753 Clicking noise?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Dee Dee

Greetings! I just bought a older 753. It has 4,2xx hours on it and appears to be in good condition. The chaincase was about 1/4 full of milk. I drained it and washed it out as good as I could with clean diesel. refilled it with AW32. It seemed to run really well. Nice and quiet with the fresh oil in it. The axle seals are all leaking. Today, I had to run down about 1/2 mile of asphalt. I noticed that when I was traveling down the road going full stick, I hear a random clicking noise seeming to come from the right front chaincase area. It quietened down if I eased off full speed just a little. Also, it wanted to slowly veer off to port if I kept it running full speed. I bought a DVD shop manual and paper operations manual for it when I bought the machine. I can not find anything in there about adjusting the drive chains or anything about how to tell if the chains are wore out. I have about 2 more days of work for it before the mud season puts all dirt work to a halt for 3 months. I really need to run the machine for 2 more days then I can tear it down and give it whatever it needs in order to keep it in good order. My $64 question is: Can I keep running it for 20 more hours without costing a fortune in parts And, how can I figger out what is wrong with it? There is a huge amount of knowledge and experience in here and I do appreciate any and all ideas as to what I should do to repair or run this machine. Thank you all in advance :)

Tazza

Staff member
It's possible that the chain is stretched and the noise is chain slap. The chain could have a bad spot or the sprocket could too.
With the wheels up in the air, see if they rotate the same amount by hand, also check for end float of the hub, grab the tyre and pull out out and push it in, see if there is any movement. Ideally you should use a dial gauge and put it between the fram and hub to check. There should be no end float.

OP
OP
D

Dee Dee

It's possible that the chain is stretched and the noise is chain slap. The chain could have a bad spot or the sprocket could too.
With the wheels up in the air, see if they rotate the same amount by hand, also check for end float of the hub, grab the tyre and pull out out and push it in, see if there is any movement. Ideally you should use a dial gauge and put it between the fram and hub to check. There should be no end float.
Thank you Tazza. I think you are right on the money :) There seems to be the same about of radial play on both sides of the front wheels. There seems to be a guesstamated .010 to .020 end play in both front axles. Giving the money situation and the beginning of mud season, I think I am gonna try to just keep the chain case full of AW-32 until I can afford the parts. Unless someone else has a better idea? Thank you very much for your time.

Tazza

Staff member
Thank you Tazza. I think you are right on the money :) There seems to be the same about of radial play on both sides of the front wheels. There seems to be a guesstamated .010 to .020 end play in both front axles. Giving the money situation and the beginning of mud season, I think I am gonna try to just keep the chain case full of AW-32 until I can afford the parts. Unless someone else has a better idea? Thank you very much for your time.
If you have a metal lathe, you can take that play out. You have a washer that sits on the end of the axle. After measuring the float, I put the washer in the chuck then zero. Cut the required amount off the inner part of the washer to where the wahser touches the sprocket (you will see a clear matk on it). Re-install and you should be good to go.
Keep an eye on it till you get time to do the repair.