743B starting at zero degrees Fahrenheit

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

portsample

How tough is it to start a 743B when it is zero degrees Fahrenheit? Can it be done just on glow-plugs? What is the possibility of damage? I've got a machine out in the cold that I'm having to rely on others to start and move. Thanks in advance.

foton

it might need more than one cycle to get it to start depending on the condition of the engine, look and see if it has a block heater if so plug it in a few hours before attempting to start it , if you have a battery blanket use it too. starting fluid should be a last resort.

OP
OP
P

portsample

it might need more than one cycle to get it to start depending on the condition of the engine, look and see if it has a block heater if so plug it in a few hours before attempting to start it , if you have a battery blanket use it too. starting fluid should be a last resort.
Roger on your suggestions, however this machine is new to me. It is out in a freight yard (in Anchorage) and will be picked up and trucked a couple of hundred miles to me on Tuesday. Hoping that a cold start will not cause serious harm. Thanks for your reply Foton.

ylsf

Has it been sitting for a while? Hopefully battery is okay. Our old machine is a 743 and even without plug in never had an issue starting it after preheating the glow during Canadian winter except when battery was dead after being on a job site for a few months and not moved. I would let it warm up for a while before actually moved the machine.

OP
OP
P

portsample

Has it been sitting for a while? Hopefully battery is okay. Our old machine is a 743 and even without plug in never had an issue starting it after preheating the glow during Canadian winter except when battery was dead after being on a job site for a few months and not moved. I would let it warm up for a while before actually moved the machine.
Well, that was a goat rope. Took 2 days for the transfer yard in Anchorage to get it running and move it from the barge shipping container into the trucking shipping container.Container arrived in my town last night.Took 3 hours with a shop heater pointed into the engine compartment for me to get it running and out of the container this morning. Temperature here is zero degrees Fahrenheit. Suspect the problem was summer Seattle fuel gelling at zero degree temps, as well as possibly non-functioning glow plugs. Lots of questions now as I start to go through the machine...

Tazza

Staff member
Well, that was a goat rope. Took 2 days for the transfer yard in Anchorage to get it running and move it from the barge shipping container into the trucking shipping container.Container arrived in my town last night.Took 3 hours with a shop heater pointed into the engine compartment for me to get it running and out of the container this morning. Temperature here is zero degrees Fahrenheit. Suspect the problem was summer Seattle fuel gelling at zero degree temps, as well as possibly non-functioning glow plugs. Lots of questions now as I start to go through the machine...
The 743B ran a V1702 motor, they are indirect injection, they are cold blooded, so the hard starting does not mean the motor is bad, it's just how they are made.
I have always found indirect injector motors to be harder to start when cold, but direct injection start much better. I don't live in a really cold climate, mid winter, we never get below freezing. I can still start my machines easily without completing a glow cycle, as my S150 and S250 are direct injection
I'm glad you finally got it home, I bet the poor starter and battery had a hard time of the starting.

OP
OP
P

portsample

The 743B ran a V1702 motor, they are indirect injection, they are cold blooded, so the hard starting does not mean the motor is bad, it's just how they are made.
I have always found indirect injector motors to be harder to start when cold, but direct injection start much better. I don't live in a really cold climate, mid winter, we never get below freezing. I can still start my machines easily without completing a glow cycle, as my S150 and S250 are direct injection
I'm glad you finally got it home, I bet the poor starter and battery had a hard time of the starting.
Thanks for your insight.Part of the problem may have been that it had lower 48 summer diesel that was gelling, in addition to possible moisture (ice) in the fuel. All the fuel will be replaced w/fresh stuff, as well as lubricants with appropriate viscosity for this latitude and season. Best regards.

OP
OP
P

portsample

Thanks for your insight.Part of the problem may have been that it had lower 48 summer diesel that was gelling, in addition to possible moisture (ice) in the fuel. All the fuel will be replaced w/fresh stuff, as well as lubricants with appropriate viscosity for this latitude and season. Best regards.
Thanks for the lesson regarding indirect injection. New glow plugs made all the difference. Runs like a champ. Thanks.
743b.jpg

oiu789

How tough is it to start a 743B when it is zero degrees Fahrenheit? Can it be done just on glow-plugs? What is the possibility of damage? I've got a machine out in the cold that I'm having to rely on others to start and move. Thanks in advance.
Check out the glow plug system. Make sure they are getting power and ohm them out. I have used my 35k propane space heater to warm the engine I used a 12v to 120 inverter plugged into my cigarette lighter to power the heater fan because I had no 120v close.

Last edited: