75? cat shuts down every 10 minutes

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

silas

This old ford gas job will run for about 10 minutes then dies. it will not start again for another ten minutes...and this cycle continues.I just replaced starter relay and solenoid as they were rether cooked. Help. Is there a shut down system on this machine? thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
Does the engine still crank over? or are there no signs of life?
Or does it crank over and just refuse to start?

sterlclan

Does the engine still crank over? or are there no signs of life?
Or does it crank over and just refuse to start?
points? or electronic? if points check them and the condensor if eletronic could be the module in the dist. good luck Jeff

OP
OP
S

silas

points? or electronic? if points check them and the condensor if eletronic could be the module in the dist. good luck Jeff
it does not turn over for a few minutes, maybe just a click. but then it starts right up as if nothing was wrong...and on goes the cycle.

Tazza

Staff member
it does not turn over for a few minutes, maybe just a click. but then it starts right up as if nothing was wrong...and on goes the cycle.
Well, if it just clicks that sounds like battery or the copper connections inside the starter solenoid (the one attached the the motor). But that wouldn't casue it to shut down the engine after 10 mins of operation..... It *may* be a heat issue, if its air cooled check that your cooling fins are clear of any grass/dirt. If water cooled check the radiator/thermostat as it may have an over temperature cut off.
If it would just die and refuse to re-start i would suspect spark plugs, but that doesn't account for not even turning over.
Good luck.

Frank in AZ

Well, if it just clicks that sounds like battery or the copper connections inside the starter solenoid (the one attached the the motor). But that wouldn't casue it to shut down the engine after 10 mins of operation..... It *may* be a heat issue, if its air cooled check that your cooling fins are clear of any grass/dirt. If water cooled check the radiator/thermostat as it may have an over temperature cut off.
If it would just die and refuse to re-start i would suspect spark plugs, but that doesn't account for not even turning over.
Good luck.
Hi, Regardless of the condition of the ignition system or other electrical sub systems, the engine should crank when you want it to. It may not start but it should crank. You have to start right there as I believe that if you cure no crank situation you'll cure the shut down problem also. The simple thing to start with is to remove and clean the cable ends at the battery. Use a wire brush or buy an inexpensive tool for this at an auto store. If using a wire brush, wear eye protection. If you have replacement terminal ends where the wire is crimped in the connection by 2 small bolts, then replace them with new and clean the wire or cut the wire down a tad if you have room. Then clean the ground cable at the other end. Check to see if there is a ground cable from the engine to chassis to your tractor uses one and clean the connection there also. I believe this will cure both problems. If it doesn't and the engine still won't crank then look at your ignition switch. They fall apart inside sometimes and can cause loss of elecrical continuity. Don't just replace it. The fact that the starter goes 'click' when you try to start it tells me that the switch may be in fact be good. I'm still betting that it's a simple case of corroded dirty connections. Good luck