753 fuel gauge stuck

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jinxie

Hi Ive noticed my 94 753 fuel gauge has been stuck at 4 bars on the gauge. I put in 5 gals of fuel and it never moved. Any idea what I should start looking for? Ive ran out of fuel once already. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I'd start with your fuel sender, the only problem is i believe the engine needs pulling to access it.....

Fishfiles

You can get to the fuel sender and get it out if needed , it is harder to do on some serial numbers , take the wire off the sender , if it is very hard to got off as the plug hits the bottom of the tranny the put a bar under the pump and lift it up and take plug off , come back at a later time to fix the motor mounts which lets the pump drop down , and may be the problem as it rubs the wiring and messes up the plug which Bobcat is proud of at 22.oo dollars with out the wire or terminal ends , once you got the plug off , obsereve what the gauge is showing it should start beeping low fuel and no bars , then put a jumper wire in the end of the plug and it should show full , you should now be able to figure out if it's wiring or sender

OP
OP
J

jinxie

You can get to the fuel sender and get it out if needed , it is harder to do on some serial numbers , take the wire off the sender , if it is very hard to got off as the plug hits the bottom of the tranny the put a bar under the pump and lift it up and take plug off , come back at a later time to fix the motor mounts which lets the pump drop down , and may be the problem as it rubs the wiring and messes up the plug which Bobcat is proud of at 22.oo dollars with out the wire or terminal ends , once you got the plug off , obsereve what the gauge is showing it should start beeping low fuel and no bars , then put a jumper wire in the end of the plug and it should show full , you should now be able to figure out if it's wiring or sender
Thanx for the reply. Where do I access this plug? Fromt the back? Under the cab or? I looked for the tank and couldnt even find that!!!

Tazza

Staff member
Thanx for the reply. Where do I access this plug? Fromt the back? Under the cab or? I looked for the tank and couldnt even find that!!!
Lift the cab, its under the engine, there should be 2 wires going into the tank. Not sure just how easy it is to get to the plug though.....

skidsteer.ca

Lift the cab, its under the engine, there should be 2 wires going into the tank. Not sure just how easy it is to get to the plug though.....
Under the cab, its not too bad to get at. On the rh front of the tank if memory serves, but do remove the wire and see if gounding the end of it has any effect. When my sender went the guage read F the E a second later, all over the place. Sounds like you may have a bear wire shorted to the frame as the reading is constant.
Ken

cmb97

Under the cab, its not too bad to get at. On the rh front of the tank if memory serves, but do remove the wire and see if gounding the end of it has any effect. When my sender went the guage read F the E a second later, all over the place. Sounds like you may have a bear wire shorted to the frame as the reading is constant.
Ken
My gauge will show full when filled and about half an hour of use it is on empty does this everytime. Replaced guage cause the other needle was broke wondering if it would be a short or a sending unit not working

Tazza

Staff member
My gauge will show full when filled and about half an hour of use it is on empty does this everytime. Replaced guage cause the other needle was broke wondering if it would be a short or a sending unit not working
It could indeed be the sender. It could have worn through the wire that it uses to work out fuel level.

skidsteer.ca

cmb97 thats exacly what my 753 did when the sender went south.
Ken

skidsteer.ca

got it installed today and it works thanks for the help
Good to hear she's fixed. Now I need some tips on a 853 fuel sender, its under the hydro pump and takes about a 1 3/8 socket. Might indeed need to remove the engine on that one.
Ken

OP
OP
J

jinxie

I got mine off with channel lock pliers
Ok, so I ran out of fuel again. I pulled the level sender out and got a price of $84 Cdn. from Bobcat. I guess Im gonna buy it.....wasnt as hard to remove as I was planning.

Tazza

Staff member
Ok, so I ran out of fuel again. I pulled the level sender out and got a price of $84 Cdn. from Bobcat. I guess Im gonna buy it.....wasnt as hard to remove as I was planning.
Glad you didn't have any problems removing it, i know the later revisions of the fuel tanks actually have the sender in a position that you can actually access it easier.

OP
OP
J

jinxie

Glad you didn't have any problems removing it, i know the later revisions of the fuel tanks actually have the sender in a position that you can actually access it easier.
I went to install my new $80 sender today and broke it! Im not having any luck. I guess the angle I was trying to install it under the pump put too much pressure on the float and disinegrated it! How the heck do you get it installed with the pump in the way? I wont try again until I can figure this out. Are there ant cheaper aftermarket senders? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I went to install my new $80 sender today and broke it! Im not having any luck. I guess the angle I was trying to install it under the pump put too much pressure on the float and disinegrated it! How the heck do you get it installed with the pump in the way? I wont try again until I can figure this out. Are there ant cheaper aftermarket senders? Thanks
Ouch!!!
Can you gain access from the engine bay side? to get the angle rite.
I know on my 751 that runs a pug engine you can gain access from behind the motor, tight fit but you can get there. Removing the air filter sure does help though. Not sure what its like with a Kubota as the engine drive and pump is on the other side.

OP
OP
J

jinxie

Ouch!!!
Can you gain access from the engine bay side? to get the angle rite.
I know on my 751 that runs a pug engine you can gain access from behind the motor, tight fit but you can get there. Removing the air filter sure does help though. Not sure what its like with a Kubota as the engine drive and pump is on the other side.
I just thought I would follow up on this.... I finally got my sender in my tank. I bought a generic fuel level gauge at a farm supply store and used the float from that. (I broke my last float trying to get it back in the tank!!) It was nearly the identical size. Cost me $9. I had to enlarge the center hole a bit to fit over the bobcat's sender shaft. I loosened up both upper mounts under the cab and wedged the motor/pump up as far as i could. I had to grind one side of the hex of the plastic sensor nut down to clear the side of the pump. I also had to pry the top of the plastic fuel tank down so it would angle. When I had all that, it just fell in. Not sure if I will ever get it out! Hooked it up and it seems to be reading right. Just a poor sender design in a horrible location. There were better options when they were manufacturing. Hopefully theyre not like that anymore!!