverse) It is just when they are working againist each other when turning. Thanks