763 Blower Housing / gearbox removal.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dirtyb115

HI all, well, getting ready to replace the fan gearbox. Is there anyone here that has done this? Im not even sure where i start, rear of machine or lift the cab? Man, wish that manual would get here soon..... thanks!

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

Never mind, sometimes just looking will tell you many things lol. Okay, so comes out from the front. Hope i dont have to remove the hydraulic tank, cant tell yet.

thetool

Never mind, sometimes just looking will tell you many things lol. Okay, so comes out from the front. Hope i dont have to remove the hydraulic tank, cant tell yet.
I believe you do have to remove the tank.
You have to loosen and tip, if not fullly remove, the entire blower housing. There are four long 3/8" bolts that go through long spacers, they bolt almost straight up.
This releases the plate with the gearbox and fan. The fan is on a tapered, keyed shaft with a nut on top. If your build was kind, there are two 1/4" threaded holes in the fan hub and you can use a steering wheel puller to remove the fan. If you don't have the holes, I used two equal size tapered slipper bars, one on each side, driven in sideways between the hub and plate, and alternately tapped with a hammer until the fan popped off. Sometimes it broke, but the replacement fan has the holes for a puller.
Then the gearbox is unbolted from the plate. The cheesey stamped pulley is easy to damage so be careful when removing that. That's a straight keyed shaft with socket setscrews, but it likes to sieze on the shaft.
Reverse for install, but the long bolts with spacers are a special treat---two spacers go inside the housing. There are pockets for them--it should go well if your blower housing is not all distorted from heat, and sometimes the holes are hard to find--sounds like my life=).
Good luck with this.

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

I believe you do have to remove the tank.
You have to loosen and tip, if not fullly remove, the entire blower housing. There are four long 3/8" bolts that go through long spacers, they bolt almost straight up.
This releases the plate with the gearbox and fan. The fan is on a tapered, keyed shaft with a nut on top. If your build was kind, there are two 1/4" threaded holes in the fan hub and you can use a steering wheel puller to remove the fan. If you don't have the holes, I used two equal size tapered slipper bars, one on each side, driven in sideways between the hub and plate, and alternately tapped with a hammer until the fan popped off. Sometimes it broke, but the replacement fan has the holes for a puller.
Then the gearbox is unbolted from the plate. The cheesey stamped pulley is easy to damage so be careful when removing that. That's a straight keyed shaft with socket setscrews, but it likes to sieze on the shaft.
Reverse for install, but the long bolts with spacers are a special treat---two spacers go inside the housing. There are pockets for them--it should go well if your blower housing is not all distorted from heat, and sometimes the holes are hard to find--sounds like my life=).
Good luck with this.
man on man, you were not kidding, these spacers are gonna be a pain in the A%&. i got it out with just unbolting the tank and moving it foward a bit, but it may be easier to take it all the way off to get this thing back in. Didnt get a chance to get the old fan off, hopefully i can finish everything up tommorow assuming i dont break the fan.....

Tazza

Staff member
man on man, you were not kidding, these spacers are gonna be a pain in the A%&. i got it out with just unbolting the tank and moving it foward a bit, but it may be easier to take it all the way off to get this thing back in. Didnt get a chance to get the old fan off, hopefully i can finish everything up tommorow assuming i dont break the fan.....
My 751 manual advises you to use a small amount of silicone sealant on the spacers, this will assist in holding them in place whille you position it.

Fishfiles

A few pointers which may help , behind and outside the cab are some plastic bumpers that the cab hits on when in the up position , take them off , it will make it easier to get the cab shocks on and off , drain the hydraulic tank , after you raise and block the boom by hooking an attachment hose with coupler to aux , hold the end of the hose in a five gallon can and pump the oil out the machine till air shows up in the flow and kill the engine , there are some installation keepers from the factory that maybe rusted away or not reinstalled if job wa done before , you could make something I am sure , they are thin flat washers that grab the threads of the bolts and hold it all together during installation , clean the exposed section of blower pulley shaft that extends out the pulley hub with emery paper before you try and get it off , if ou have a pressure washer while the blower housing is out is a good time to clean out the radiator , don't tighten up the set screw on the pulley till it is installed and alignment with the othr two pulleys can be seen , it don't always go back in the same spot for a couple or reasons , chck the oil after it is installed on machine -----------good luck

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

A few pointers which may help , behind and outside the cab are some plastic bumpers that the cab hits on when in the up position , take them off , it will make it easier to get the cab shocks on and off , drain the hydraulic tank , after you raise and block the boom by hooking an attachment hose with coupler to aux , hold the end of the hose in a five gallon can and pump the oil out the machine till air shows up in the flow and kill the engine , there are some installation keepers from the factory that maybe rusted away or not reinstalled if job wa done before , you could make something I am sure , they are thin flat washers that grab the threads of the bolts and hold it all together during installation , clean the exposed section of blower pulley shaft that extends out the pulley hub with emery paper before you try and get it off , if ou have a pressure washer while the blower housing is out is a good time to clean out the radiator , don't tighten up the set screw on the pulley till it is installed and alignment with the othr two pulleys can be seen , it don't always go back in the same spot for a couple or reasons , chck the oil after it is installed on machine -----------good luck
DARN!!!, i just finished, that info would have been great to have before i started lol. Thanks for all the tips and poiners guys. i think it would have been 5 times easier if i would have followed everything you said fishfiles. At any rate, its all in, so hopefully it will be running today or tommorow. This site is great, thanks again everyone

Latest posts