751 fuel problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

chas902

I just purchased a 1997 751 bobcat with the 4 cyl. Peugeot engine. the fuel gauge shows fullafter I run the machine for a while it starts to bog out like it"s running out of fuel. it will only take a gallon of fuel than it is full right to the cap. I've had a camera down the fill hose and I can't see any obstruction. this has happened twice so far any ideas?

lfutrell

The most likley cause is the pick up tube in the tank, It is cracked, has a hole in it, or has come off. This is real common.

I got such good advice from "Tazza" on this forum, I felt I need to share advice with fellow 751 bobcat owner. I had same problem and it turned out to be fuel solenoid, which is electrically activated when the key is turned on. Look at the engine and see if the switch is pulling the fuel arm open. One other thing. I blew up my Peugeot engine because my Mechanic didn't time the engine properly when we replaced the timing belt. You have an interference engine there that at 1600 hr, that belt has to be replaced because if that belt breaks, pistons do jungle beat on the valves. The cam shaft broke on mine, and It costs more for the camshaft then the engine. I bought a Kubota conversion kit from dealer, with brand new engine for $8,000. Probably half that amount if you don't live in Canada. But wow, what a difference in engines..stronger, faster and takes more RPM. But don't get the dealer to install: They won't quote a price because it can be a bi*ch, no way of knowing how long it could take. Dealer price would probably $4,000 or more. I did all myself, took me 3 months and hand full of hair, but with the service manual, it can be done....but then ignore me, I have read Peugeot engines can last many years with proper service...Just make sure you can trust your Mechanic......Deano

OP
OP
C

chas902

I got such good advice from "Tazza" on this forum, I felt I need to share advice with fellow 751 bobcat owner. I had same problem and it turned out to be fuel solenoid, which is electrically activated when the key is turned on. Look at the engine and see if the switch is pulling the fuel arm open. One other thing. I blew up my Peugeot engine because my Mechanic didn't time the engine properly when we replaced the timing belt. You have an interference engine there that at 1600 hr, that belt has to be replaced because if that belt breaks, pistons do jungle beat on the valves. The cam shaft broke on mine, and It costs more for the camshaft then the engine. I bought a Kubota conversion kit from dealer, with brand new engine for $8,000. Probably half that amount if you don't live in Canada. But wow, what a difference in engines..stronger, faster and takes more RPM. But don't get the dealer to install: They won't quote a price because it can be a bi*ch, no way of knowing how long it could take. Dealer price would probably $4,000 or more. I did all myself, took me 3 months and hand full of hair, but with the service manual, it can be done....but then ignore me, I have read Peugeot engines can last many years with proper service...Just make sure you can trust your Mechanic......Deano
thanks for the reply friend, I'm having a problem finding the pick up tube. i can see the fill hose and the vent hose had my hand on the top of tank feeling around for the pick up hose no luck so far. i been checking the internet the majority of the guys say pick up line Iam going to try that first I just got to find it. this machine has a new injector pump on it.

Tazza

Staff member
thanks for the reply friend, I'm having a problem finding the pick up tube. i can see the fill hose and the vent hose had my hand on the top of tank feeling around for the pick up hose no luck so far. i been checking the internet the majority of the guys say pick up line Iam going to try that first I just got to find it. this machine has a new injector pump on it.
Lift the cab up, behind the pump is the fuel tank, under the engine. Use your hands and you should be able to feel two lines going into the fuel tank. The lines are about 1/4" fuel hose. Get a helper to jiggle the fuel line so you get the correct one. One is pickup, the other is the return. The groment should pull out of the tank with an elbow and a pickup tube attached. Ensure it's not all plugged up or cracked.
Putting it back in can be hard as over time they harden up, you can get new softer ones from the dealer.

OP
OP
C

chas902

Lift the cab up, behind the pump is the fuel tank, under the engine. Use your hands and you should be able to feel two lines going into the fuel tank. The lines are about 1/4" fuel hose. Get a helper to jiggle the fuel line so you get the correct one. One is pickup, the other is the return. The groment should pull out of the tank with an elbow and a pickup tube attached. Ensure it's not all plugged up or cracked.
Putting it back in can be hard as over time they harden up, you can get new softer ones from the dealer.
THANKS for all the good info guys!!! I found the pick up hose but had to open engine door and reach in and grab it. there was nothing on the end of the elbow.ordered the parts from the dealer they were in expensive. thanks again for your replys and help

Latest posts